Tires and Patches?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2001, 05:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires and Patches?

A picture is worth a thousand words. What is the limit as to the number of times a tire can be patched? This tire had one from the Summer, and again today. I get to drive @ 50mph until tomorrow at lunch.
Couple tips... Get a good flashlight. I dropped mine and it got dim. I don't know the principles behind that little phenomenon but I'm willing to learn! Make sure you have the e-brake (parking?) on. That's common sense. What genius painted the jack and tire irons black? I spray painted mine fluorescent orange. It came in handy today with my 50% brightness flashlight. Lousy rotten no good roofing nails. My land lord said he would take a huge magnet and pick all of them up. Apparently he didn't. I told him about it and he said he'll pay for the tire/repair. He's pretty old, I think he's trying to get into Heaven. You know, doing some spritual cramming.
Old 11-26-2001, 05:48 PM
Banned

I thought about painting the whole car flourscent but nah... I didn't have enough paint.
Old 11-26-2001, 06:02 PM
Advanced

Nice picture of the donut. I picked up a small nail a few days ago, but wheelworks assures me that it didn't get even close to puncturing the tire. I haven't lost any PSI since they pulled it out, so it looks like they were right.

Anyway, everyone ought to check the tire pressure on that donut. My CL-S was up around 55 PSI (should be 60), but my 99 TL donut was down to 40 PSI or so (identical tire, should also be 60). These things are only rated for 50 miles or so, at 50 mph, and that's at the full 60 psi pressure; I would imagine they become unsafe much quicker if they're underinflated...
Old 11-26-2001, 06:06 PM
Banned

Originally posted by aciurczak
Nice picture of the donut. I picked up a small nail a few days ago, but wheelworks assures me that it didn't get even close to puncturing the tire. I haven't lost any PSI since they pulled it out, so it looks like they were right.

Anyway, everyone ought to check the tire pressure on that donut. My CL-S was up around 55 PSI (should be 60), but my 99 TL donut was down to 40 PSI or so (identical tire, should also be 60). These things are only rated for 50 miles or so, at 50 mph, and that's at the full 60 psi pressure; I would imagine they become unsafe much quicker if they're underinflated...
Go to Chris at WheelWorks in SF...Ocean Street or Moo at Firestone San Mateo....they'll give you excellent service....they are CL experts now...
Old 11-26-2001, 06:38 PM
Instructor

How many times can the donut be patched?
Old 11-26-2001, 06:44 PM
Old timer

Hey that reminds me I have a patch on one of my tires since around mid-summer. I forgot about that.

Btw, the bright orange toolz are cool.

And I gotta ask... did you use the wheel lock on the donut???
Old 11-26-2001, 09:01 PM
Banned

Originally posted by JRock
Hey that reminds me I have a patch on one of my tires since around mid-summer. I forgot about that.

Btw, the bright orange toolz are cool.

And I gotta ask... did you use the wheel lock on the donut???
It was just some spray paint my dad had laying around in the basement. Yes... I did use the wheel lock on the spare! My flashlight had indigestion and the light in the trunk is about the same brightness of a firefly. So I didn't feel like getting up and searching for the other lug nut. You can tell from that picture? Is it possible to put a brighter one in there?
Another thing, I drove to the service station to get it patched with the windows open. I don't trust those things, and I didn't trust my workmanship. So I drove around the block five times listening for something (like a wheel falling off) then got on the main road. I'll check the pressure in that rat bastard.