NEW KSPORTS! :) Pics/Essay inside! HELP TOO :(

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 04:06 PM
That's Racist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEW KSPORTS! :) Pics/Essay inside! HELP TOO :(

Hey y'all; just picked up my new ksports yesterday and installed 'em.

Installation: Installation was relatively problem free; except for that I found out one of the nuts that held the fronts was stripped :*(. We ended up dremeling the damn nut and snapping it off.

Ride: Very stiff ride; spring rates are 13kg/7kg; huge jump and feel from the 7kg/4kg of the Tein Basics; Driving was dare I say a bit more fun though; might be a bit harsh for some people but was not as bad as I was expecting (Some were making it out that I'd break my back everytime I hit a bump; driving on the 60, 10 and 405 although not as pleasant (sp?) as usualy was not horrendous either).

Quirks and Problems:

1.Because there are two ways to adjust height (spring perch and bottom perch); you are able to pre-load the coilovers to the height you want, then fiddle around with it a bit more w/ the spring. I decided I didn't want to touch or adjust the spring perch @ all until I get it corner balanced; so I guesstimated, set the height, and became too lazy to re-adjust it =P. Currently riding on 1-1.5 finger gap in the front and 2-3 finger gap in the rear. See pictures for dramatic rake!

--> Need Help here: 2.Getting some squeaking sounds audible on every bump coming from rear coilover (am guessing passenger side rear); can hear constant squeaking on freeway with windows up and no music @ all; not a problem really since I drive with windows down 24/7, but could be a bit embarassing if I have people in the back, anyone have any ideas? HELP PLEASE

Orange anondized and fully assembled top mount (squeaky?) ftw

You can see the adjusting rings, 2 on the top for the spring height adjusting and another one on the bottom to adjust height w/ the lower end of the coilover.

Riding fully to the left, 100% "soft"; absolutely love the ride.

Out with the moldy green, in w/ the orange hotness.

Gotta make sure the silver metallic KSport label is facing the front

6am in the morning; decided to take photos.

You can see the wheel gap in the rear; I think it looks hilarious. Going to get corner balanced in about a month to even it all out. Til' then; probably going to lay off driving my car unless it's totally necessary

What a Rakish Rake! In addition however, the street was @ a decline w/ the car pointing down; don't know if y'all can tell, but the crazy rake is still there.

-Corner balanced in about a month, and Eibach sways!
Old 05-06-2006, 04:10 PM
3-piece FTW

Great review, but what didn't you like about the Teins?
Old 05-06-2006, 04:25 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
Originally Posted by htown
Great review, but what didn't you like about the Teins?
Old 05-06-2006, 04:25 PM
I'm here in spirit...

Old 05-06-2006, 04:27 PM
3-piece FTW

Old 05-06-2006, 04:31 PM
says "hello to my TLX".

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
what's up with everyone bunching up against my lil man?! let him do as he likes.

but what really is the reason for getting rid of the Teins?
Old 05-06-2006, 04:31 PM
That's Racist

Loved the Teins; very comfortable yet firm ride; but my wheels (19x7.5 +45) would rub with people in the back and on huge dips because of the suspension/body travel and body roll from the less aggressive suspension. *7/4 for basics*

Found out that Yen Wei (ShinyBlue) had this problem a while back with his 18x7.5" +45 volks; picked up custom re-valved ksports, got corner balanced, ran a bit of negative camber and no longer has problems.

Found a set of ksports and decided to jump on 'em.

Edit: Hah, thx Lu; I think :P

Don't no one worry bout the Teins; they have a good home.
Old 05-06-2006, 04:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
nice review. i have TEIN SS with the 7/4 spring rate. i've been contemplating changing over, but the ksports seem a bit stiff to me, i think the omnipower coilovers are right in between w/ 10/8
Old 05-06-2006, 07:27 PM
Recently turned 18

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What about the "upgraded" springs for the Teins??
Old 05-06-2006, 09:56 PM
That's Racist

Originally Posted by Blitz
W/ Teins I believe you are able to order custom spring rates; you just have to make sure you get the shocks re-valved to handle the new spring ratings.

Yen Wei's set up is 11/7 (custom)
Old 05-07-2006, 01:17 AM
That's Racist

I was told the squeaking is natural and is pretty much inevitable unless i tighten up the dampening a little bit . (Due to aftermarket top mounts) can anyone chime in on this?
Old 05-07-2006, 02:46 AM
shift@8k

Originally Posted by Blitz
with the teins you're allowed to safely upgrade to 9kg in the front and 6kg in the rear without any revalving of the shocks. This is actually a good setup for people who want something stiffer than the tein ss, but don't want something too stiff. However, imo any increase in spring rates should be accompanied with revalving. A shock that is valved for 4k is not going to perform the same if you pair the same shock with a 6kg spring. Tein charges a grip for revalving ever since they raised their prices. I also called tein about ordering a set of ss-p with custom spring rates and revalving and it came out to be way too much.

Glad you like the ksports tim. If the squeaking gets unbearable try putting some grease in the rear, might make it better. Let me know when you're going to see darrin I might go with you, I want to ask him some things.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:51 PM
Suzuka Master

someone on the TL boards used spring isolators from MDX and hacked up the isolator, and this stopped the squeaking, i need to find the post.
Old 05-07-2006, 04:55 PM
That's Racist

Originally Posted by CleanCL
someone on the TL boards used spring isolators from MDX and hacked up the isolator, and this stopped the squeaking, i need to find the post.
Hmm; more information plz?

Someone mentioned using rubber insulation and putting it in between the topmount and the strut; I forget if there's already a small sheet of rubber there though Should have checked before I put 'em on the car.

Thx for the input y'all, keep 'em coming, I need to get rid of the mouse squeaks
Old 05-07-2006, 05:09 PM
Suzuka Master

i know exactly what your talking about. my TEINs creak if the car has been sitting for awhile. i think this is the solution.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133913
Old 05-08-2006, 01:16 AM
Recently turned 18

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So, what hardware from the old suspension is transferred over to the coilover suspension? (w/ either the K-Sports or Tein SS?) Just the bolts on top?