Bad torque steer after clutch replacement.

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 09:42 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad torque steer after clutch replacement.

Ok everyone, so I paid to have a local mechanic replace my clutch and flywheel and got my car back in worse condition than it originally was . I was having it replaced originally because of a slight vibration when engaging gears, but as it turns out MY CLUTCH STILL HAD THE GROOVES IN THE DISC, pressure plate spic and span. FLYWHEEL WITH NO WARPS AND VERY VERY MINIMAL MARKS! so talk about pissed! 1000 dollars down the drain. But after I got my car back, it now has TERRIBLE torque steer. if i am cruising at a set speed and foot off the gas, the steering wheel is straight and doesnt pull, when i give it gas, the car pulls hard to the right or to the left. Its random which side it pulls to when giving it gas. When I take the my foot back off the gas, then the car stops pulling and straigtens out again! SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!
Old 10-26-2010, 11:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
I was having it replaced originally because of a slight vibration when engaging gears,
Why would you think that had anything to do with the clutch? All a clutch does is engage & disengage the trans from the motor. If you step on the gas & the rpm's raise & you don't go anywhere that is a clutch problem.
Sounds to me like either your axles are bad, motor mounts are bad or someone didn't install something right. Take it back & complain.

After reading your other post, if the car was a salvage, it's possible once the shop unbolted something to do this job, it exposed a bent or broken part that was otherwise ok because it was still bolted tight or even jammed into something else.

Last edited by fuzzy02CLS; 10-26-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:31 PM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
my guess would be a bad/loose mount. When you apply throttle the engine bucks a bit...that could cause the bad torque steer if it's not bolted down tight.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:02 PM
Instructor

I didnt think it was the clutch, I thought it was a warped flywheel. I decided to also replace the clutch and rear main while it was cracked open. Well I am dropping it back off at the shop sometime this week and they are going to do a complete tear down and retorque every bolt to spec. Its really pissing me off. I can tell something isnt bolted down all the way because metal in the engine bay is clunking around everytime i hit a speed bump.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:05 PM
Instructor

and as far as the rebuilt title goes, the accident was so minor that the car still has the original fenders on it. along with original hood, etc. The car was hit in the back and i believe then pushed into someone else in the front. Both front and rear subframes were replaced. Also I would think that nomatter what, once something like a subframe is bolted down, its not going to shift randomly. If there is pull, then it would be a constant pull from whatever angle its warped. My car is randomly pulling to one side depending on how far left or right the steering wheel is. And then it will straighten out once i take off of the gas. That def isnt a subframe problem. Atleast I wouldnt think.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:11 PM
Instructor

gnuts you are the effen man!!!! So I took my car back to the shop today and they swore up and down that it was because my car was in an accident. BULL S**T! The first time I took the car back last week, the mechanic forgot to put a bolt in my outer tie rod. They fixed that and the torque problem still existed. Took it back today and told him I read that people was saying my motor mount could be bad or not bolted down. They were like "no way I would miss something like that" Well I get a call with more excuses. So I get there to inspect the car before taking it back and guess what I found.....The tranny mount that mounts to the subframe was missing all the bolts!!!! We bolt it down and the problem is fixed!!!!!! Yall just saved me $125 diagnostics fee! Thanks.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:31 PM
Instructor

oh and the owner felt so bad that hes giving me my timing belt and water pump job for free!!
Old 10-28-2010, 08:22 AM
3.5 psi

Received 798 Likes on 636 Posts
nice! glad it's back up and running....your car looks sweet man.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:36 PM
Instructor

Thanks. Its slammed so low in the back that the swaybar links were broken completely in half and I didnt even know it until the mechanic pointed it out to me while it was on the rack. I need to raise it a little....
Old 10-28-2010, 11:38 PM
Instructor

you should see the new mufflers that are going on. It has the same shape as the cls but just fills the hole more and it has a split down the middle like a porsche or something. It looks sweet. Hopefully the car will be turboed with the 2.5 exhaust and meth kit within two weeks. Im waiting for the wifey to head to miami so she doesnt nag so much about me working on the car!! you married guys know what im talkin about!!!