What do I need with TEIN SS coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 11:40 AM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

Received 138 Likes on 124 Posts
What do I need with TEIN SS coilovers

So i'm about to buy tein ss coilovers with 16000km (one summer) on them for 700 CAD off a guy in my area. My car has SO much sway it frigging dangerous after 65mph... so i'm getting the good shyt to ensure this never happs AGAIN
BUT I want to know if I need anything else??

NOTE* these do not come with top mounts so I will need to re-use my old ones THUS i cannot adjust my camber

SO DO I NEED: rear camber kit from wicked tuning..
front camber kit from???

ALSO NOTE that I am only dropping my car the MINIMUM the shocks can go which is -1.7 in the front and -1.5 in the rear.

My concern is how bad will the camber be?? won't it screw the tread wear on the tires?

And one more thing?? can I just do the rear camber and forget the front?

basically... wtf should I be doing along with the suspension changover?

Thanks everyone!!
Old 07-06-2009, 12:10 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
If it's dropped the minimum you won't need a camber kit. I'm fairly low on tein basics and i'm still within spec. I did the front coilovers in my driveway...super easy. The rear was a bit of a pain. If you can get the end links off then the rears are easy too.

Are you going to tackle it yourself?
Old 07-06-2009, 12:40 PM
tigerstyle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are only planning on dropping the minimum you can get new springs/struts to do the same for cheaper. Eibach springs will drop you 2" front and 1.7" rear and won't require camber kit. Get some tokico struts, a RSB and new end links and you will be looking, handling, riding much better and even accelerating smoother.

Not sure what the pain would be for the rear, my rears went in extremely quick. As long as you have spring compressor and air tools it is fairly easy.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:50 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

yes I am tackling it myself..

I want to get coilovers cause I HATE body roll and I know this will solve that issue. AND my rear shocks are blown I think cause sway is rediculous!!! So i wanna get it all new so i know it'll solve the issue.

This tein set wasn't used in the winter either and is extremely low milage. So i'm pretty well dead set of grabbing these at 8pm tonight.

But as for camber I shouldn't need to do anything? Sweet

So I re-use my old mounts and that's about it?

I have cross-drilled rotors, p2r tb spacer and plenums in the mail right now and soon i'll have the coilovers so I got my hands full for a day or 2 with that.

One more QUESTION: will I need an allignment ?

ALSO: when i turn right now hard (either way) my tires make a squeaking noise EVERY ROTATION on hard turns. I just had the allignment done at Acura so wtf could it be?? I assume it is my blown struts putting more weight on certain points on different parts of my suspension but that is speculation.

THE DLR SAID they dunno wtf it is and cannot fix it.

I said BS!!! that shyt needs to be fixed. any idea what that causwe is and if this whole suspension will eliminate that??

Prolly I should do the suspension myself and then bring it to an allignment shop and have them tweak everything to perfection???

Thanks for the quick reply ppl... time is of the essence since I am grabbing those puppies very soon.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:59 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
Yes re-use your stock top hats. There's a very good DIY on suspension installation here somewhere. It's very helpful, gives torque specs for all bolts.

That squeal could be your tire pressure. I think older tires tend to start squealing on turns also.

I did my coilover install and played with the height for about a week, then went and had an alignment. You should always get an alignment after lowering. Let me know if you need any help, i'm in the area. Weekends are pretty busy for me but just let me know.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:40 PM
lowrd on tein CS biatch

tru well i just got my visa statement so i gotta put down 800 on that so i cannot buy the coilovers till the friday after next... BALZ.. but i'll defs keep in touch about that for sure. Thanks

And BTW the tires are BRAND NEW michelin mxm4's which is why it doesn't make ANY sense.