Two New Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 06:23 PM
One who Laps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two New Tires

I've Been Riding On Dunlop Sp-9000's For A While Now And I'm Extremely Pleased But Yesterday Had To Buy 2 New Tires Due To Mechanical Wear Because Of My Comptech Drop.
I've Now Gone Through A Camber Install And Two Alignments To Corect The Problem, So My Question Is Where Do I Install The New Tires, Up Front Or In Back.
Just Wondering What The Forum Thought Process Was On This Subject.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:28 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
put the new ones on the front
Old 07-19-2004, 06:31 PM
One who Laps

That's what I did but I've seen prior posts where guys reccommended putting new tires on the back, which made me wonder.
Thanks.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:48 PM
Devil's Advocate Returns

Originally Posted by sonor kid
That's what I did but I've seen prior posts where guys reccommended putting new tires on the back, which made me wonder.
Originally Posted by sonor kid

Thanks.

Michelin would have you put them on the back...

However, with your front wheels doing most of the stopping in the dry AND wet (since the car is so bloody front heavy), that's where you are going to be getting most of your braking power from. Where do you want the best tires -- hey?

If you are more concerned about hydroplane issues, and having the tail come around, then you might consider "owning" the Michelin version and ALWAYS put your new tires on the back....

Old 07-19-2004, 06:50 PM
Drifting

it's usually recommened to mount the newer tires in the rear so that oversteer is less likely to occur and is easier to handle is if does.

the theory is that if the bad tires are mounted in front and understeer occurs, most drivers can react correctly and act to correct it. most drivers can't catch and control a vehicle in an oversteer situation.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:02 PM
Devil's Advocate Returns

Originally Posted by DRM600
it's usually recommened to mount the newer tires in the rear so that oversteer is less likely to occur and is easier to handle is if does.
Originally Posted by DRM600

the theory is that if the bad tires are mounted in front and understeer occurs, most drivers can react correctly and act to correct it. most drivers can't catch and control a vehicle in an oversteer situation.

What does "usually" mean?

I've had people (tire dealers, tire reps, engineers) recommend both front and/or rear depending on their "fear" of which end is going to get less grip and what they've been told and more….

The "Michelin" explanation definitely includes your “most drivers can’t catch and control a vehicle in an oversteer situation” comment. However, Michelin also includes footprints of how the tires move through water at speed (they've got the gear to do the dynamics studies). And show the tire with less tread having “trouble” moving through water at speed.

OTOH, I don't know if anyone can make a simple case of this…

1. If you drive carefully enough and are running in a straight line, you will see the rear tires following in an "evacuation" zone where water has been "plowed-away" by the front tires. Michelin doesn't comment on this *and* this would depend on the front to rear wheelbase dimensions, how the driver drives, and is the car tracking in a straight line.

2. If you are in the dry, and you run into the back of another car *and* could have avoided the collision with -3 feet of less braking zone (from the new and stickier tires), who are you going to blame?

At least know all the info, or at least know some of the info that goes into making an informed decision...

IMO, it isn't black and white...
Old 07-19-2004, 07:23 PM
One who Laps

Interesting Comments, I Knew I Would Get Differing Opinions On This Subject.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:27 AM
Rod
Drifting

Interesting stuff, I always thought you just put them on the drive wheels, front if the car is FWD and the rear if the car is RWD, since they would be getting the most wear.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Rod
Interesting stuff, I always thought you just put them on the drive wheels, front if the car is FWD and the rear if the car is RWD, since they would be getting the most wear.
This is what I've been told too.