Intermittent brake grinding

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013 | 08:43 PM
Safety Car

Intermittent brake grinding

Noticed something these past couple days where occasionally it sounds like my driver's side front brake grinds intermittently when braking (regardless of light, moderate braking, etc). It sounds like it normally does after I give my car + wheels a good wash. However almost a full week afterwards, it still does it. Noticed it after I tried a new brand of spray-on/rinse-off wheel cleaner. Not sure if that makes any difference...

It doesn't happen every time I come to a stop, just.... sometimes. And the weird thing is that it's not a constant grinding, it's... well, intermittent. Instead of a constant grinding noise like KRRRRRRK, it's more like "KRRK......KRRK.....KRRK" Maybe some buildup or a spot on the rotors? Since it's intermittent and not constant, I'm thinking it's not worn-out pads or anything. Any ideas?

Another thing is that I can't really hear it so well if I roll down my windows. I hear it only inside the cabin, if that means anything.

Thanks for any help!

EDIT: Also my brake fluid is in need to be flushed/replaced within the next 2 months. Does that have any significance?

Last edited by Rapture; 08-11-2013 at 08:50 PM. Reason: 4got
Old 08-12-2013 | 12:56 AM
Pro

Brake fluid should have nothing to do the the sound you are hearing. I would not rely on the sensors to tell you about your brakes. It would be a good idea to take a look at the pads. Pull the wheel and see if there is still some brake pad left and that they are wearing consistently. That would be a good place to start.
Old 08-21-2013 | 01:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Check the pads. Are the rotors warped? If everything is good, I would bed in the pads again.
Old 09-01-2013 | 04:06 PM
Eurotrash

Checked for gravel stuck in tread?
Pull off the wheel and check both inner and outer pads for wear. Also, there's an audible wear indicator that might be corroded or bent out of place...
Old 09-12-2013 | 02:10 PM
Safety Car

Sorry for the not updating sooner.

Iunno, I had the brakes checked up (nothing really too in-depth, just a look-over) and everything is fine, apparently. The grinding noise did go away. tbh I just blasted the pad/caliper area and the noise just went away. Maybe just crap on the pads? I'll definitely keep an eye on it -- and all the things you guys mentioned
Old 09-13-2013 | 11:04 AM
Eurotrash

Originally Posted by Rapture
The grinding noise did go away. tbh I just blasted the pad/caliper area and the noise just went away. Maybe just crap on the pads?
What did you "blast" it with? Noise? Water? Compressed air? Sand...?

Now that my pads have been in for a long time, all four sets of pads and clips have started to rattle in the calipers, but that's a distinct sound of rattling when going over over rough road, not grinding...