Dryer/Reciever replacement during AC repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 03:12 PM
metalguitarist.org

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dryer/Reciever replacement during AC repair

Hi folks,

Two months ago, I dropped my car off for the 100k service/timing belt, and told the dealer to repair my AC system. My AC compressor died (quite violently) and I relayed this to the service manager when I brought the car in. My basic words were "The compressor made a ton of grinding noise, and now my AC doesn't work, so I'd like that repaired as well".

This was exactly two months ago, and in the last two months I've driven the car 2,000 miles (was away on business travel). Saturday was gorgeous out here, so for the first time since the repair I went to toss my AC on. Lo and behold, warm air.

So I dragged the car back up to the dealer today, and they told me that the problem is that the dryer/receiver is bad/clogged, and that it will be an additional $750 including labor to replace it. My question here is, wouldn't this be a necessary replacement at the time of the initial repair anyway to pressure test the system, or plainly, see if it blows cold air?

The SM told me that it's "unrelated" and that because my car has so many miles, this is a totally separate repair. Before I get a bit sour with him, I'm thinking that if my AC compressor blows up, naturally that's going to hose the D/C, and there's no way that it's pure coincidence that it just so happens that the D/C dies the VERY FIRST time I went to use my AC since the repair.

He said the tech checked it, but this was in February, in New England. If it's 10 degrees outside, there's a pretty good chance that the car's going to blow cold air regardless. They've had my car a total of 5 days (last repair + this one), and I've had to make two trips up to the dealership which is about 110 miles from where I work. On top of the inconvenience factor, I'm thinking I'm entitled to some degree of a labor discount here because:

A) It obviously didn't work the first time, the tech that worked on it should have noticed it.
B) It's pretty far fetched that the D/C failing on the very first use of my AC is coincidental.

Am I out of line in requesting a discount? My family has bought seven cars at this same dealership over the last 10 years, 5 of them brand new, 3 of them brand new TL-S's. I'm under the impression that I'm getting double-dipped on labor fees because the first tech did a crappy job of pressure testing the system after he replaced the compressor. I actually don't think he did, I think he just turned the vents on in 10* weather, felt cold air, and assumed it was working. The first repair ran me $1400 for the AC work alone, not including the timing/100k service.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,355 Likes on 4,916 Posts
Dumb question, but are you sure you have freon in there?
Old 04-28-2009, 12:49 PM
Instructor

Do not pay them a dime. It is their fault...
SOP to change the receiver drier when changing a compressor.
The drier is clogged with the remnants from your previous compressor when it was shot.
They did not clean the system properly before they add freon.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:56 PM
metalguitarist.org

I'm hoping they'll work with me on the cost of the repair. They've always been pretty good to me and my family (it's why we keep buying cars there). It's also why I take my 130k mile car to a dealer instead of a local shop. It's a few bucks more, but the service, plus warranty on the work, plus the fact that they always give me a brand new loaner every time I bring my car in is completely worth it to me. I have an '09 TSX in my driveway right now with 719 miles on it.

I'm not crying "These guys are screwing me". I think the service manager is just doing his job, but I don't think he quite gets what I'm saying to him, and from what I can tell you guys are agreeing with me. Not replacing the RD when I brought the car in saying "Fix my AC, my compressor exploded" is a lazy ass move on the side of the tech that did the work, and the fact that the thing was discovered to be dead the VERY FIRST TIME I used my AC since the work tells me that they did not check out the system at all.

Edit: The price they quoted me on the repair is $700 and change, btw. So it'll end up ~$1800 for the whole system, assuming there's no other mystery parts that decide to break on it.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:43 PM
Sundance Gold in

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
These guys are bunch of morons. When compressor ceases all sort of junk shavings and burnt oil gets into system. It usually gates trapped in drier/receiver which should be replaced ALWAYS! with this kind of repair. Condenser might be disconnected and flushed - no need to replace - its just a radiator. Right now you are facing clogged expansion valve. Valve is very simple its basically a chamber with a little tiny hole in it - way smaller than hair. Its a bi*ch to replace tough - need to take half a dashboard apart.