Electronic Dampers

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 09:07 AM
AcuredCLS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electronic Dampers

I have a fresh non modded 2001 CLS and ive been looking around for parts that i want to put on. Suspension wise i checked the forum and did not see much. Our cars are luxury sport and puttin just regular springs on i think might lose that ride. I was wondering what everyone thought about Electronic Dampers. You can set the car up any way you want with a push of a button. I know tein make a good one not sure of the other companies. Anybody wanna throw in there 2 cents
Old 10-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuredCLS
I have a fresh non modded 2001 CLS and ive been looking around for parts that i want to put on. Suspension wise i checked the forum and did not see much. Our cars are luxury sport and puttin just regular springs on i think might lose that ride. I was wondering what everyone thought about Electronic Dampers. You can set the car up any way you want with a push of a button. I know tein make a good one not sure of the other companies. Anybody wanna throw in there 2 cents
EDFC is overkill in my opinion unless you plan on racing the CL on a regular basis. Get a nice strut and spring combo. I really like my koni and H&R spring set up.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Koni yellows are adjustable, but i am not sure if there is an ED available for it, I wish there was because I am not really interested in TEINs or the coilover for that matter. I don't want to pop the hood everytime I adjust either. I'm interested in this as well.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:13 PM
140,000 miles young

Ron why aren't you interested in Coil overs? I am just having this ongoing debate in my head as to whether to go like Tein SS springs or H&R's and Koni shocks - or just spring for the Tein Basic coilovers for like $50 - $100 more. I am worried that the coilovers will be a pain in the ass to get setup correctly, or that the settings will get knocked out of place if i accidentally hit a hole in the road.

Does that happen or are they rigidly locked until you chose to move them - anyone?

Also, since I'm not really interested in dumping my car or scraping pavement or constantly adjusting the damping is there a real benefit to coilover's over springs/shocks?
Old 10-09-2007, 05:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
coilovers are locked in place with a double nut on the spring side and then a nut against the lower body that also screws on. the additional nuts keep the spring and body from vibrating loose. if you ever hit something hard enough to move a coilover, chance are you're going to have some other MAJOR issues.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:04 AM
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Since I'm currently running TEIN SS-Ps w/ the EDFC, I guess I'll chime in. Personally, I probably wouldn't have started with this setup (had it not been for buying them used from another member). However, it does give you the most flexibility and easiest adjustment. Since I am constantly driving on Pittsburgh's wonderful roads (some covered with potholes, some smooth, some brick roads) I have found that I change the dampening settings a few times mostly every time I drive my CL. In order to keep the ride quality up, I now find it necessary (especially with my driving habits) to have this system. The other advantage with it is changing the setting when you're driving on twisty back roads with push of a button, and not sacrificing handling or ride quality. Since I drive on a variety of road types, its definitely one of the best features to have.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
my experience with coilovers was a squeaky and rattly one. My fixed springs are dead silent.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:32 PM
AcuredCLS

the roads were i live are your basic everyday road, some suck, some are great, but i am a person that likes the corners i guess you can say.. and if i put more mods on i would not mind takin it to the track once in a while, but i like the option of being able to raise the car up with out having to do manual labor..cept for the intall. after that its a button and when show days come, you can drop it as much as it goes..it seems like i mite be talking about bagging the car, but im not haha..i like to drive the car and dont always put it on a pedistal
Old 10-10-2007, 09:33 PM
AcuredCLS

btw if i do get any suspension done my next stage would be rims and ron dog that is where you come in handyy, lovinn the rims you have