Noise from the front end

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 04:38 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Noise from the front end

I have noticed that the car makes a screeching/groaning sound when creeping forward at intersections with my foot half on the brake. The brakes are all new all around and have passed their wear in period so that is 100% not the cause of the noise.

Again, this is only at slow speeds (under 10km/h). Could there be something going on with my suspension/steering system?
Old 06-12-2012, 02:18 PM
DJF
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Dspr_02
I have noticed that the car makes a screeching/groaning sound when creeping forward at intersections with my foot half on the brake. The brakes are all new all around and have passed their wear in period so that is 100% not the cause of the noise.

Again, this is only at slow speeds (under 10km/h). Could there be something going on with my suspension/steering system?
Sounds like pads vibrating on the rotors to me. I think if it was the suspension or steering, the noise would still be there when you lift your foot off the brake. Is your suspension stock or is it lowered? Looks like you just had your brakes done, but did you do the work or did a shop do it? There is anti-squeek grease that should be applied to the back-side of the pads before installing.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DJF
Sounds like pads vibrating on the rotors to me. I think if it was the suspension or steering, the noise would still be there when you lift your foot off the brake. Is your suspension stock or is it lowered? Looks like you just had your brakes done, but did you do the work or did a shop do it? There is anti-squeek grease that should be applied to the back-side of the pads before installing.
The brakes were done at a shop all around, I question the competence of the front brake job however. The suspension is stock and there are other creaking/clanking/snapping noises when turning.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:59 PM
DJF
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dspr_02
The brakes were done at a shop all around, I question the competence of the front brake job however. The suspension is stock and there are other creaking/clanking/snapping noises when turning.
I wouldn't rule out it being either a bad front axle (happens often in Honda cars) or a bad wheel bearing, but odd that it would just appear after the brake job. Start with bringing it back to the shop who did the brakes and see what they say. Maybe the mechanic left his Happy Meal wedged in the suspension
Old 06-14-2012, 02:50 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by DJF
I wouldn't rule out it being either a bad front axle (happens often in Honda cars) or a bad wheel bearing, but odd that it would just appear after the brake job. Start with bringing it back to the shop who did the brakes and see what they say. Maybe the mechanic left his Happy Meal wedged in the suspension
It was done at the dealership where I bought it and it pretty much ended with "don't ever fucking come back to my lot" from the owner and "I'll sue your sorry ass" from me. Their mechanic is an uncertified 20 something stoner with no clue as to what he is doing.

The strange thing is that the front brakes were done about 2500km ago, the rears are about 600ish. Wouldn't be surprised if I have bad CV joints. The noise started recently.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:31 PM
Racer

My CL Front End Noises Video

Last edited by Dspr_02; 06-15-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:09 PM
DJF
Instructor

Wow, weird noises. Could definitely be your CV joints, but you'll need expert advise. I have 125,000 miles on my CL-S and I'm happy to say that it runs as smooth as butter with no weird noises.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DJF
Wow, weird noises. Could definitely be your CV joints, but you'll need expert advise. I have 125,000 miles on my CL-S and I'm happy to say that it runs as smooth as butter with no weird noises.
I am seriously considering ditching this CL at this point. Seeing as the tranny is starting to act up with shifts between reverse and drive and all the other noises above and various other things...

Thanks for the help in this thread guys!