SPRINGS: H&R and Comptech... the battle ends here.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 11:24 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Guys i do have OE rims About pics Smiley sorry 2 weeks ago someone tried to still my headligths I Have to fix the fender But ill take the pictures this sunday any way . Thank you guys for the advices !
Old 12-17-2004, 11:25 PM
Instructor

so you think i'm ok ? I have to check those springs on snow....have no idea what to expect
Old 12-20-2004, 11:23 AM
Drifting

You can not possibly be having rubbing on OEM wheels. Have the install checked out.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:25 AM
Drifting

If you want the OEs...I have a set for $100 shipped...used.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:13 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by peiqinglong
You can not possibly be having rubbing on OEM wheels. Have the install checked out.
It is not like all the time . But when there is a bump ............then i have a problem . Roads in NY are bad In general i love the springs even rake look is not that bad . I do have OE roms and OE size tires .
Old 12-20-2004, 11:16 PM
Instructor

If you want the OEs...I have a set for $100 shipped...used.
Wow this is chip . Honestly i don't know what i whant . I love 50103 . They are way better than OE . My friend have OE . You can feel the difference . My concern is how dangerous it may be . Thanks for the offer any way . I paid 200 for install , 20 tip so if ill do that one more time .......... Thanks .
Old 12-21-2004, 11:05 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by fantom
It is not like all the time . But when there is a bump ............then i have a problem . Roads in NY are bad In general i love the springs even rake look is not that bad . I do have OE roms and OE size tires .
Are you plowing through the cracks and bumps in the streets? SF streets are just are bad I really don't have too much problem (I have about 3 inch drop) or my gf who has the HR Sport on her TL.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:47 PM
Instructor

Are you plowing through the cracks and bumps in the streets? SF streets are just are bad I really don't have too much problem (I have about 3 inch drop) or my gf who has the HR Sport on her TL.
IT is much better now . I think i was scared . That's all . Yesturday i installed Eibach Anti roll kit . Front and rear . BIG DIFFERENCE now you can feel control over the car .
I guess i was scared . I got in to the hole a week ago and damaged my tire
almost new tires . That's the reason i got scared but today i checked the same hole .....it is huge ! Even for regular car . So i guess no more worries .
Sorry not to post any pics as so0n ill find time i'll put them all ! Thank you guys!
Old 01-14-2005, 09:20 PM
Burning Brakes

can someone repost pix...pleaseeee!!!
thanks
Old 01-15-2005, 07:39 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by fantom
guys 2 weeks ago i got installed H&R sport 50103 . Unfortunatelly bc of bad advice i got them
Dude, I gave you the right advice, you kept asking questions that were all the same. I told you the difference between 50103 amd 51858. I have the 51858's because they are the OLDER springs, not OE. Don't PM if you don't want good advice.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Racer

can someone repost pix...pleaseeee!!!
What do you want pics of? I just got the H&R Sport #50103 installed on my 03 TL-S on Tuesday which I can post some before and after pics of if you'd like. Just post back here and let me know.
Old 01-16-2005, 01:22 AM
Burning Brakes

yes... pix of the ct's and pix of the h&r.. thanks for your help
Old 01-16-2005, 03:42 PM
Racer

Here's my car before I installed the H&R Sport springs:

And here she is two days after install:

One more after lowering:

Click here to see the rest of my pictures!
Old 01-17-2005, 01:29 AM
Burning Brakes

wow those look really great...... anyone with the CT springs....?????
thanks typesdriver
Old 01-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Cruisin'

Help...probably a lousy question...

Hey I'm new here but have been reading a bunch of postings over the last month or so. I'd like to see all the pics that have been posted, specifically Comptech vs. H&R springs, but I am missing something with my computer. Most of the pics show up as a small box with a red X. Whats the deal? If anybody knows what to do let me know...Thx.
Old 01-22-2005, 06:57 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
here is my TL with Comptech springs and TSX rims
Old 02-23-2005, 11:28 PM
Intermediate

I'm looking for springs and this thread is great! I still have the factory rims on my 01 cls and want to get springs. It seems if I go with the 51858's the back will sit too low. Can anyone recommend something if I plan on putting at least 1 person in the back with later on getting 18's or 19's?
Old 03-02-2005, 01:04 PM
Drifting

Oh crap...I must have changed the link locations for the pics. DOH! For now use this link until I have a chance to fix these. http://www.bui4ever.com/pics/car_mods BTW...I still have a ton of other pics to put up...so be patient and keep checking back.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:54 PM
dynamic Duo!

WHOA.. sorry guys, i never even knew my thread was still active.

sorry about that ppl.... anyway, by popular demand... here's the pictures. it'd be best to just download both of them and keep switching back and forth... you'll see the difference.

COMPTECHS

H&R Sport
Old 03-02-2005, 09:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Keep in mind, the new Comptech springs are the same as the Eibach Prokit (just relabeled as Comptech) The drop is much more than the original Comptechs.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:29 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Keep in mind, the new Comptech springs are the same as the Eibach Prokit (just relabeled as Comptech) The drop is much more than the original Comptechs.
is it enough to need a camber kit? and another question, does it matter if you drive with your camber off some? I mean will it hurt the car any, I know it will make your tires wear bad, but it that the only reason to get a camber kit?
Old 03-09-2005, 11:11 PM
Drinking Beer In

This is a very informative thread, and yet I still have questions... I'm looking to replace my Comptechs, and I wouldn't mind a sliiiiiightly lower drop. However, I'm unwilling to put up with a harsher ride, so I've been trying to find spring rate information - it's hard to come by.

I'm thinking about the Tein s-tech coils (1.8" drop both ends), but don't find any info or opinions about them on here. They sure are cheep, but I dunno...

Anyone tried these?

Yes I know I'll probably need a camber kit.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:55 AM
Drifting

I heard the ride on them was ok. Not too soft, but not too harsh. I would look into H&R Sport as an alternative. If you have the money, Tein SS coilovers.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:50 AM
Member this

Springs.

There truly is no better or best springs IMO. It's more about what works the best for your situation. Each springs have their pluses and minuses.

Comptech Springs.

Nice and basic spring for the "starters" or those who want conservative drops. Ride feel is very much like stock, reason being is because the spring rate is only 10% stiffer than stock. Some people like the "rake" look, others don't. Fairly conservative drop also, being 1.5 inchs in the front and 1.0 inch in the rear.

H&R Sport Springs.

As far as looks, it's a nicer drop. Ride is about 20% or so stiffer. With lower offset rims, the rears do rub/scrape. Rolling of fenders usually alleviates some of the problems, but the problem still mainly exist especially in cases when there are a lot of people in the rear. Handling wise, the stiffer rates allow better cornering. The drop on this is about 2.2 inchs in the front and 1.5 in the rear.

H&R OE Springs.

Basically this is what most would refer to as an "even" drop. The rear is lower than the front. About 1.0 inch in the front and 1.5 inch in the rear. Stiffness wise, I would say it is about 15-20% stiffer than stock. You most likely would encounter the same issue with the H&R Sport Springs in the rear because of the drop height in the rear.

Neuspeed Sport Springs.

This is more performance oriented spring. It's about 30% stiffer than stock. Definitely feel more of the road and more connected. Drop height is raked also.

Also other things to consider.
The lower the drop, the higher degree of camber adjustment you may need. Usually any drop lower than 2.0 inch will require a camber kit. The only way to know for sure, is to get an alignment 2 weeks to a month after the springs have been installed (new or used, they will settle still).

Also for some odd reason, many people with the CT springs do need rear camber kits.
cant see the pictures
Old 03-14-2005, 01:54 AM
Drifting

Since it seems I can't edit this post...I'll just make a new one.

Springs.

There truly is no better or best springs IMO. It's more about what works the best for your situation. Each springs have their pluses and minuses.

Comptech Springs.

Nice and basic spring for the "starters" or those who want conservative drops. Ride feel is very much like stock, reason being is because the spring rate is only 10% stiffer than stock. Some people like the "rake" look, others don't. Fairly conservative drop also, being 1.5 inchs in the front and 1.0 inch in the rear.

Comptech Springs

H&R Sport Springs.

As far as looks, it's a nicer drop. Ride is about 20% or so stiffer. With lower offset rims, the rears do rub/scrape. Rolling of fenders usually alleviates some of the problems, but the problem still mainly exist especially in cases when there are a lot of people in the rear. Handling wise, the stiffer rates allow better cornering. The drop on this is about 2.2 inchs in the front and 1.5 in the rear.

H&R OE Springs.

Basically this is what most would refer to as an "even" drop. The rear is lower than the front. About 1.0 inch in the front and 1.5 inch in the rear. Stiffness wise, I would say it is about 15-20% stiffer than stock. You most likely would encounter the same issue with the H&R Sport Springs in the rear because of the drop height in the rear.

H&R OE Springs

Neuspeed Sport Springs.

This is more performance oriented spring. It's about 30% stiffer than stock. Definitely feel more of the road and more connected. Drop height is raked also.

Neuspeed Sport Springs

Also other things to consider.
The lower the drop, the higher degree of camber adjustment you may need. Usually any drop lower than 2.0 inch will require a camber kit. The only way to know for sure, is to get an alignment 2 weeks to a month after the springs have been installed (new or used, they will settle still).

Also for some odd reason, many people with the CT springs do need rear camber kits.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:08 AM
Drifting

Coilovers.

Now this is where we start getting hardcore . What defines a coilover? Well it must have a height adjustable springs and shocks. If it is just height adjustable springs, it is called sleeves and not coilovers. You can also get really fancy with coilovers and have adjustable shocks with them. This all adds to the comfort and performance of the suspension. Today, we'll look at the coilovers.

Tein.
Tein is a leading suspension maker in Japan. The only available coilover kit for our cars (CL/TL/V6 Accord) from Tein is the Tein Basic and Tein S/S. Both come with springs and shocks. The difference is that the Tein Basic does not have adjustable dampers (which means the shocks can not adjust the ride feel). The level of adjustment for the Tein S/S is about stock height to about 3 inch drop using the stock Tein spring that comes with the package. The Tein S/S kit used on the TL, can install the optional Electronic Force Damper Control (EDFC) which is a device that resides in the car that can allow for realtime damper adjustment for system suspension fine tuning. The EDFC does not control height. The ride of the Teins are about similar to Comptech as far as stiffness wise, and better in terms of performance. One thing that some people will notice, those who will lower their car with the Tein S/S lower than 2 inchs front or back will experience "bottom-out" sensation. Cause for this problem is because the spring rates were designed for the Accord and not the CL/TL which puts it 400lbs heavier than the Accord. This can be easily remedied, by purchasing upgraded springs. But do keep in mind, the stiffer the spring, the harsher the ride, but the better the performance. But this is one thing that makes Tein unique and versatile. The ability to customize how stiff of springs you want on the kit. The damper is a neat function available on the Teins. It offers 16 points of adjustment. From soft to stiff. The stock spring rate is 7kg/f in the front and 5kg/f in the rear. I had 9kg/f in the front. Tein also has a USA division now, so if you blow a shock, they can repair it in house in LA. One other bad thing, at the moment Tein does not offer a pillow mount for these kits. They are however in developement.

Tein SS

Endless Zeal B6 Function.
Endless is another top leading maker in the Japanese suspension market. They have different kits just like Tein that cater to various applications. The one that fits the CL/TL/Accord is the B6 kit. This is the track kit from Endless. These coilovers are very stiff but offer great performance. The spring rate is as follows: 12kg/f in the front and 9kg/f in the rear. These coilovers also offer adjustable dampers, but only 6 levels. The drop height of this coilover is anywhere from 2.8 inchs to 5 inchs. The only issue with these coilovers is ride quality. There is none. This is purely performance. Very well built. One other bad thing is that if you blow a shock, you have to send these back to Japan for rebuilding. Ask Mantis...he'll tell you. This kit does include pillow mounts, but if you want the adjustable camber pillow mounts, that is optional. Very low chance of bottoming out due to stiffer springs and shocks.

Endless Zeal

NEX Coilovers.
These coilovers were developed by NEX who resides here in California. They have two kits for our car. One is the RS kit and the other is the SS kit. The SS kit is the track version. I only have knowledge of the SS kit so I can only comment about those. I currently have these on my car. They are as stiff as the Zeal B6. The height drop available is also the same. The only issue is that there is no adjustable dampers. It's only adjustable height. These do come with pillow mounts, but not adjustables camber ones. Very low chance of bottoming out due to stiffer springs and shocks.

NEX SS
Old 03-14-2005, 02:10 AM
Drifting

Pillow Mounts.

I imagine some of you never heard of what a pillow mount is or what it does. Let me assist you. For the next part fo the informative post of the year by me, we'll discuss pillow mounts. For further reading, you may wish to visit this. But for a basic run down. Your car has pillow mounts. It comes stock. When you use springs, you'll basically be reusing your stock pillow mounts. This is also true if you are using the Tein S/S kit also. So what about all the other kits with upgraded pillow mounts you ask? Well there are two types of pillow mounts. We'll discuss the first one first . The first type is just your ordinary big chunk of aluminum or whatever metal they wish to use to make it. By having an aftermarket one that is thicker than your stock one, it allows for better steering response because the springs can't "dig" so much into the thicker ones as it can in the flimsy little stock one. This is also makes the ride stiffer also. The second type of pillow mount is the adjustable camber pillow mount. This does away with the need for camber kits because camber adjustments are done straight from top. And usually with the camber adjustments being up there, it's easier to get closer if not at stock numbers.

The picture shown below is a comparasion between the NEX kit (right) and the Tein S/S kit (left). This picture shows two things, the difference in the upper pillow mount and why the NEX can never be set to stock height and why the NEX can go lower than the Tein can.

Old 03-14-2005, 02:12 AM
Drifting

Continue checking on those links...I'll be adding more pics as I have time.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:55 PM
Dipset All Day, Everyday

nice write up, but you forgot about Tein springs
Old 03-14-2005, 06:10 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by HellaShookOne
nice write up, but you forgot about Tein springs
Didn't forget about them actually...just didn't have the opportunity to personally experience them a lot yet.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:59 PM
Dipset All Day, Everyday

i can post pix in the next couple days if someone wants
Old 03-18-2005, 11:04 PM
Instructor

Springs.
The only way to know for sure, is to get an alignment 2 weeks to a month after the springs have been installed (new or used, they will settle still).

I read the whole post......am still a little confused. Maybe I missed it,it could be obvious,but how do you tell if you need a camber kit after the alignment has been done? How long would it take to know. And from what I read I could correct it with the pillowmounts?
Old 03-18-2005, 11:55 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Frainky
I read the whole post......am still a little confused. Maybe I missed it,it could be obvious,but how do you tell if you need a camber kit after the alignment has been done? How long would it take to know. And from what I read I could correct it with the pillowmounts?
After springs are installed, wait 2 weeks. Go in for an alignment. After the techs complete the alignment, they should have on screen and print out for you, how many degrees off camber you are and if your toe is bad too. It should be a set of 4 numbers, 1 for the driver front, 1 for the driver rear, 1 for the passenger front, and 1 for the passenger rear tires. If the readings show that you are more than 1.0 out of camber spec (camber spec is perfect 0), then you will most likely want cambers to correct it back to 0. After getting cambers installed, you get another alignment and they alignment person will make teh necessary corrections to bring all tires back to 0 or as close to 0 as possible. Pillow mounts only help you if they are adjustable camber pillow mounts.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:56 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by HellaShookOne
i can post pix in the next couple days if someone wants
Post them
Old 03-23-2007, 07:18 PM
dynamic Duo!

Thread revived! Here are the pictures once again.

Comptech's

H&R's

Old 03-24-2007, 09:53 AM
B A N N E D

How do u guys think the H&R Sports with set of tokico HP blues would go ?

nvm. i can totaly see the diff int he frotn from the CT and HR springs. THANKS!

i just bought a set of H&R Sports from a guy in here picking them up in a week.!

im also ordering a pair of tokico HP blues off Ebay!

im XS headers should be here any day now and i am going to order the Magnaflow Mufflers by next check....

the money pit has finally started...
Old 05-06-2007, 07:14 PM
Missing my

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I know this thread is a little old, but I wanted to know if there is a major performance difference between the Tokico Illuminas and the Koni Yellows. There is a pretty big price difference. Going even cheaper, how about Tokico Blues. I really doubt I would ever adjust the settings on my shocks anyway...

This is my daily driver, so I really would like to maintain the comfort of stock, with better handling abilities and a nice clean look. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!
Old 05-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Burning Brakes

pix not working =(
Old 05-10-2007, 07:43 PM
Missing my

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Please? Any advice on Koni Yellows vs. Tokico Blues vs. Illuminas? I will probably never change the settings and want a ride as close to stock as mechanically possible. Thanks!
Old 05-25-2007, 12:44 PM
I'll put you in the wall

this thread has been informative yet confusing at the same time. the stock wheelgap on the CL is 3in in front and 2.5 in rear, so i imagined i would want it dropped a half inch less in the rear, but after seeing the older comptech springs, the car looks goofy, and not even at all. The H&R old ones look good, but im worried about the height for either of the sets, as none of them were designed for the CL at all, so i don't know the exact drop for the CL on either set and the spring rates weren't designed for the CL either. The tein S tech seem to have a pretty even drop, but i would rather it be a couple mm higher in the back. Plus, the springrates on the Teins are really low for the rear, almost like stock i imagine. That can't help handling too much, or understeer. I think i have decided with the Neuspeed sports for the CL. Its 1.8 in front and 1.7 in rear, and the springrates are 285fr and 300 rear. Considering that the car's weight is pretty evenly distributed for a front wheel drive car, i dont want a sloppy stock rear. If the car is ever raced, i would want it stiffer in the rear than the front anyway. 285 in the front isnt too stiff, and the 300 in the rear will help handling, even if i keep the factory shocks til they blow out. I don't think i'd want the front any lower than that, and the new comptechs are 2in front 1.7 rear, which will probably still have that slightly raked look. Anyone agree/disagree? just my .