HID problem and few other repair related questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011 | 01:50 AM
4th Gear

HID problem and few other repair related questions

Hello,

My driver side headlight is having some problems since last few months. It works flawlessly sometimes but most of the item it doesn't. But when it works, it is very bright and steady. Also, it started working without any issues last week as if nothing was ever wrong with it. But after 7 or 8 days without any issues, the problem surfaced again. I am wondering if this is due to old battery, bad wiring etc? it is definitely not the bulb. Any suggestions?

Also, my SRS light is on for quite sometime. One Acura dealer told me that it will be fixed without any cost to me. Another dealer told me that fixing SRS issue will cost me. I have 145,000 on this 2003 CL.

Last question is about timing belt replacement, do we really need to get timing belt replaced? My last Acura was 98 TL and I kept it until it had 180K miles and I never replaced the timing belt on it. However, I don't want take any chances now since I plan on keeping this car for another 2 to 3 years. Wondering if this is really important?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 01-16-2011 | 04:59 PM
Safety Car

You had a car for almost 200k miles and never replaced the timing belt? I'd consider myself lucky if I got that much out of a timing belt. If you don't want to take chances, then I'd say get the belt replaced.... by someone who absolutely knows how to do it. If you get a crap mechanic to change your timing belt, it'll break apart faster than your factory installed one will if you keep it in.
Old 01-16-2011 | 07:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

A new ballast will probably fix your headlight problem, you can get them on line and it is an easy job. You can just bypass the factory unit and leave it where it is. Yes the timing belt must be done. You'll get a new water pump, coolant and tensioners too. SRS problem was a warrantee fix but I'm not sure in your case with the miles and years, check with your dealer. With the SRS light on I have read that the air bag system will not function in case of an accident.
Old 01-18-2011 | 03:25 PM
Suzuka Master

If the SRS light is on due to the seatbelt buckles, then it will be free to fix.
Old 01-19-2011 | 12:00 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by aznboi2424
If the SRS light is on due to the seatbelt buckles, then it will be free to fix.
Alright this is great to know.
But if I remember it correctly then the dealer who recommended me to get it fixed (without any cost to me) mentioned that my air bags won't deploy - I don't think he mentioned any thing about seatbelt but I guess I should be setting up a service appointment
Old 01-19-2011 | 12:05 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Rapture
You had a car for almost 200k miles and never replaced the timing belt? I'd consider myself lucky if I got that much out of a timing belt. If you don't want to take chances, then I'd say get the belt replaced.... by someone who absolutely knows how to do it. If you get a crap mechanic to change your timing belt, it'll break apart faster than your factory installed one will if you keep it in.
I guess I have been lucky twice..
Will be taking it to an Acura Dealership since I do not know any mechanic personally. Lets hope the person who replaces the belt(s) really knows his stuff
Old 01-19-2011 | 12:21 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by ChucksCL-S
A new ballast will probably fix your headlight problem, you can get them on line and it is an easy job. You can just bypass the factory unit and leave it where it is. Yes the timing belt must be done. You'll get a new water pump, coolant and tensioners too. SRS problem was a warrantee fix but I'm not sure in your case with the miles and years, check with your dealer. With the SRS light on I have read that the air bag system will not function in case of an accident.
I had one ballast replaced about 4 years ago for the other headlight so it seems like it is same problem again only affecting a different headlight now.

One more thing that I would like to add is that when the car runs continuously for 30+ minutes at highway speeds (55+mph) then the headlight starts working. It is just that I don't drive on highways nowadays very often.
This problem is affecting my left headlight, right headlight is okay. However, I have also noticed on numerous occassions that when the problematic light (left) turns on, the right headlight goes off. And a couple of times during the past 4 months, both headlights went off while driving. Turning off and turning on brought back one light back on again. This makes me think that maybe my battery is not getting charged enough and cannot supply the power needed by the headlights. Again I think that since most of my driving trips are short and on city streets, maybe it isn't enough to charge the battery and then the battery I have is now 8 years old (original battery that came with the car).