Rotors and Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 03:22 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rotors and Brakes

Well... Got the 18's put on my car (living in MN it's risky business knowing we can get snow from now until August haha), and need new brakes and rotors. I'm thinking of going with cross-drilled slotted. Not looking to spend a TON, but don't want it to look bad either. Any ideas for a brand/source???

P.S. (I will update the my pic to show the rims when it gets nicer out.)
Old 03-25-2008, 07:18 PM
'03 ABP YA4-S 6MT

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
cross drilled is mainly for look, slotted is much more functional as it 'de-glazes' the pads whenever a slot swipes over the pad.

you gotta have a price range. you can go with brembo blanks or rotoras or whatever you want, really.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:29 AM
Cruisin'

What's everyone think of this comment I found when doing research?

"Before the advent of ABS, drilled or slotted rotors were used to prevent lockups, reduce weight. The main problem with drilled or slotted rotors is that they wear down pads quickly and reduce the strength of the rotor. Racers always replace them after every race because they get weak and crack. Best to stick to ventilated discs."
Old 03-26-2008, 12:44 AM
Cruisin'

Sorry to inundate this thread, but last thing... Seems to be a lot of discussion on brake pads. I'm told I require ceramic pads. Yay or Nay on the benefits of ceramic? Less dust a positive, but braking effectiveness when hot, good or bad?
Old 03-27-2008, 06:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
Beware of myths:

Drills help cooling and de-gassing, but MAY promote cracking in cheaper rotors. High end rotors are less prone to cracking. It does reduce weight which is invaluable at high performance levels but negligible here. I don't see what ABS has to do with anything though.

Slots help keep pad and rotor surfaces clean. Extra wear issues are not significant really. Testimonials on life ("my pads lasted this long" comments) can rarely be relied on or quantified. Don't listen to them unless you know someone drives the same routes as you with the same pedal pressures. I would not expect ABS to impact anything here either.

Ceramic pads tend to dust less from what we hear. They also bite well and work good at "enthusiastic" driving temps.

Not all rotors are created the same, but most are. Pay attention to the different features that rotor companies highlight. Decide which ones are gimmicks and which ones are true upgrades (hint, check out racingbrake, http://heeltoeauto.com/httech/YaBB.pl?board=tech_brakes)

If you want bad-ass looking and working brakes without spending a ton check out Racingbrake 2-piece rotors. They use stock calipers and have more performance potential than any other oem replacement rotor you will find.

Marcus
Old 03-27-2008, 07:08 PM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
nice work marcus, couldn't have said it better myself

bbk ftw =P
Old 03-27-2008, 11:13 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 624 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimbones1
What's everyone think of this comment I found when doing research?

"Before the advent of ABS, drilled or slotted rotors were used to prevent lockups, reduce weight. The main problem with drilled or slotted rotors is that they wear down pads quickly and reduce the strength of the rotor. Racers always replace them after every race because they get weak and crack. Best to stick to ventilated discs."
'

The stock discs are already vented, at least in the front. All OE replacement discs for the CL/TL will be vented. Slotted or drilled and slotted rotors will not get weak and crack if the company who does the machining it does it properly. ROTORA is another company that also does it properly.

https://acurazine.com/forums/sponsored-sales-group-buys-10/rotora-slotted-drilled-slotted-rotors-special-cl-tl-tsx-324531/
Old 03-28-2008, 10:55 AM
Instructor

About ceramic pads....I've heard lately that they are pretty harsh on rotors. Has anyone else heard this? It was a mechanic who took a seminar on brake pads and the company frozen rotors.