Alignment ***Please Advise

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 10:05 AM
2001 CL Type S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alignment ***Please Advise

I'm supposed to have my car delivered to me this evening and as part of the work done I asked Crest Acura to check the alignment; the car drifted to the right during the test drive. The words "check alignment" are clearly written on the bill of sale. I asked the salesman yesterday if they checked it and the service guy told him it's due to "uneven tire wear." I asked him if they could legally sell it like that and he said as long as the tires pass inspection. Granted, the tires do need to be replaced soon and I was fully aware of that. I'm not convinced they ever even put it on the rack to check it. How should this be handled? I'm thinking I want proof that the alignment was actually put on the rack.
Old 05-18-2006, 10:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RuthlessPastor
I'm supposed to have my car delivered to me this evening and as part of the work done I asked Crest Acura to check the alignment; the car drifted to the right during the test drive. The words "check alignment" are clearly written on the bill of sale. I asked the salesman yesterday if they checked it and the service guy told him it's due to "uneven tire wear." I asked him if they could legally sell it like that and he said as long as the tires pass inspection. Granted, the tires do need to be replaced soon and I was fully aware of that. I'm not convinced they ever even put it on the rack to check it. How should this be handled? I'm thinking I want proof that the alignment was actually put on the rack.
I have that issue on my S-10 blazer - the alignment is perfect - had it checked out and everything, but due to uneven tire wear it pulls to the right... nothing you can do but replace the tires... and since theres no laws about how even tire wear is the only thing you CAN try to do is get them to replace the tires.. maybe eat some of the costs of it...
Old 05-18-2006, 11:05 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i bought my cls a little over a month ago and about 3 weeks ago i noticed one of the tires had two soft spots in the wall, i was obviously pissed, i took it to the dealership and they replaced it for me. it wasnt under warranty, sales payed for the tire cuz they agreed that it wasnt right to sell a car with a bad tire. i love the service ive had so far from my ac dealership
Old 05-18-2006, 11:29 AM
I'm here in spirit...

I had that problem on my last tires. I actually had an alignment done right after I did the springs and the car pulled hard to the right. I rotated the tires and it fixed that immediately. I have since replaced all of the tires and it's still fine.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:17 PM
It ain't mine.

Definitly tire pull,there is no adjustments for camber or caster on our cars, unless something is bent.If that was the case you would have a little more than slight drift.Any alignment machine that was made within the last 10 years has a printer that comes with it,therefor a before and after printout should be givin upon reciept of car.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:28 PM
2001 CL Type S

Update.

I called the salesman and asked to see the printout of the alignment during delivery. He said he didn't know if it was actually put on the rack but I can talk to the service guy and he trusts him. I asked him what happens if I get tires put on in the next couple of weeks and it still pulls to the right? So he talked to the service guy again and it was agreed an alignment would be best to do after the new tires are put on; they are going to write me a voucher for it.

I am happy with the outcome and at least now I know they're willing to work with me.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:37 PM
East Coast Boost.!

Where is Central NY, just curious
Old 05-18-2006, 12:44 PM
2001 CL Type S

Originally Posted by Titand19
Where is Central NY, just curious
Syracuse Area. I live in an eastern suburb and work downtown. There aren't many Type S's in this town that I have seen either.
Old 05-18-2006, 04:34 PM
Not Asian

Originally Posted by shill1234
Definitly tire pull,there is no adjustments for camber or caster on our cars, unless something is bent.If that was the case you would have a little more than slight drift.Any alignment machine that was made within the last 10 years has a printer that comes with it,therefor a before and after printout should be givin upon reciept of car.
The fronts are adjustable to a point. The rears are not adjustable.
Old 05-18-2006, 06:57 PM
It ain't mine.

Originally Posted by phipark
The fronts are adjustable to a point. The rears are not adjustable.
How do you figure that?
Old 05-19-2006, 08:29 AM
Not Asian

How do you figure that?
I just figured since the dealership adjusted my camber in the front after installing springs. Am I wrong?
Old 05-19-2006, 09:22 AM
It ain't mine.

Originally Posted by phipark
I just figured since the dealership adjusted my camber in the front after installing springs. Am I wrong?
Without an adjustable balljoint,camber is not adjustable from the factory on these cars.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:09 PM
6 speed...

Definitly tire pull,there is no adjustments for camber or caster on our cars, unless something is bent.
you're right about no camber adjustment.

but caster is adjusted by shimming the radius arm where it meets the subframe. adding shims forces the lower control arm rearward relative to the upper a-arm, reducing caster angle.