suspenssion fixing help

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 02:06 AM
is planing PrisonBreak in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
suspenssion fixing help

So I posted earlier in problems and fixes asking for help with figureing out what the hell is wrong with my suspension. I have been hearing this noise from my left front when I go over uneven pavement at low speed, its kind of nobbing sound not clunking feels like something is loose not broken. Also I noticed that when I turn steerig wheel hear a noise when i do back and forth turning of the steering wheel usually backing up the car and letting it roll into the parking spot in nuteral or R... and again feels like something is loose. Well I took the driver front wheel off to check it out and couldnt see anything below are some pics I took of things I thought would be the problem, do anyone see anything unusual as you guys have done some work on suspension and stuff. but any suggessions or advise will be appreciated as I dont know much about suspension. Oh an i am on stockies of 03 cls.
Oh and at my last oil change like a month ago and stealer said that ball joints would need replacement soon, which I dont believe as they looked fine at that time. I am really worried as i have to drive it everyday and roads here are bad!!

I apologize if pics are not clear, I do not have a camera these are with my cell phone and when using flas they just look worse as you can see.

close up of the ball joint on control arm

lower arm

I think this is lower ball joint and if you can see the red oval around that rod, is the steering control or just tension rod not sure???

here's another view from top

and another view is there something wrong with this jount?? the boot was in good shape just how its away from the joint not sure

Old 04-11-2010, 01:03 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,391 Likes on 4,937 Posts

The circled joint is the sway bar end link. How many miles are on your car? They are easy and cheap to replace, so Id get them anyway. Go to Napa or someplace like that and get the Moog end links, they are greaseable. The other part is the tie rod end. I replaced mine as well because they had over 100k miles on them. I have yet to do my innner tie rod ends, but I need to. If I wiggle the steering wheel when the car is parked I hear a clicking noise from it. Im pretty sure thats what it is from.

As far as your rubbing noise, does it sound like rubber rubbing on something or metal on metal?

EDIT Just noticed in this picture:

It appears that the dust plate behing the caliper is rubbing on the lower portion of the brake rotor. Bend that away from it, that may be the source of your rubbing noise.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:47 PM
is planing PrisonBreak in

Thanks for you input.. yeah sway bar thats what I thought but from the pic where I mentioned how the boot is away from the joint you think that is normal, I pulled and pused everything but no budgine anywhere but the noise is still there. My have have about 67k and nothing have been done to suspension only changed mounts a while back
Its hard to describe the sound, only hear with windows closed and going over small bumps or uneven pavement, again sounds like something is loose not broken kinda like
Doodle-Doudle..
and i am sorry but there is no rubbing sound and the plate is fine its not touching the caliper.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:36 AM
3.7L Nitrous Breathing CL

Received 160 Likes on 140 Posts
Grab your upper arm on either side of the ball joint and give some quick jerks towards your self.
It will make noise when the bushings are no good.
the bushings will cause your symtoms.
end links,and ball joints can too ,shake it down,you will feel it

Last edited by richardparker; 05-02-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 02:01 PM
8th Gear

Im in the same boat right now... i replaced upper, lower ball joints and tie rod ends.. found out that its the bushing from frame to lower control arm that has a awful rubbing sound when i turn the steering wheel and sometimes while driving down the road. hope that helps
Old 05-04-2010, 02:04 PM
8th Gear

forgot.. the way i found out was i sprayed some lubricant in on the bushing and it made it 20 times worse than it was.. FML...
Old 05-15-2012, 03:00 PM
4th Gear

I have a similar problem with the rubber rubbing sound on the passenger side. I have 219K on my '04. I just had the upper and lower control arms, upper and lower ball joints, outer tie rod ends and sway bar links replaced. Any ideas?
Old 05-16-2012, 07:39 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Hmmmm this is a popular topic I see! I've got a creeking metal to metal noise over bumps and when backing out and turning from my driveway. What's worse is I've had a shimmy during acceleration only, that has gotten terrible over the past week or two. I ordered upper and lower ball joints (Moog) that I'm replacing today so hopefully that's it. I've replaced sway bar links(Moog) and inner/outer tie rods(Moog). Not sure what the source of my problem is but I'll chime in later when it's done and let you guys know. Any thoughts on my issue would be greatly appreciated. What do you think Civic? I know you do alot of hands on with yours. I'm just afraid my wheel is going to go flying off one of these days since I kinda abuse my CLS!
Old 06-01-2012, 09:51 PM
6th Gear

so i left the so called dealership(not acura)where i bought the used cl and have been in service for three weeks back and forth . they cant figure it out. im sure its something to do with the ball joints control arm etc etc etc. havent started digging into to much cause they cant tell me what it is. but they did say it may be the power steering pump. but my noise is more of a humming or rubbing noise .who knows?might have to take it to acura....anyone in chicagoland area work on acuras ...
Old 06-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
i have teh same problem too i find the noise to be worse when its colder sounds like high squeeky sound when i turn... its embarrassing
Old 01-30-2013, 09:21 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, did you ever find out what was the problem? I was hearing loud clicking & popping on mine on bumps too and it turned out to be a broken motor mount on the passenger side. Its right across from the power steering pulley...part was like $10.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
It cant be a broken motor mount. If that is the case when he accelerate he would her a hitting sound as the engine rocks backwards. The clunking over bumps seem to be more related to the swaybar bushing, loose clamp on bushing or end links.