Where to purchase maximum performance tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2002, 05:57 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to purchase maximum performance tires?

Just went to my local costco to check on what they have in 225/40/18
The only ones they have in the size is the BF GoodRich gforce kd, and the michelin pilot sport a/s

They dont stock the potenza pole position s-03 in ANY size even though they stock bridgestone.(i read a member got s-03s from their costco??)
The other tire I was looking at was the michelin pilot sport, they have it in 225/45/18 and not my size. When I asked about special orders they said that they cant because there only allowed to sell certain sizes to keep costs down...=( Wanted pilot sports over the a/s version bc of higher performance...

Any alternatives? I really wanted the road hazard+free mounting/balancing/rotation/flatrepair that costco has...
Old 08-02-2002, 06:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
www.tirerack.com

Tire Rack's Max Performance selection in 235/45-17

S-03 main page on Tire Rack

Here is where you can look up a "recommended installed". I highly recommend this option and have had good luck with this process:

http://www.tirerack.com/installer/index.jsp

There is a text field where you can enter a zip code and get a list of installers that they "check on"...
Old 08-02-2002, 07:22 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
www.victoriatires.com also has good stock and prices !

S03's R U L E !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-02-2002, 07:29 PM
Racer

Whats better as far as performance goes...
S-03 or Pilot Sport?
Old 08-02-2002, 07:29 PM
Racer

looking for a place with road hazard, balancing, rotation, flat guarantee....
Old 08-02-2002, 07:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by acuradan69
looking for a place with road hazard, balancing, rotation, flat guarantee....

I have Discount Tire chain in my area -- so, perhaps you can check around. I have gotten the "road hazard, balance, etc", but there is always a "caveat" of some sort.

For example -- I have low mileage, so I'll probably end up paying for rotations (IMO, Max Performance tires need to be rotated OFTEN on our car). (The Discount Tire deal specifies rotations by mileage and not by time… )

The original tire vendor gave me the "whole enchilada" you mentioned, but were such suck-heads over some SSR center caps that I'll never go back to them – EVER!!!! What a bunch of jack assess…

Finally, check the "road hazard" part of your warranty. On the few Michelins (in the old days) that I purchased, I had a couple get a bad leak (no fix city) and there was so little money owed based on that pro-rated warranty, that I got a better price elsewhere (something about being a "captive" re-purchaser to really jack-up the prices).

Hey, do these guys go to "mess with your wallet" school or what?

I'd take the S-03s over the Michelin Pilots. And I still like the Toyos...

I'd like to hear some comments on Falken Azenis owners about ride quality, dry and wet handling, and hydroplaning resistance...
Old 08-03-2002, 02:29 AM
SpOon!!!!!!!

Re: Where to purchase maximum performance tires?

Originally posted by acuradan69
Just went to my local costco to check on what they have in 225/40/18
The only ones they have in the size is the BF GoodRich gforce kd, and the michelin pilot sport a/s

They dont stock the potenza pole position s-03 in ANY size even though they stock bridgestone.(i read a member got s-03s from their costco??)
I tried getting the SO3s from costco too, but they said the distributor won't give any to them. So I bought mine at http://www.tirerack.com and had American Tires put them on. I had to pay an extra 12 bucks for each tire for the road hazard+free mounting/balancing/rotation/flat repair. So far, I love how the SO3s grip, but one bad thing is that the tire is made of soft rubber, which means it'll wear out faster than other tires. So if you are still considering SO3s, you'll have to replace them about 2-3 times a year. I think the tires only last about 15K. If you are still planning to pay around the price of SO3s, the tire I recommend you should get, is the Bridgestone Potenza Re-730. Those tires almost perform as well as the SO3s, but they last longer. Well good luck choosing a tire.
Old 08-03-2002, 05:08 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 6,862 Likes on 3,482 Posts
www.precisioninstallations.com or www.tiremax.com Both have good prices on desirable tires for our cars.