CL-S CLutch Failed...question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 09:23 AM
PJC
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL-S CLutch Failed...question...

While in the middle of rush hour outside of Boston, my '03 Cl-S 6SP with 54k died. I noticed that when trying to accelerate, I just revved and got no go....of course, the nice drivers that are in Boston would not allow me to get over to the right as I was losing speed and I ended up stalled out in the middle lane....had to get out of the car and push it to the side of the road.

My point: upon hearing back from the dealer they informed me that my clutch was gone and that the flywheel was "blue and warped/overheated" and that resurfacing would not be a good fix. $1500 for the clutch, 650 for the flywheel.

I have been looking for any recourse as far as recall or failed sensors, anything to give me some ammo when speaking with the service manager.

Any of you have any tips or pointers that I may try...it seems odd that my clutch would go....while on the highway with only 54k. I've driven standards all of my life and have never had a clutch issue and have kept my cars to 130k+.

Any/all responses appreciated.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did they tell you what happened; worn out, pressure plate failure, etc?
Old 08-20-2007, 09:39 AM
PJC
10th Gear

Service just said clutch was "pretty much fried and the flywheel was warped"
Old 08-20-2007, 01:10 PM
PJC
10th Gear

Update!!!

I had been speaking with the service manager regarding the clutch....Acura is picking up the cost of the parts (clutch and flywheel) I will pay the labor - total out of pocket is $690....better than the $2100 parts and labor they had first quoted me.

From what service said - it appeared that the clutch was sticking and caused the flywheel to overheat and "basically implode".....whatever the cause, I just know I did not have to pick up the whole cost.

Now I am going to be selling it....54k miles, first 19k gets it!
Old 08-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
That's good to hear!
There have been a few members that have had early clutch failure. Given the # of 6mt's & the few # of fried clutches before 50K miles, the end thinking is there was some sort of defect in a few cars within the flywheel or assembly. But good luck proving this to Acura to issues a recall.
I would not be quick to get rid of it. The car DOES NOT have any major tranny problems. I think your only the 3rd or 4th member to have premature failure.
So please don't get scared & dump it because of your luck.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:08 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
That's good to hear!
There have been a few members that have had early clutch failure. Given the # of 6mt's & the few # of fried clutches before 50K miles, the end thinking is there was some sort of defect in a few cars within the flywheel or assembly. But good luck proving this to Acura to issues a recall.
I would not be quick to get rid of it. The car DOES NOT have any major tranny problems. I think your only the 3rd or 4th member to have premature failure.
So please don't get scared & dump it because of your luck.
If you like the car, hang on to it. With the new clutch, you should have no problems seeing well over 100K miles with this car. I would consider your clutch failure as unique. The upside of your problem was Acura stood by their product and absorbed part of the cost. They could have been silent and charged you the whole $2,100.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

I got nailed for the whole cost of the clutch....I may print a copy of this thread and send Acura my bill to see if they can refund any part of my clutch replacement. I still don't think I did anything that should have worn it out that fast (45K miles when it was replaced).

PJC, can you tell PM me and give me the name of the person you talked to and what dealer you took your car to?