Bad battery cable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 10:31 PM
I'm out of HELL!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad battery cable?

I have a 2001 CL-S. I had the battery replaced once in the 12.5 years I've owned the car but to be honest I can't tell you how long ago.

I think I have a corroded battery cable but I'm not 100% sure if it's that or the battery itself. I'm going to bring it to Autozone tomorrow to have it tested but I thought I'd post here and see what people think as well.

The remote control works and I can get into the car. The interior lights work. When I put the key in the ignition and then turn it two clicks all lights on the dash are fine as are the interior lights. As soon I as turn it to to start it I hear one click and then everything goes dead including the clock. I turn the key back to "off" and remove it and then the interior light and clock come back on. At the same time the CD changer is going crazy like it got power back.

If I take the cover off the battery and wiggle the negative cable (which is showing big signs of corrosion), get back in the car and re-start it it will crank over just fine and it's good to go. When I stop it again, go food shopping and attempt to restart it I have to do this all over again.

I discovered tonight that the car will not start if I have the driver's door open and the dome light is on. There's just not enough power making it through the cable to start the car. If I close the door then the car starts.

Is this a bad battery or a bad battery cable? I think it's the cable because if the battery were bad I wouldn't have full power on everything before I attempt to start the car. By full power I mean all electrical items work and the interior dome light is at full power.

I'm going to try and get an iPhone pic of the battery cable to share on here as well if I can attach a file.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Rob
PS - is it easy to replace the battery cables myself or do I need to have it done?
Old 10-22-2012, 10:40 PM
I'm out of HELL!!!!

Here are three pics showing what I believe is a badly corroded cable.

Thanks,
Rob
Attached Thumbnails Bad battery cable?-acura-battery-1.jpg   Bad battery cable?-acura-battery-2.jpg   Bad battery cable?-acura-battery-3.jpg  
Old 10-22-2012, 11:05 PM
Learning New Ways!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I have a 2001 CL-S. I had the battery replaced once in the 12.5 years I've owned the car but to be honest I can't tell you how long ago.

I think I have a corroded battery cable but I'm not 100% sure if it's that or the battery itself. I'm going to bring it to Autozone tomorrow to have it tested but I thought I'd post here and see what people think as well.

The remote control works and I can get into the car. The interior lights work. When I put the key in the ignition and then turn it two clicks all lights on the dash are fine as are the interior lights. As soon I as turn it to to start it I hear one click and then everything goes dead including the clock. I turn the key back to "off" and remove it and then the interior light and clock come back on. At the same time the CD changer is going crazy like it got power back.

If I take the cover off the battery and wiggle the negative cable (which is showing big signs of corrosion), get back in the car and re-start it it will crank over just fine and it's good to go. When I stop it again, go food shopping and attempt to restart it I have to do this all over again.

I discovered tonight that the car will not start if I have the driver's door open and the dome light is on. There's just not enough power making it through the cable to start the car. If I close the door then the car starts.

Is this a bad battery or a bad battery cable? I think it's the cable because if the battery were bad I wouldn't have full power on everything before I attempt to start the car. By full power I mean all electrical items work and the interior dome light is at full power.

I'm going to try and get an iPhone pic of the battery cable to share on here as well if I can attach a file.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Rob
PS - is it easy to replace the battery cables myself or do I need to have it done?

Get the battery cables cleaned up first, Sounds like a bad ground to me due to corrosion get some heat shrink over those wire terminals too.

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/H...osion-002.html

something like this:

Last edited by Xcivicb; 10-22-2012 at 11:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RobOnLI (10-23-2012)
Old 10-23-2012, 09:59 PM
I'm out of HELL!!!!

I cleaned the terminals and clamps using a cleaning solution and the little cleaner "toy" I bought from the store. I also wrapped the exposed wires of the battery cable and my car wouldn't start

After wiggling the end of the cable far to one side the car started just fine. This convinces me even more it's a cable issue.

Question now is - how do I replace the cable? It's actually the positive battery cable. The negative seems to be totally fine. Is this easy to do? There are two cables leading off of the battery terminal on the positive side - one I think goes to the starter and another to the fuse box maybe?

I'm not mechanically inclined so I'm wondering how easy it is to replace this myself or with the help of a friend - also not mechanically inclined.

I've read reports online that this can cost somewhere around $300 at a mechanics shop.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 10-23-2012, 10:10 PM
Learning New Ways!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I cleaned the terminals and clamps using a cleaning solution and the little cleaner "toy" I bought from the store. I also wrapped the exposed wires of the battery cable and my car wouldn't start

After wiggling the end of the cable far to one side the car started just fine. This convinces me even more it's a cable issue.

Question now is - how do I replace the cable? It's actually the positive Is this easy to do? There are two cables leading off of the battery terminal on the positive side - one I think goes to the starter and another to the fuse box maybe?

Thanks,
Rob

That is correct, one goes to the starter and the other one goes to the Fuse box to my knowledge. It should be fairly easy but if you are not comfortable doing don't.

The nut at the starter might be loose or the screw at the Fuse box.

Inspect the cables all the way to the other end.

You need to find the issue then worry about getting it replace.

The cable that connects to the starter should be visible and easy to trace.

Last edited by Xcivicb; 10-23-2012 at 10:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
acura_dipset_tl (12-04-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 03:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts
Make sure the battery is working correctly. A weak battery will still power the electrical problems but not start your car. Have it tested before doing anything to the cables.