fo by fo no mo

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2005, 09:51 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fo by fo no mo

Just had a set of Comptech springs and Koni yellow shocks installed. The springs are on the upper perch of the shocks. Will take some pics and try and figure out how to post them later this weekend. The dealership charged me 5 hours labor to install them. Called me and said I really needed the camber kit. I was expecting that, but not so soon. The good thing is that they are on. The bad thing is that I had to pay full price, but at least I didn’t have to pay shipping! They charged me another 5 hour labor to install the cambers and align all 4 wheels. Now, I realize that an alignment on a CL-S is a bit more time consuming, and even more with a camber kit, but 5 hours to do both I think is a bit excessive. I didn’t think I wore my lollypop shirt when I dropped my car off in the morning. Based on what I’ve read at this site and the Comptech web site installation should be between 2 to 4 hours for the springs. How much more time is it to change shocks? The things I go through to keep my warranty intact. At any rate, enough bitching. It sure handles nice, though. Here are the specs:

Height from ground to top of wheel well rim:
Before front: ~28.5 inch
After front: ~26.25 inch

Before Rear: ~27.25 inch
After rear: ~26.1 inch

Next up, some 18 x 8 wheels and 235/40/18 tires .... as soon as I’ve paid off the mini-mortgage on this installation.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:44 PM
buy my car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well at aprox. $90 per hour instal. and 10 hours it cost you $900 + parts. seems high to me but hey its done and your happy-thats how i look at it
Old 05-27-2005, 10:47 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Wow, I think you got raped on the labor cost. I put my own springs, shocks, and sway bars in 2 hours with the help of a buddy.

As long as you are happy. BTW, your warranty would have been intact no matter where you get it installed.
Old 05-27-2005, 10:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
It should take the dealer 2-3 hours tops to do the install. I can do it in 3 hours by myself if everything goes smoothly, and thats not having a lift, or a clamshell spring compressor.

And you can't measure from the wheel well to the ground. It can be off due to differences in tire pressure. A true measure of the suspension is from the wheel well to the bottom of the rim.