SPRINGS: H&R and Comptech... the battle ends here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2003, 04:50 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
i like the copmtech look better reminds me of the old sc400 mmmmmmm sc400
Old 11-26-2003, 05:46 AM
One who Laps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I infact do have a camber issue with the Comptech springs, so I had to order a camber kit from Comptech.
I love when people start a thread like this and state that there is no issue with something, like the camber statement made in the first post!
Don't try to tell me the ride is the same either, because it's not, it's very similar though.
Old 11-26-2003, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

Originally posted by hemants

Acura TLS fan = I guess what you are saying is that the Tiens are too harsh? Is that true even on the highest and softest settings?
You can say that, for the same handling/performace of H&R, the Tiens had to be adjusted to be stiffer. The springs on the teins are not stiff enough....i think the ones come with the kit is 7 kg/ft, and the upgraded ones are 9 kg/ft.

But you can adjust the teins to be soft, but you will lose on handling.

The teins can be adj. from 1-16, 1 being the softest. 8 is very very close to a stock ride, a bleend b/t ride & handing. I run mine on 12, which the ride begains to get a bit harsher, but still, i don't feel like it handles like H&R. I wouldn't adj. above 14 for regular driving. It get's too harsh after that, you will feel every imperfection in the road.
Old 11-27-2003, 03:17 AM
Advanced

how come no one has mentioned eibach, how does eibach compare to ct and h&r, does h&r sport require camber kit, do the eibach pro kit require camber kit? please comment on the ride and cost including camber kit for all 3. At the end, ct should be cheaper becuz it doesnt require purchasing camber kit???shed sum light on a noob
Old 11-28-2003, 06:54 PM
Drifting

Springs.

There truly is no better or best springs IMO. It's more about what works the best for your situation. Each springs have their pluses and minuses.

Comptech Springs.

Nice and basic spring for the "starters" or those who want conservative drops. Ride feel is very much like stock, reason being is because the spring rate is only 10% stiffer than stock. Some people like the "rake" look, others don't. Fairly conservative drop also, being 1.5 inchs in the front and 1.0 inch in the rear.

H&R Sport Springs.

As far as looks, it's a nicer drop. Ride is about 20% or so stiffer. With lower offset rims, the rears do rub/scrape. Rolling of fenders usually alleviates some of the problems, but the problem still mainly exist especially in cases when there are a lot of people in the rear. Handling wise, the stiffer rates allow better cornering. The drop on this is about 2.2 inchs in the front and 1.5 in the rear.

H&R OE Springs.

Basically this is what most would refer to as an "even" drop. The rear is lower than the front. About 1.0 inch in the front and 1.5 inch in the rear. Stiffness wise, I would say it is about 15-20% stiffer than stock. You most likely would encounter the same issue with the H&R Sport Springs in the rear because of the drop height in the rear.

Neuspeed Sport Springs.

This is more performance oriented spring. It's about 30% stiffer than stock. Definitely feel more of the road and more connected. Drop height is raked also.

Also other things to consider.
The lower the drop, the higher degree of camber adjustment you may need. Usually any drop lower than 2.0 inch will require a camber kit. The only way to know for sure, is to get an alignment 2 weeks to a month after the springs have been installed (new or used, they will settle still).

Also for some odd reason, many people with the CT springs do need rear camber kits.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:20 PM
Drifting

Coilovers.

Now this is where we start getting hardcore . What defines a coilover? Well it must have a height adjustable springs and shocks. If it is just height adjustable springs, it is called sleeves and not coilovers. You can also get really fancy with coilovers and have adjustable shocks with them. This all adds to the comfort and performance of the suspension. Today, we'll look at the coilovers.

Tein.
Tein is a leading suspension maker in Japan. The only available coilover kit for our cars (CL/TL/V6 Accord) from Tein is the Tein Basic and Tein S/S. Both come with springs and shocks. The difference is that the Tein Basic does not have adjustable dampers (which means the shocks can not adjust the ride feel). The level of adjustment for the Tein S/S is about stock height to about 3 inch drop using the stock Tein spring that comes with the package. The Tein S/S kit used on the TL, can install the optional Electronic Force Damper Control (EDFC) which is a device that resides in the car that can allow for realtime damper adjustment for system suspension fine tuning. The EDFC does not control height. The ride of the Teins are about similar to Comptech as far as stiffness wise, and better in terms of performance. One thing that some people will notice, those who will lower their car with the Tein S/S lower than 2 inchs front or back will experience "bottom-out" sensation. Cause for this problem is because the spring rates were designed for the Accord and not the CL/TL which puts it 400lbs heavier than the Accord. This can be easily remedied, by purchasing upgraded springs. But do keep in mind, the stiffer the spring, the harsher the ride, but the better the performance. But this is one thing that makes Tein unique and versatile. The ability to customize how stiff of springs you want on the kit. The damper is a neat function available on the Teins. It offers 16 points of adjustment. From soft to stiff. The stock spring rate is 7kg/f in the front and 5kg/f in the rear. I had 9kg/f in the front. Tein also has a USA division now, so if you blow a shock, they can repair it in house in LA. One other bad thing, at the moment Tein does not offer a pillow mount for these kits. They are however in developement.

Endless Zeal B6 Function.
Endless is another top leading maker in the Japanese suspension market. They have different kits just like Tein that cater to various applications. The one that fits the CL/TL/Accord is the B6 kit. This is the track kit from Endless. These coilovers are very stiff but offer great performance. The spring rate is as follows: 12kg/f in the front and 9kg/f in the rear. These coilovers also offer adjustable dampers, but only 6 levels. The drop height of this coilover is anywhere from 2.8 inchs to 5 inchs. The only issue with these coilovers is ride quality. There is none. This is purely performance. Very well built. One other bad thing is that if you blow a shock, you have to send these back to Japan for rebuilding. Ask Mantis...he'll tell you. This kit does include pillow mounts, but if you want the adjustable camber pillow mounts, that is optional. Very low chance of bottoming out due to stiffer springs and shocks.

NEX Coilovers.
These coilovers were developed by NEX who resides here in California. They have two kits for our car. One is the RS kit and the other is the SS kit. The SS kit is the track version. I only have knowledge of the SS kit so I can only comment about those. I currently have these on my car. They are as stiff as the Zeal B6. The height drop available is also the same. The only issue is that there is no adjustable dampers. It's only adjustable height. These do come with pillow mounts, but not adjustables camber ones. Very low chance of bottoming out due to stiffer springs and shocks.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:28 PM
Drifting

Pillow Mounts.

I imagine some of you never heard of what a pillow mount is or what it does. Let me assist you. For the next part fo the informative post of the year by me, we'll discuss pillow mounts. For further reading, you may wish to visit this. But for a basic run down. Your car has pillow mounts. It comes stock. When you use springs, you'll basically be reusing your stock pillow mounts. This is also true if you are using the Tein S/S kit also. So what about all the other kits with upgraded pillow mounts you ask? Well there are two types of pillow mounts. We'll discuss the first one first . The first type is just your ordinary big chunk of aluminum or whatever metal they wish to use to make it. By having an aftermarket one that is thicker than your stock one, it allows for better steering response because the springs can't "dig" so much into the thicker ones as it can in the flimsy little stock one. This is also makes the ride stiffer also. The second type of pillow mount is the adjustable camber pillow mount. This does away with the need for camber kits because camber adjustments are done straight from top. And usually with the camber adjustments being up there, it's easier to get closer if not at stock numbers.

The picture shown below is a comparasion between the NEX kit (left) and the Tein S/S kit (right). This picture shows two things, the difference in the upper pillow mount and why the NEX can never be set to stock height and why the NEX can go lower than the Tein can.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:30 PM
Drifting

Oh and one more thing I forgot to add...

The stiffer the springs, the quicker the tires wear out.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by peiqinglong

Your post rocks!!! Very Informative!

Just one question: you quoted spring rates as kg/f. I know what the kilogram is; what measure of length does the "f" signify??
Old 11-28-2003, 08:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Just one question: you quoted spring rates as kg/f. I know what the kilogram is; what measure of length does the "f" signify??
Old 11-28-2003, 11:05 PM
Intermediate

This thead has to be the best in answering the dying question that always appears time and time again!!!
The battle does end here!!!!
I just got my Comptechs and I think it fits what I want!!!
Old 11-28-2003, 11:36 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by SpeedyV6

Thanks . kg/f = kilograms/force
Old 11-29-2003, 03:48 AM
dynamic Duo!

SpeedyV6: Haha, i know what you mean.. I see some other countries marking it in Newton/meters... kg/m to lbs/ft??!!
time to break out the physics book!!!
Old 12-05-2003, 10:52 AM
Blackbird baby..

Originally posted by Red-CL
I actually like the rake look of the Comptech Spings. Makes the CLS look more like the concept sketch produced a few years ago.
The H&R is too low, imo. Looks flat.
Old 12-05-2003, 04:45 PM
Under the radar

Looks the only way to go, for me, is those Koni Yellow adjustable shocks. That's a 1/2" drop and minimal ride change, right?
Old 12-05-2003, 10:45 PM
HELLLLLLOOOOOO NURSE!!!!!

This might be a stupid questions but has anyone tried comptech springs w/ koni yellows.......then using the lowest settings for spring seat in rear. Would this off-set the the front and get rid of the rake look?
Old 12-08-2003, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

Originally posted by MethodRN
This might be a stupid questions but has anyone tried comptech springs w/ koni yellows.......then using the lowest settings for spring seat in rear. Would this off-set the the front and get rid of the rake look?
with koni's' you don' t adjust height. What you adjust is the the softness or stiffness of the shocks.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:20 PM
Drifting

Originally posted by AcuraTLSFan
with koni's' you don' t adjust height. What you adjust is the the softness or stiffness of the shocks.
Actually you can...but to only a certain extent. The konis have what are called "perches". By using the standard perch, it's standard height and whatever drop based on the springs. You can actually set the shocks to a lower perch which will take 0.50 inchs lower. So on the Comptechs...1.5in in the front will be abot 2inchs and in the rear of 1.0 would be more like 1.5.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:23 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
and with the Neuspeed Koni's, there are 5 (count 'em, 5) perch settings both front and back, so this technically should allow you to get whatever setting you want from 4x4 to lowrider (exaggeration but you get the idea) to whatever degree of rake you would like
Old 12-08-2003, 08:13 PM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by Chaptorial
I love my Comptech springs.
Me too, and i love the rake
Old 12-09-2003, 12:13 PM

Actually you can...but to only a certain extent. The konis have what are called "perches". By using the standard perch, it's standard height and whatever drop based on the springs. You can actually set the shocks to a lower perch which will take 0.50 inchs lower. So on the Comptechs...1.5in in the front will be abot 2inchs and in the rear of 1.0 would be more like 1.5.
So does this mean that if I left the front set at the stanard perch and dropped to rear to the lowest perch I could get rid of the raked look? Thanks.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:34 PM
Drifting

So does this mean that if I left the front set at the stanard perch and dropped to rear to the lowest perch I could get rid of the raked look? Thanks.
In theory...yes. But ride quality wise might be different. By setting the konis on different perches you may change the feel of the ride. The rear might become stiffer wheras the fronts remain soft.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:00 PM

Thanks for the answer dude. So I know this whole thread was supposed to be the end all of spring comparison, but it's still somewhat unclear to me if I should get H&R OE or Sport. I don't really like the rake of Comptech but I don't wanna compromise ride quality or performance for looks. The other issue is I went to H&R's homepage and they don't have a specific application for CL-CLS. SO....basically w/ OE will I still get rake look? Will I get ride and performance equivalent to CT or H&R Sport? Thanks again guys.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:32 PM
Instructor

i have comptechs and would lower my car more but santa monica and la have such messed up streets i would be scraping more.
Old 12-10-2003, 06:21 AM
One who Laps

I have the Comptech springs and have no rake effect.
My car sits almost perfectly level.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:32 AM
Drifting

Thanks for the answer dude. So I know this whole thread was supposed to be the end all of spring comparison, but it's still somewhat unclear to me if I should get H&R OE or Sport. I don't really like the rake of Comptech but I don't wanna compromise ride quality or performance for looks. The other issue is I went to H&R's homepage and they don't have a specific application for CL-CLS. SO....basically w/ OE will I still get rake look? Will I get ride and performance equivalent to CT or H&R Sport? Thanks again guys.
H&R OE is NOT raked. It's an even drop. About a 1inch drop in the front and 1.5 in the rear. Think of it this way, it's the reverse comptech. The OE ride pretty close to comptech. All other springs ride totally different from comptech. Your prolly best off with getting Teins and adjusting the height u want. The ride with the teins is comptech.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:30 PM
2nd Gear

H&R Oe drop

does anyone have any pictures of the cl-s with an oe H&r drop. The one that claims .5inches and .75 inches. I have a 2001 acura cls with a kit and the coilover options out there are crap. I need something that is a small drop to reduce some wheel gap. Anyone out there have any options. I cant go with any coilovers that automatically lower your car by more than a inch or so. please let me know thanks
Old 06-18-2004, 11:42 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by miggmike
does anyone have any pictures of the cl-s with an oe H&r drop. The one that claims .5inches and .75 inches. I have a 2001 acura cls with a kit and the coilover options out there are crap. I need something that is a small drop to reduce some wheel gap. Anyone out there have any options. I cant go with any coilovers that automatically lower your car by more than a inch or so. please let me know thanks
The CL looks pretty similar to the TL i posted with the OE d rop. I don't know what you mean by the coilover options being crap. We're fortunate enough to have 4 different coilover choices and 1 sleeve option. Coilovers will actually give u the best customizing as far as for a little drop. I would go with Tein since their the only coilover who can raise back to stock height.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:41 AM
6th Gear

Will IT RUB???

Does anyone know if a 225/50/17 tire will rub with an H&R SPORT drop? I just ordered new Nitto NT 450 tires and a pair of the H&R springs and wanted to know if anyone has done this without rubbing? Thanks.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:17 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
That was a very informative post. Especially for a newcomer like me. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2004, 07:58 AM
Advanced

I just installed the H&R OE Sport springs part # 51858-55 and it gave me a very even 1" drop all around.
The car looks good and the ride-quality is almost identical to stock. The front could be about 1/4" lower to be absolutely perfect but overall its a lot less of a drop than the H&R sport springs part #51858. Im very happy with the 51858-55's.
Old 10-09-2004, 06:11 PM
Instructor

Do you have a sway bars on your car ? I have 2001 cl s tipe no mods so far Whanna get H&R sport springs and bilstein sport shocks . You think it's gonna be a big difference in handling comparing with stock ? I mean the car is not stable as any Japanice car . Maybe you can help me with advice? i live in NY too . How is your car doing in winter ?
Old 10-11-2004, 08:40 AM
Advanced

Im running stock swaybars and the ride is near stock with the H&R springs. I havent driven it in the snow so I dont know how it would do. I would assume the same as stock just a tad lower.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:33 PM
EVO IX MR

Just had HR Sport springs installed (50103) , Feels real nice, can feel the bumps a little more, but no body roll at all to speak of and much better in the corners. Got F/R camber kit from CCC.net, along w/ the springs....really needed the camber kit, no rubbing on stock rims and tires, I don't think I would want to drop it any lower than what it is now, you would DEF be asking for trouble.....Nice even drop on the 6 speed, maybe just a millimeter higher in the rear, I like it.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:43 PM
Advanced

Hey guys,
I just got some pics of my CL with the H&R OE sport springs installed. Hope this helps some of you decide which direction to go.
No rubbing issues, no ride difference and a nice even drop. No need for the camber kits either. It dropped is roughly 1-1/4" all around.

http://home.earthlink.net/~twc937667...2acuracltypes/
Old 11-24-2004, 10:12 PM
woooo!!

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by peiqinglong

your posts =
very informative/good read! rep+
Old 11-26-2004, 02:10 PM
Drifting

TL/TLS readers keep in mind that while H&R 51858 and the OE may be even on the CL, they definately lower more in the back on the TL/TLS.

The best choices for the TL/TLS are H&R 50103 or non-rusty comptechs if you can find them
Old 12-16-2004, 11:47 PM
Instructor

guys 2 weeks ago i got installed H&R sport 50103 . Unfortunatelly bc of bad advice i got them I was going to buy 51858 . 50103 is Low ........and there is a lot of rubbing . I got in to the hole yesturday and now my tire is gone . Brand new dunlup sport .Becides you feel unsafe on the road , scared that you'll hit the bump any min ...So i think im going to swich to 50858 . Any one who have 50103? With any advice or info? Maybe i'm scared for no reason ? Maybe it is just rubbing noise scaring me or it may be a real problem ? Please help....have no idea what to expect on winter
Old 12-17-2004, 05:34 AM
EVO IX MR

Originally Posted by fantom
guys 2 weeks ago i got installed H&R sport 50103 . Unfortunatelly bc of bad advice i got them I was going to buy 51858 . 50103 is Low ........and there is a lot of rubbing . I got in to the hole yesturday and now my tire is gone . Brand new dunlup sport .Becides you feel unsafe on the road , scared that you'll hit the bump any min ...So i think im going to swich to 50858 . Any one who have 50103? With any advice or info? Maybe i'm scared for no reason ? Maybe it is just rubbing noise scaring me or it may be a real problem ? Please help....have no idea what to expect on winter
What size rims/tires do you have? As long as the overall rim/ tire height is the same as stock you should not have any rubbing issues. Mine has no rubbing even on bumps and corners w/ bumps I take hard. I fyou have 18's or 19's and didn't buy a tire w/ a smaller sidewall then you have increased your overall tire height...that will give you probs w/ the 50103............not to mention increasing your mileage and throwing off your speedometer.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:04 AM
Where is my super sauce?

and to add to 2003type-s6's comments and to remind you of the other thread --- Where are the pictures?

Quick Reply: SPRINGS: H&R and Comptech... the battle ends here.