How to get fuel out of a 2003 3.2 CL

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 09:44 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How to get fuel out of a 2003 3.2 CL

Did you total your beloved 2nd gen CL, had it towed home & realized your tank is full of expensive 91 octane no alcohol (E0) gasoline? I did, & searched the internet for a way to extract the fuel without a bunch of complex procedures, untested suggestions or registering for an auto repair site. I didn't find any. Siphoning didn't work because something blocked the tube past the filler neck before reaching any fuel.
I decided the least intrusive way would be removing the fuel pump through the trunk floor then stick a hose attached to a hand pump down into the tank. This was before I noticed the fuel exit tube was not threaded.

***Danger!***

Please! Before you think about disconnecting the connector to the fuel pump/gauge sender and powering the pump motor directly with 12VDC, realize that you're dealing with highly flamable & explosive vapors in a confined space. Any source of ignition such as an electric spark or even a spark from a tool can result in serious injury or death. My method does not involve bypassing electricity or removing the pump assembly.

1st remove the trunk mat by removing the plastic barb near the pass through door.

Remove 3 phillips screws in trunk floor cover fuel pump access plate.

Here is the trunk access cover to the fuel pump removed.

I went to Harbor Freight and purchased their liquid transfer pump kit for $7 + tax. I saw a similar device available at Auto Zone.

I had a nylon braided hand shower hose laying around that I cut the ends off and used it on the suction side. The braiding helps prevent the hose from collapsing inward. I used one of the red tubings on the discharge side.
Since the fuel line connection is not threaded you can press the side catches and pull the fuel tube away. The left tank tube is where the gas exits. You can disconnect the pump/sender to move the access plate out of the way, be sure the ignition is off. Insert one end of the suction tube over the fuel tank exit tube, the other end into the suction end of the hand pump. Insert discharge tube into hand pump exit port, put the other end of discharge tube into a gas can and start pumping.

The hand pump has enough vacuum to pull the fuel through the filter & fuel pump but it's only a few ounces per stroke. So it will take a while to get 15 gallons out. But I think it's safer & worth not having to do the extra surgery of removing a few more bolts, breaking the seal & taking the fuel pump all the way out.
Since the damage to my car was to the right side behind the front tire, I was able to check my progress by reconnecting the pump/sender, turn the ignition key to on & observe the fuel gauge. You can leave the electrical connection attached but you can get to the fuel tank outlet easier when it's removed. Be sure ignition is off before removing or attaching any electrical connections around gas. Even better, disconnect the battery. If you can't check your progress with the gas gauge, you'll need to keep track by how many times you fill your gas can.

Last edited by jdavidm; 08-16-2015 at 09:53 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 08-16-2015, 11:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
it would have been faster just to disconnect the fuel line at the regulator and supply 12V to the pump...
Old 08-17-2015, 08:10 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool. Tell us how.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:06 PM
Eurotrash

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Sorry to hear you totalled your precious CL!
Get another one!
Old 08-28-2015, 04:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by jdavidm
Cool. Tell us how.
read previous statement

you went and got all that stuff
and all you had to do was

1. disconnect fuel line from pump
2. connect rubber hose to pump and put other end in a 10 gal gas can
3. supply power to pump and voilla gas pumps out