View Poll Results: If you had a chance to look at (inspect) your Comptech springs, are they?
In perfect condition. With No visible marks. IOW, they look great.
29.17%
Have some marks and/or pits. (Comments?)
31.94%
Corroded (Please comment with location and other info)
30.56%
Other: explain what's going on/what you see...
8.33%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Can you check your Comptech Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 11:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
------------
Old 08-27-2004, 11:41 PM
Moderator Alumnus

question tho.... i've noticed the rust on the springs and have never thought they'd just snap one day.....

now.... i've had the springs for well over 2 yrs.... i highly doubt i can find the sales receipt (they were purchased from comptech directly)....

do u think they can do anything for me assuming i have faulty springs?
Old 08-28-2004, 04:13 AM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Wow.

Great work Jonesi.

I wonder how they'll explain this one.
Old 08-28-2004, 06:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perhaps the question is: what do they have to do vs. what is the right thing to do.

Originally Posted by YuppieCL
question tho.... i've noticed the rust on the springs and have never thought they'd just snap one day.....

now.... i've had the springs for well over 2 yrs.... i highly doubt i can find the sales receipt (they were purchased from comptech directly)....

do u think they can do anything for me assuming i have faulty springs?

IMO, if they have rust on them, they are not OK.

I'm hoping that little tirade by Nate -- or unknown party that is calling from one of Comptech's IPs -- is not representitive of the views of the ownership at Comptech.

I hope they realize that they need to balance a safety issue (this is NOT idle whining from the midlife-crisis crowd). To go on record, I really like my headers and generally think very well of their products. However, I've seen what people in business can do who when they really want to demonstrate that their firm has a solid commitment to quality.

So, someone there is going to have to balance replacment cost vs. future sales and PR.

And, yes, they can do something for you if they want to. The question is: do they want to and ARE they going to?

Side note: I've had dealings with a lot of companies and once the people that owned the company knew about some crappy stuff I had received (some of the stuff was faulty from day one [manufacturing defect(s)]), they stepped up to the plate and went overboard to help me. One of the companies was HP (Hewlett Packard). I think very highly of their stuff and will buy from them again.

Perhaps it's time for a full service review website that is dedicated to reviewing import parts...

Now for a few links (here are some recalls that are related to springs):

http://www.theaa.com/allaboutcars/re...azda&makeId=C6

FRACTURE OF FRONT SUSPENSION COIL SPRING
VIN: JMZ CA....011000, JMZ EC1...001130
Build Date: March 1992 to August 1994
Numbers: 8525
Defect: There is a possibility that the front suspension coil spring could break and the unseated section of this spring could puncture the tyre.
Action: The vehicles are being recalled for the installation of a protector which would prevent a broken coil from penetrating the tyre.

FRONT SUSPENSION COIL SPRING MAY BREAK
VIN: JMZ EC****00207937 - 00209037
Build Date: May 1995 to June 1995
Numbers: 108
Defect: Due to poor adhesion of the rustproof coating of the front coil spring, the spring may rust. As a result, the coil spring may break.
Action: Recall affected vehicles and replace coil springs with modified type.
Launch Date: 21 March 2000
http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/recall.htm

1998 models of the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique built at the Kansas City Assembly Plant. The front coil springs can corrode and fracture and possibly puncture a tire. The recall involves 108,000 cars registered in the District of Columbia and 20 northern states with high concentrations of salt on the road.
http://www.corrosion-doctors.org/Car/recalls.htm

Corrosion leads to Audi recall

OCT. 4, 2001 — German carmaker Audi is recalling 41,980 vehicles worldwide due to rust problems in the rear suspension of some four-wheel-drive models, the company said Thursday. The recall applies to TT quattro and S3 quattro models made between September 1998 and March 2000, and A3 quattro models made between February 1999 and March 2000, the Volkswagen subsidiary said.

Subaru recalls 180,000 vehicles in 'Salt Belt'

JULY 19, 2001 — Subaru of America said it is recalling certain 1995-1998 and some 1999 Legacy vehicles, which may encounter problems with corrosion on their front springs. Because of improperly applied paint by a supplier, continued exposure to salt may cause the springs on 180,000 cars to corrode and eventually break, the company said. The problem is especially acute in states where road salt is used during the winter, and the recall affects only cars in those states. Affected owners will be notified by mail.

LOOK at some of the dates here. Subaru recall is dated 2001 and deals with 1995-1998 vehicles. What would it cost to replace a life that was impacted by a defective part?

-- The opinions expressed are my personal opinions --
Old 08-28-2004, 08:30 AM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally Posted by Jonesi
Did a search by IP address and came up with The IP Address is: 158.222.4 The host name is: comptech-wl1.innercite

Then did a search by Ip address to see if anyone has used it and this came up Nate@Comptech 158.222.4 I did more searching and there is no doubt this was comptech...

So I guess you can see what Comptech thinks about this situation.. I thought they would be more professional.. Or atleast use a address outside of work..

I'm out over $500 and they are going to come on here saying this sh!t..

Comptech Thanks..
Holy crap! That's un freaking believable! Don't understand why someone from Comptech would want to stir this up any more than it is. I would be so fired if I did something like that at my job. This information definitely needs to get to the proper authorities at Comptech. Anyone know who any of the higher up executives over there might be? This makes me think I should definitely recover my install/alignment costs. I was just going to take care of it on my own because I felt like Comptech was already eating a huge shit sandwich over this. I guess they want to have as much trouble as they can possibly generate. I say bring it on!! This is a serious safety issue. If they get all of these back without a major incident they will be lucky.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:41 AM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally Posted by EricL
IMO, if they have rust on them, they are not OK.

I'm hoping that little tirade by Nate -- or unknown party that is calling from one of Comptech's IPs -- is not representitive of the views of the ownership at Comptech.

I hope they realize that they need to balance a safety issue (this is NOT idle whining from the midlife-crisis crowd).

So, someone there is going to have to balance replacment cost vs. future sales and PR.

And, yes, they can do something for you if they want to. The question is: do they want to and ARE they going to?
I would think the potential liability of having a broken spring causing a severe accident or loss of life would be their major concern. Since they are well aware of the issue and have full knowledge of these springs breaking they could lose a lot more than their PR image and some future sales. Somebody could end up in a Federal "Pound-me-in-the-ass" prison if one of these springs breaking causes some serious damage.

If that really was a Comptech employee that made that post I don't think their reputation has much chance of being restored with me unless someone comes on here and explains WTF happened there.
Old 08-28-2004, 10:14 AM
A-CL member

If it was Nate, its very hard to believe that Nate would write such things. Nate has been good with answers to questions regarding Comptech products in the past. Whoever at Comptech wrote that response about us being whiners and being gay, mid life crisis was very unprofessional. If you really believe in your products, then back them up professionallly don't go about us being whiners and etc. Attacking us will not solve the problem you have with your defective springs. Fix the issue dont attack your customers...who spent good money on your springs. At around 299.00 for springs that is a hefty price to have defective rusting/breaking springs, when we can have bought HR springs for much cheaper for around 180.00 And why is it that springs for 2004 TL are at 239.00, when springs for 01-03 CL/TL are 299.00? Springs are one of the cheapest mod for a car, but still add to the revenue for Comptech. Don't go attacking your customers, or they simply may not care for your products.
Old 08-28-2004, 03:31 PM
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Smitty
To think all the money this fucking forum has made for your company who pays your paycheck and then your going to FUCKING bad mouth us.....

Nate or not that's a pretty sad response from anyone who works at Comptech.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:50 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Red-CL

Wait did I just hear?........Yeah I think I ..............Was that another can of worms?

Well polish my balls and serve me a milkshake. I think that boys cheese slid off his cracker. Hey Nate they are looking for a new Gilagan.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:46 AM
Spectacular Aroma About

I just sent this e-mail to Comptech. Let's see if anybody responds.

Sombody has created an account from your internet address with the user name "youallsuck" Here is what was posted from this user shortly after another picture of a broken set of Comptech springs was posted.

<Quit the whining. The springs are fine. You're all being gay. Paranoid middle age crisis. My springs this, my springs that. If they aren't broke, don't fix them!!!
>

You can read the thread here:
http://www.acura-cl.com/forums/showt...150602&page=11

I just thought somebody from your office might like to respond to this.
Old 08-29-2004, 11:47 AM
Team Owner

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts
Good, I'm curious as to what their response will be
Old 08-29-2004, 03:20 PM
COME AT ME BRO!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
damm that is some unperfessional shit.. makes me not want to spend a dime on any comptech stuff but to late i already have their tranny coolier... i wont be buying anymore of their products if this is they way they treat a group of customers that have made them and unbeliveable amount of money.. just think if everyone on here add up all of the money that spent on comptech goods, im sure it would be super high... just think 20 people with just headers is over $20,000....
Old 08-29-2004, 06:21 PM
Doin' da crack shuffle

Originally Posted by mrsteve
Good, I'm curious as to what their response will be

That's some crazy shit.
Old 08-30-2004, 06:30 AM
Village Maniac

hooray for eibach!!!

Eibach rules!

Comptech sucks the big one!

you're going down comptech!

down, down, down,

comptech going down.

down, down, down,

comptech going down.

SMITE EM!
Old 08-30-2004, 06:34 AM
Village Maniac

seriously, maybe we should all send them an e-mail if we can get proof that the message was in fact sent from comptech ip. i have eibach but the safety issue is a foremost on my mind, as i know several of you have them. if we raise hell maybe they will do something more than just give out new springs that are just going to rust and break again.

S
Old 08-30-2004, 10:24 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Smitty
Smooth MOVE NATE!!!!!!... I am sure your boss at Comptech will be real pleased to read this!!!!

...... To think all the money this fucking forum has made for your company who pays your paycheck and then your going to FUCKING bad mouth us.....
This was not me. I'm as floored as everyone else here. Every computer in this company has internet access. I'm sure we all share the same IP address but again, I did not do this. I am deeply sorry that someone has, and would like to express my apologies on behalf of our company. I assure you the view expressed is not that of me or Comptech. I am only on this board to listen to your concerns, answer questions and give you new information. It is not in Comptech's nature to do things like this and I promise you this will be the last time you guys see anything like this.

Nate Haines
nateh@comptechusa.com
Old 08-30-2004, 10:28 AM
Team Owner

Thanks for the reply Nate.

Shawn S
Old 08-30-2004, 10:28 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Shawn S
Couldn’t the “youallsuck” account have been created by ANYONE at the Comptech facility?
If they’re on the same network and the same ISP, wouldn’t they all have the same IP address?
Maybe it’s the guy who got his ASS chewed out for saving a few bucks on that new powder coating company.
Or the guy in charge of quality control.
Yes, it could have been created by any computer on our network.
Like I said, it wasn't mine. This does unfortunately tarnish our good name with you guys.
I would love to find out who did this, I didn't see it until this morning..what a monday!

-Nate
Old 08-30-2004, 10:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
So Nate, can you update us on what's going on? Has management seen this thread and if so, is there any action taking place?

I for one am an extremely loyal Comptech customer, as shown by my signature.

Thanks

Neil
Old 08-30-2004, 10:35 AM
Drifting

Thanks for replying Nate!!!

Isn't there a way for you to check historys on all the systems there and see what other one was logged on to this site on the day that was posted?
Old 08-30-2004, 11:34 AM
Suzuka Master

okay if it was truely not you, I appologize, but I want answers to whom at Comptech posted that off COMPTECH's network....
Old 08-30-2004, 11:51 AM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally Posted by Nate@Comptech
Yes, it could have been created by any computer on our network.
Like I said, it wasn't mine. This does unfortunately tarnish our good name with you guys.
I would love to find out who did this, I didn't see it until this morning..what a monday!

-Nate
What a Monday indeed! Let us know if you catch the little bastard that did it.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:31 PM
Dipset All Day, Everyday

I am scur of Comptech now

Hello Everyone,
I have been a long time lurker on this forum for almost two years. I decided now would finally be a nice time for me to post.
I purchased the last new 03 CLs available in Minnesota about 7 months ago (Silver, 10,000 miles) . Every day, I get into my car and I find something else new that I love about the car every day. For being 21, I can't imagine ever owning a nicer car
But, unfortunatly I am starting to get the mad mod bug. I have saved over $1,500 as of the moment and am continuing to build funds for future mods. I had planned on doing a fairly extensive suspension and tire setup this spring. I was planning on getting Konis, Springs, Sways, Strut Bar, and a icebox all from Comptech. But now, after this thread I am starting to have second thoughts about Comptech. It seems to be the general consensus that everyone with comptech springs has experienced some sort of corrosion. This is really dissappointing to me because I live in Minnesota and can only go with the modest comptech drop instead of something extreme like H&Rz or Teinz. Not to mention the salt would probably just eat right through the springs.
My question is, has most everyone here has experienced corrosion with every verison of the springs, regardless of color? Also, overall, are most Comptech parts reliable and has everyone had a pleasant time dealing with them?

I am sorry for the long post but I am completely blown away that a company would react this way to such a extreme safety issue. Before this thread I was ready to drop G'z on comptech parts but now I am having second thoughts. Any feedbax would be great and thanx alot for all of the valuable information you guys have given me in the past This forum is one of the main reason I bought my car :gheywave:
Old 08-30-2004, 03:21 PM
Where is my super sauce?

Thanks Nate for replying.

I'm going to call you with this question, but I'll post it anyway, what the hell.

What about people like me that have not had a catastrophic failure of the spring, but have a little bit of surface rust? I finally lifted my car the this weekend and while the front springs look perfect, there is a tiny line of rust on the lower coil of the rear springs, as well as a couple of rust spots on the top coil. I don't expect it to fail this year, but I'm concerned that I may have the beginning of what Shawn, Jonesi, and Chief F1 have had.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:13 PM
COME AT ME BRO!

like everyone else said thanx nate for being a pro about this situation that we have going on. i truly do hope you find the little basterd that has smeared your name and comptechs name.. when you fibd who did it fire them and let some local acl members know who it was so the can run them over... some people just have no respect.
Old 08-30-2004, 08:48 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally Posted by HellaShookOne
Hello Everyone,
I was planning on getting Konis, Springs, Sways, Strut Bar, and a icebox all from Comptech. But now, after this thread I am starting to have second thoughts about Comptech. It seems to be the general consensus that everyone with comptech springs has experienced some sort of corrosion.
My question is, has most everyone here has experienced corrosion with every verison of the springs, regardless of color? Also, overall, are most Comptech parts reliable and has everyone had a pleasant time dealing with them?
The black springs don't have the rust issue. NOLACLS has a set of the black ones and they have been on 2 different cars without problems. Something happened with the silver ones. If you order a set just make sure you don't get a sliver set from old stock that some vender might have. Konis are not made by Comptech. You can also get a Neuspeed strut bar for $79 from shox.com. The Comptech headers have no equal in quality and fit. The icebox is also a nice piece. I think everyone who has called about the springs has gotten treated fairly and are satisfied. It's just too bad they had to hire some asshat that is too stupid to realize you can't send some troll post to this site and not be found out. If you want the best headers or an Icebox Comptech is pretty much the only choice. There are a lot of other options for sways, springs and strut bars.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:03 PM
Manny Tranny

Late entry but my silver coated CT springs look fine. Purchased and installed about a year ago (July 03) and the car was garaged in the winter months (Dec 03 - Mar 04). It may be the salty roads that intensify the rusting process. Like others, i don't think the surface rust is causing the fracture. More likly a defect in the process or quality of materials used.

I have a 10 yr old Isuzu Trooper with 10 yrs of salty roads in the winter. These springs have very little surface rust (if any). It's obvious Comptech messed up on some of the lots. I hope i have a good set and you that don't, get every dime (parts and labor) for the bad springs.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:03 PM
Balla on a Budget

My silver springs were installed in December, and look NEW. We do not see any snow here in the Bay Area, and it rains maybe 2 days a week during winter.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:21 PM
GEB
Racer

Nate, thanks for stepping up to the plate and taking a little of the heat for who ever on your network posted such a crappy posting.

One question, when is Comptech going to step up to the plate and stand behind their product. If these springs are bad, why doesn't Comptech re-call them all ... and replace them with new ones. The reason I state my case like that is, I have some used comptech springs that I purchased a few weeks ago ... I don't really want to install them on my car because I live in Denver and the powder coating has already come off of them. They aren't rusting yet but I'm sure a few winters in Denver will do them in. So what do I do? If Comptech stood behind their product, they should replace all of the silver ones ... regardless of who or were you got them.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,100 Likes on 3,608 Posts
GEB-they don't use salt on roads in Denver do they? They sure do in Buffalo where I live and I suspect that surely did not assist in prolonging the life of the springs. Regardless, I've owned MANY cars over the years and none have had springs break 2 years out-none.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
Regardless, I've owned MANY cars over the years and none have had springs break 2 years out-none.
I was gonna say let alone 2 years.. I've never seen springs break..
Old 08-31-2004, 08:57 AM
Drifting

Nate,

I sent an email to info@comptech a few weeks ago. I have not received a response. Can you ask whomever addresses that inbox to serve their customers!
Old 08-31-2004, 08:59 AM
Suzuka Master

The little springs that broke.

Originally Posted by Jonesi
I was gonna say let alone 2 years.. I've never seen springs break..

Unfortunately, I have...

Some clowns that used to sell and install LOTs of BMW mods had the twisted idea of making their own lowering springs. I still can't believe that they actualy raced in SCCA competitions with their JUNK. They had this brilliant idea of taking stock BMW springs and cutting them with a torch and then claimed that they were AOK since they had someone re-temper them. (I actually think the only temper around was that of the owner; he had a bad one and used it to tell people "NO REFUNDS" when his crap broke.)

A bunch of folks had the springs break after a few years, and they didn't break due to rusting; they broke due to poor design (they sagged first, and then broke). When they broke off -- generally around the lower first or second coil -- they would leave a pointed end that tended to drive right through the suspension (coil pad) and it took a nice visit to the welder or a new trailing arm to set things straight. They called themselves "race proven professionals."

That asshat that raced and ran the place should have been used as a big fan belt - that's all he was good for.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:06 PM
COME AT ME BRO!

^^ no doubt eric he should be tared and feathered for all to see... i cant belive some one would do that to a bmw... those cars are not cheap by any means and im sure that aftermarket parts are the same way. thats just shitty to think your getting a high quality product and u get cut stock springs.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

this is some shaddy as shit. Comptech is never gonna get 1 cent out of me anymore. To think i thought all this time comptech makes products worth buying even if they are more expensive. You get what you pay for is a crock of shit. Damn i just hope people realize that if a company isnt gonna take care of thier customers, then there is no reason to take care of them. I say no one buy anymore comtech shit! Why keep a company in bussiness when it seems they obviously dont want to help everyone out with this prob. only the few that a presistant and patient with thier fcuking ass.

IM GOING TEINS, SCREW COMPTECH.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:48 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by asloudasitgets
this is some shaddy as shit. Comptech is never gonna get 1 cent out of me anymore. To think i thought all this time comptech makes products worth buying even if they are more expensive. You get what you pay for is a crock of shit. Damn i just hope people realize that if a company isnt gonna take care of thier customers, then there is no reason to take care of them. I say no one buy anymore comtech shit! Why keep a company in bussiness when it seems they obviously dont want to help everyone out with this prob. only the few that a presistant and patient with thier fcuking ass.

IM GOING TEINS, SCREW COMPTECH.
Why all the hating ???

So far EVERYONE that has contacted Comptech is getting refunded, exchanged, or credited for the defective product.
Even people who are out of warranty or not the original purchaser are getting partial credit.
Yes, it sucks about the failure, but I think they are handling the problem effectively.

Shawn S
Old 09-01-2004, 08:26 AM
Drifting

"partial credit"

The breaking of a spring after even 3 or 4 years is not something that "meets or exceeds OEM standards". Anything short of a recall and full replacement would be unprofessional IMO.

Put it this way, if Acura offered you a "partial credit" on your transmission, how would you feel?
Old 09-01-2004, 10:44 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by hemants
Put it this way, if Acura offered you a "partial credit" on your transmission, how would you feel?
If I were 2-Years out of warranty and had 125,000 miles on the car I’d feel pretty good.
Because in that scenario, Acura doesn’t have to do a thing.

Yes, it sucks that these springs are failing, but if Comptech offers ANYTHING after the warranty expires, that is something they don’t have to do.
I think they’re mainly doing this to stop a possible lawsuit if one fails and causes a wreck.

Suppose you buy a 500-dollar TV and it comes with a 3YR warranty.
If it blows up after 4-years you’d be pretty pissed right?
But if the company sent you a coupon for 100-bucks off a new set that would be a nice gesture.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:51 AM
Team Owner

And either Comptech is BS-ing me or this is a very small quantity problem.
I just talked to them last night and they are saying that this thread has only generated a “handful” of calls.
Everyone that called is being offered some kind of resolution.
So either you guys aren’t pushing the issue or they aren’t giving me the true numbers.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:55 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Shawn S
Suppose you buy a 500-dollar TV and it comes with a 3YR warranty.
If it blows up after 4-years you’d be pretty pissed right?
But if the company sent you a coupon for 100-bucks off a new set that would be a nice gesture.

That would be good unless the TV maker knew they had a bad batch floating around and did nothing to get them off the shelf. Didnt someone say CT knew they ahd some quality issues on a batch or 2 that went out?

Quick Reply: Can you check your Comptech Springs?