Has anyone Powder coated factory wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003 | 10:53 AM
Racer

Has anyone Powder coated factory wheels?

I was wondering if there is anyone who powder coated there factory wheels black.
Old 02-20-2003 | 05:04 PM
Drifting

No, I have not, but if you have questions about powder coating, I'm your man. I do every form of powder coating known to man for ITW-Illinois Tool Works.

I hold two patents in powder coating, with two more possible in D.C. at the patent office now. I've been powder coating for 13 years now, and am considered the application expert at ITW.

ITW is a 55,000 person company, dealing heavily in automotive.

Powder coatings are very robust "paints" that are about ten times tougher than the color coat on your car. In fact, your wheels are powder coated with a silver, acrylic powder coating! (but I don't know what brand is used-it makes a difference).

To be very safe, if you PC your wheels, you should have the silver sandblasted off to present a clean surface. If you do not, you may have what is called an Inter Coat Adhesion Problem-incompatability between the original chemistry of the paint, and your new black.

If you strip, you will lose the "machined" look of your wheels, but that is ok as long as you use anything but a clear coating. You should ask for a polyester TGIC powder coating, or a straight polyester should be fine.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES USE AN EPOXY POWDER COATING. iT WILL CHALK AND FADE!

After you choose a job shop, ask for a high gloss, about 90 points, powder coating. This is a pretty easy job for a powder coater. It will only cost him about $50 in labor and energy. But he will ding you about $200 for the job. Nicky Pass paid $400 for four wheels, but he was anxious, paying $180 for three day shipping.

Actually, what you are doing is encasing the surface of your wheels in PLASTIC. And PLASTIC DOES NOT RUST.

Look 5 or 6 pages back, and see Nicky Passes view of his powder coated wheels. Chances are, there are a few powder coating job shops within 20 miles of your location. Shop wisely, and bide your time. If you are savvy, you might get away for $100. Ferro Powder coatings (Now Akzo Nobel) has a particurlary attractive high gloss black that matches 2003 non metallic Cadillac black.

I am seeing too many replies about powder coating. I will post a thread, probably a long one soon, regarding the basics of powder coating and paint in general. Reply to me if you have questions.