BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDW-2

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,822 Likes on 1,465 Posts
BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDW-2

Performed a search on AZ, could not find much in regards to this tire except for the thread below which does not say much:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...T%2FA%99+KDW-2

My safety concerns for tires focus mainly on good Wet/Dry traction for the daily commute on crazy/wet roadways like I-4/FL Turnpike/I-95

I've had two sets of 235/45/17 Toyo Proxes 4's on my stock wheels (averaged 25-30K per set) and have no complaints on wear longevity or handling characteristics thus far; however, I want to try something different and the BF KDW-2's look interesting.

The BF's have an All Season type 300 UTQG (same as Proxes 4's), which is what I'm looking for.

Anyone have any input, likes/dislikes etc?

P.S. Now for something completely different. I really like the tread design on the Toyo R1R's; however, they are soft as bubble gum but within budget. Just say'in.

Thanks.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:05 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by zeta
Performed a search on AZ, could not find much in regards to this tire except for the thread below which does not say much:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...T%2FA%99+KDW-2

My safety concerns for tires focus mainly on good Wet/Dry traction for the daily commute on crazy/wet roadways like I-4/FL Turnpike/I-95

I've had two sets of 235/45/17 Toyo Proxes 4's on my stock wheels (averaged 25-30K per set) and have no complaints on wear longevity or handling characteristics thus far; however, I want to try something different and the BF KDW-2's look interesting.

The BF's have an All Season type 300 UTQG (same as Proxes 4's), which is what I'm looking for.

Anyone have any input, likes/dislikes etc?

P.S. Now for something completely different. I really like the tread design on the Toyo R1R's; however, they are soft as bubble gum but within budget. Just say'in.

Thanks.
LMFAO, i would stay away from BFG's, they normally take a bit of weight to even balance them (especially the truck tires, i know some people swear by them, but they geneally are garbage)

as far as helping you to find some tires, what general price range are you looking at for each tire (btw figuring you are a type-S also)
Old 07-17-2010, 09:57 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,391 Likes on 4,937 Posts
Ive never had a problem balancing a set of BFGs. I love BFGs too.

I was going to get the KDWs as well but the Hankooks were cheaper. Reviews for both tires are very favorable.

Fries, for 17s IIRC the KDWs are around $140 a piece.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:59 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by civicdrivr
Ive never had a problem balancing a set of BFGs. I love BFGs too.

I was going to get the KDWs as well but the Hankooks were cheaper. Reviews for both tires are very favorable.

Fries, for 17s IIRC the KDWs are around $140 a piece.
never said you could not do it, just that they can take a bit of weight to balance out, especially when you start talking about their truck sized tires
Old 07-17-2010, 10:29 PM

I can definitely see problems with the truck tires. But as long as you match up the heavy side of the tire with the light side of the wheel you shouldnt have a problem getting them balanced without using too much weight (which mine never needed more then the usually amount).
Old 07-17-2010, 10:44 PM
B A N N E D

I can definitely see problems with the truck tires. But as long as you match up the heavy side of the tire with the light side of the wheel you shouldnt have a problem getting them balanced without using too much weight (which mine never needed more then the usually amount).
it does help, but like had a jeep today at work today, with relitively new BFG's, and it already had like 3-4 onces on the inside edge and like another 3-4 onces on the outside edge (btw every tire did) just to balance them (and you are talking about 16 of those stick on weights at 1/4 oz each, they actually had to stack them a little bit to get them to work)
Old 07-17-2010, 10:57 PM

You sure its not the wheels themselves? If not, I wouldve sent those tires back to BFG.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:03 PM
B A N N E D

You sure its not the wheels themselves? If not, I wouldve sent those tires back to BFG.
actually pretty normal for them, new boss has like 12 oz on each of his tires to balance them (a bit more worn though)

but yeah that jeep needed alot of suspension work though, and actually still does (all the suspension bushings basically, along with brakes basically all around (still good, but in a way not really), let alone some axle seals too, and a u-joint too, also it needed an alignment too, especially it needed alot more castor added

but it was fun test driving though , a manual 4.0 cherokee (kinda rare btw, most are auto)
Old 07-17-2010, 11:08 PM

Crazy.

But yea, OP, I like BFGs. I also am very happy with my Hankook Ventus V12 Evos. They were cheaper and have very good grip.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have had the KDW2's on my Jetta. I think they are some of the most responsive tires I have ever had. Really good in the rain, even made it through 2 Colorado winters with them. I had no trouble at all getting them balanced. Used very little weight actually on my BBS wheels. After they wore out I tried the Kumho SPT's. They did not stack up to the BFG's at all. Like night and day in the corners. I did like the Kumho MX's. They wer fantastic tires but wore out much faster than the BFG's.

I had the Proxes 4's on my CLS and thought they were a pretty good all season tire. Certanly one of the best all seasons I have used. I think you would be steping up a notch in the performance area with the KDW2's. Even in the rain.

Right now I have a set of KDW's (not KDW2's) on my 2wd Tacoma which is sport tuned sitting on Enkie RS-5's. I like them very much also. They do well in the rain and seem to be wearing very well. They balanced out just fine. They are great but if I had the extra money at the time I would have gotten the KDW2.

When they are worn out I think i'm going to try Hankook's.

Civic, which Hankooks did you get?
Old 07-17-2010, 11:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by friesm2000
actually pretty normal for them, new boss has like 12 oz on each of his tires to balance them (a bit more worn though)

but yeah that jeep needed alot of suspension work though, and actually still does (all the suspension bushings basically, along with brakes basically all around (still good, but in a way not really), let alone some axle seals too, and a u-joint too, also it needed an alignment too, especially it needed alot more castor added

but it was fun test driving though , a manual 4.0 cherokee (kinda rare btw, most are auto)
12oz? per tire? Are you sure about that?
Old 07-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

it does help, but like had a jeep today at work today, with relitively new BFG's, and it already had like 3-4 onces on the inside edge and like another 3-4 onces on the outside edge (btw every tire did) just to balance them (and you are talking about 16 of those stick on weights at 1/4 oz each, they actually had to stack them a little bit to get them to work)
What you desribe there is 4oz per tire, not 12oz.

Besides what are you doing balancing tires? I thought you had some super master tech automotive degree or something that was equal to a real bachalors degree? Isn't that what you called it?

Last edited by CH46ESeaKnight; 07-17-2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:41 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by CH46ESeaKnight
12oz? per tire? Are you sure about that?
completely DIFFERENT jeep
Old 07-18-2010, 12:51 AM

After they wore out I tried the Kumho SPT's. They did not stack up to the BFG's at all. Like night and day in the corners.
Civic, which Hankooks did you get?
I can agree with you that the SPTs are garbage. I went from S.drives to them and that was a huge mistake.

Im running the Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....s+V12+evo+K110

They dont have the grip as high of a grip rating (according to Tire Rack) as the KDW2s, but they are quieter and more comfortable. Tread wear is pretty good too. Ive had them on the car for about 6k miles and they are wearing evening (and not incredibly fast). I I love them. I will be trying out the KDW2s next though. How many miles did they last you and what was your driving habits?

The reviews of the KDW2s on TireRack show a few people using them at the track and they said they held up pretty well (for a street tire that is).

Last edited by civicdrivr; 07-18-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:16 AM
Suzuka Master

LMFAO, i would stay away from BFG's, they normally take a bit of weight to even balance them (especially the truck tires, i know some people swear by them, but they geneally are garbage)
Everytime I read one of your posts it is an F'in trip.

as far as helping you to find some tires, what general price range are you looking at for each tire (btw figuring you are a type-S also)
$130-$160. CLS6 supercharged.

But yea, OP, I like BFGs. I also am very happy with my Hankook Ventus V12 Evos. They were cheaper and have very good grip.
civicdrivr, thanks for the input. Glad to see someone else is interested in them as well. I like them for the tread design, which from the pictures I have been able to find, appear to have the channels for great water displacement at highway speeds. Some of the reviews I have read elsewhere state that they get noisey as they wear; however, that is not that big of a concern for me.

I have had the KDW2's on my Jetta. I think they are some of the most responsive tires I have ever had. Really good in the rain, even made it through 2 Colorado winters with them. I had no trouble at all getting them balanced. Used very little weight actually on my BBS wheels. After they wore out I tried the Kumho SPT's. They did not stack up to the BFG's at all. Like night and day in the corners. I did like the Kumho MX's. They wer fantastic tires but wore out much faster than the BFG's.
CH46ESeaKnight, Good stuff! That's what I'm looking for, real world experience/impressions with this tire. Thanks for your time as well.

I had the Proxes 4's on my CLS and thought they were a pretty good all season tire. Certanly one of the best all seasons I have used. I think you would be steping up a notch in the performance area with the KDW2's. Even in the rain.
I agree, the Proxes 4's have been the only tire I've tried other then the crappy OEM Michelin's, and they have served my needs well. High speed rain performance is very important and I feel the KDW-2's will perform well in that capacity.

Right now I have a set of KDW's (not KDW2's) on my 2wd Tacoma which is sport tuned sitting on Enkie RS-5's. I like them very much also. They do well in the rain and seem to be wearing very well. They balanced out just fine. They are great but if I had the extra money at the time I would have gotten the KDW2.
BF Goodrich states that the KDW-2s have a different tread design then the initial KDW's; however, they look the same to me. Maybe there is more rubber on the 2's or something.

Thanks again.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:22 AM
B A N N E D

but anyways
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....S&autoModClar=

a little more then you want to spend on them though, but no complants from me here (i got them but in 245/40-18's though)
Old 07-18-2010, 01:01 PM

I fell in love with the tread design of the KDW2s a few years ago when they first came out. If I dont get them for the CL, Ill be putting them on the Civic.

BTW, this is the KDW:

This is the KDW2:

Old 07-18-2010, 01:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Zeta, here is a link to the KDW's that I use now. They are noticably different fromt the KDW2's.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....orce+T%2FA+KDW

And here is the KDW2's.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ce+T%2FA+KDW+2

One more thing about the KDW2's is they were very forgiving in a hard corner. If you made a mistake you could correct it easily. Now that I think back I would have to say this is one of my favorite tires to drive on.
And high speed wet was no problem, I could even drive faster in the slushy snow. They do an excelent job with evacuation.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks civic, you beat me to it!

So far I'm very happy with the KDW's also. They are on clearance if they have them in your size. I got a smoking deal on them from Tirerack. I could not pass them up. The Tacoma handles better then it ever has with them. I'm running 225/50/16's. Just the right size for my truck.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:31 PM

Knight, how many miles did you get on the KDW2s?
Old 07-18-2010, 01:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Knight, how many miles did you get on the KDW2s?
Well, I was very hard on them with 300 wtq IN fwd and 3200lbs. They were so fun it was hard not to abuse them. I got about 9K before I sold the rimes and tires to upgrade my rims. When I sold them 2 of them had about 45 to 50%, and the other 2 had 70% or so left. I'm sure I could have got 18k minimum, and if I had not been so hard on the fronts I'm sure I could have managed an easy 25K.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:45 PM

Thats not too bad for the performance they offer.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Suzuka Master

The only Potenza's I have cared to own were the now extinct RE730's.
Example of tread design:
http://www.goin-on.com/campbellperfo...55016%2050.jpg

One more thing about the KDW2's is they were very forgiving in a hard corner. If you made a mistake you could correct it easily. Now that I think back I would have to say this is one of my favorite tires to drive on.
And high speed wet was no problem, I could even drive faster in the slushy snow. They do an excelent job with evacuation.
What size were you running on your CL at the time? Just wondering if the 235's will be to wide for my car; however, they should be fine because I have 235 Proxes 4's now. Sometimes widths vary between manufacturers. It should'nt be that much though.

Anyways, DiscountTire has a $60 online or mail-in rebate valid from 7/18/10 thru 8/14/10 on any set of 4 BFG tires running in my local paper. I'm going to check out the KDW-2's sometime this week in person, BS with the counter people and see if they have the nuts to match TireRack $135 ea. or Treadepot $137 ea. inclusive of the BFG coupon. hehe.

Thanks agian.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

The only Potenza's I have cared to own were the now extinct RE730's.
Example of tread design:
http://www.goin-on.com/campbellperfo...55016%2050.jpg

What size were you running on your CL at the time? Just wondering if the 235's will be to wide for my car; however, they should be fine because I have 235 Proxes 4's now. Sometimes widths vary between manufacturers. It should'nt be that much though.

Anyways, DiscountTire has a $60 online or mail-in rebate valid from 7/18/10 thru 8/14/10 on any set of 4 BFG tires running in my local paper. I'm going to check out the KDW-2's sometime this week in person, BS with the counter people and see if they have the nuts to match TireRack $135 ea. or Treadepot $137 ea. inclusive of the BFG coupon. hehe.

Thanks agian.
I never ran the BFG's on the CLS. They were on my Jetta. You should be fine with the 235's.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:24 PM

Ive been doing some research for some good tires and I came across these.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ECDW&tab=Specs

The ratings on them blows the BFGs out of the water.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Ive been doing some research for some good tires and I came across these.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ECDW&tab=Specs

The ratings on them blows the BFGs out of the water.

Thats a geat price too! 340 AA A, with thoes reviews! Sounds like a winner! Give'em a try!
Old 07-18-2010, 10:27 PM

Once the Hankooks are done thats what Ill be going with. They must be relatively new because I dont remember seeing them back in March when I got the Hankooks.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Suzuka Master

I finally found the time to get these KDW's mounted on my stock CLS wheels and there were no problems with regard to rubbing for the 235/45/17 size. In fact, it appears that there is still quite a bit of room at the upper knuckle area that could bear a 245 width. However, that size would very most likely rub on the fender side for sure.

I will write a few lines when I get some miles on them, but for now they feel real smooth and responsive. I suspect MPG's will suffer a bit because they are heavier than the Toyo's but that's OK. Got to try new things!

BTW, Firestone and TiresPlus retail locations have coupon specials going on for the month of June thru July in regards to lifetime alignments if anyone is in need of this service.

http://www.firestonecompleteautocare...FQwZ2god9HV6sg

http://www.tiresplus.com/repair/stee...|b|10741705426

From what I understand Firestone owns TiresPlus so they honor each others lifetime plans, although TiresPlus is a little less expensive.

Oh, and this clowns statement about BFG's taking alot of weight was completely wrong, at least in my case.

Last edited by zeta; 06-03-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Suzuka Master

I know how you feel about internet sales. Most of the vendors I have used have given me very little grief.

However, the set of BFG KDW's I recently purchased was going to come from onlinetires.com. They have them listed for $109.27 + $19.52 each shipped to my zip. One set of four totaled $515.18 ($128.79ea) with no FL sales tax. Pretty good I thought, since TreadDepot had them $140ea;TireRack at $144 ea; and TireKingdom;DiscountTire at $160 ea. before tax and install.

Then I performed a google search on their reviews (onlinetires) and it came back with a shitload of nightmare feedback. I found one guy on another forum recommend that if you buy from them online, first call and see if they have the tires in stock to minimize any miscommunication. So, I gave them a call. I talked to someone who sounded like he was clueless with the type of tire I was inquiring about, so he handed me off to someone else after a 10 minute hold. The redflags are starting to fly in my head and was ready to hang up, when someone else finally answered. This guy sounded like he knew his shit and proceeded to tell me that the website price was incorrect at $109.27 and is now $118.27 ea. and they would have to be special ordered.

To make a long story short, I took a printout of the shopping cart info. regarding a set of 4 KDW's at $109.27 each from OLtires to a local DiscountTire and the manager matched OLtires price. I received the tires in 2 days and carried them out. I actually broke even with the price even though I paid FL sales tax (which I was trying to avoid) at DiscountTire and got the tires sooner rather than later with no drama/uncertainty from OLtires and their shady practices.

Since this was a large dollar purchase, it payed to do a little research on this vendor because their price seemed to good to be true. Once I read the reviews and then talked to the sales people there, the $36 dollars in FL sales tax was a small price to pay for no DRAMA. hehe
I copied the post above (for informational purposes) from another thread and wanted to repost it here to reflect how I was able to get a super price for these specific tires from Discountire.

Performed a search on Onlinetires.com for these same tires today, while researching another tire set for my brother, and now they have corrected their website to price these KDW's at $144 each from the $109.27 Discountire matched for me. An increase of $34.73each before shipping. The markup margin on tires is crazy!

Last edited by zeta; 06-10-2011 at 08:12 PM.