Car actin' up - throttle sticking?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car actin' up - throttle sticking?

So we were cruising up north from Seatown on a gorgeous day (go figure), and as I was pulling out from a gas station, my car started revving like crazy at redline and stayed there - didn't stop. I had to pull off and literally turn off my engine. I pulled on the throttle body cables a bit, and the car started smoothly thereafter. This happened before the week previously and I brought it to a shop - performance shop that also does maintenance, etc - and they said that they could find anything. Said if it happened again that I may need to get my throttle body cleaned, etc. Any recs anyone?
Old 05-24-2009, 01:30 PM
Gonna cost to catch up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check and make sure your filter on your intake is still on, sounds like maybe something got sucked up and damaged your IAC valve.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:27 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
spray some of the sea foam (in the spray bottle) at your throttle body and make sure that the cables work freely by the tb and my the pedal
Old 05-24-2009, 06:47 PM
Registered Abuser

i know EXACTLY WHAT IT IS. i just fixed mine .

do you somehow have a CAI? or removed ur intake resonator and added k&n drpo in filter?

Anyways, to fix that, you would need to remove the entire intake and tubing to where the idle control valve is...the inside of that control valve where the throttle opens the valve is dirty and filled with dust. you need to get wd40 and clean that thing so the control valve is opened up freely and doesnt stick.

i had the same problem, i was at mcdonalds and noticed my engine started reving on its own..so i put it to neutral to see what the hell was going on, and the engine started going crazy... then all my lights turned on and check engine lights, vsa, etc...

long story short, its from all the shit the intake sucks up...i went back to stock now....on the long run if u didnt fix it, ur engine would probably go...this has happened to me on both of my cl-s.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:56 PM
Registered Abuser

here is the pic of the valve
Old 05-24-2009, 07:12 PM
Gonna cost to catch up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep i had this happen too. My filter came off the CAI tubing and sucked up debris causing my cars rpm to shoot up around 5,000 rpm and back down over and over. I had taken it to the stealership and they charged me $500 to fix this problem..
Old 05-24-2009, 07:27 PM
Registered Abuser

Originally Posted by kyle77777
Yep i had this happen too. My filter came off the CAI tubing and sucked up debris causing my cars rpm to shoot up around 5,000 rpm and back down over and over. I had taken it to the stealership and they charged me $500 to fix this problem..

yea thats why i went back complete stock..not worth it to pay all that money to fix it over a damn cai or intake resonator removal. even if your tubing didnt come off..over time that dust will pick up ALOT quicker and eventually mess up your engine. i got lucky i just cleaned out teh valve and the sensor didnt mess up on me...otherwise i would have to buy a new one.
Old 06-15-2009, 06:12 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by immauser
i know EXACTLY WHAT IT IS. i just fixed mine .

do you somehow have a CAI? or removed ur intake resonator and added k&n drpo in filter?

Anyways, to fix that, you would need to remove the entire intake and tubing to where the idle control valve is...the inside of that control valve where the throttle opens the valve is dirty and filled with dust. you need to get wd40 and clean that thing so the control valve is opened up freely and doesnt stick.

i had the same problem, i was at mcdonalds and noticed my engine started reving on its own..so i put it to neutral to see what the hell was going on, and the engine started going crazy... then all my lights turned on and check engine lights, vsa, etc...

long story short, its from all the shit the intake sucks up...i went back to stock now....on the long run if u didnt fix it, ur engine would probably go...this has happened to me on both of my cl-s.
Hey there, im having i guess the same sort of problem... the car starts to rev on its own like the throttle is sticking, i actually took it in to get it checked out today, they cleaned my throttle body and said it should be working fine, so i drove out and half way home it started doing it again... what else could it be... or should i just change my throttle body? any recomendations would be very apreciated...
Old 06-15-2009, 06:19 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

ppl have been runing k&n filters for thousands and thousands of miles with no problem. over time u have to start cleaning stuff. i had my k&n drop in filter for about 15k miles now and have had no problems, just clean it when its dirty and oil it. ive even driven with out a filter for a few miles (at the track) and poped the filter back in and no problem
Old 06-15-2009, 06:57 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Rajca
ppl have been runing k&n filters for thousands and thousands of miles with no problem. over time u have to start cleaning stuff. i had my k&n drop in filter for about 15k miles now and have had no problems, just clean it when its dirty and oil it. ive even driven with out a filter for a few miles (at the track) and poped the filter back in and no problem
Hey i just changed and cleaned out my air filter and tube... so im sure thats not the problem... anything else u think?
Old 06-15-2009, 07:26 PM
wham bam thank you ma'am

vacuum leak? iac bad?