03 CL-S Defective Flywheel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 06:51 AM
I GOT V-TEC! yay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 CL-S Defective Flywheel?

sup guys, im not here much mainly because i drive an accord. but i swapped out my auto with the 03 cl-s 6spd. got the car back on friday, and come sunday it wouldnt stay in any gear once the car heated up. so i brought it back to the guys who did the swap and they tore everythin back apart

called me up to swing by and this is laying on the floor

now i can see something like that in a week maybe 5 days with someone who cannot drive a mt. even if your teachin a noobie how to drive. but in 2 days?

has anyone had problems with a brand new oem flywheel?

clutch is fine, pressure plate is fine both look brand new, just the flywheel is shot
Old 08-22-2007, 07:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts

You did do a swap so maybe something was not installed right. I know the manual warns you need the special compressor tool for the PP(to take it off & on) or your will have serious failure.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:02 AM
I GOT V-TEC! yay

the guys who did the swap have done it a few times, and right before they did mine they did a tl, this is the 1st time they saw something like this.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mikerocka
sup guys, im not here much mainly because i drive an accord. but i swapped out my auto with the 03 cl-s 6spd. got the car back on friday, and come sunday it wouldnt stay in any gear once the car heated up. so i brought it back to the guys who did the swap and they tore everythin back apart
Do you mean the gearbox pops out of gear or it doesn't have any drive?

From the picture it looks like either the flywheel got oil or grease on it or the clutch was not engaging all the way-disk binding on the input shaft or similar. I doubt the flywheel was defective.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:55 PM
I GOT V-TEC! yay

Originally Posted by Zippee
Do you mean the gearbox pops out of gear or it doesn't have any drive?

From the picture it looks like either the flywheel got oil or grease on it or the clutch was not engaging all the way-disk binding on the input shaft or similar. I doubt the flywheel was defective.

its hard to explain. u start the car up and it drives perfectly fine, but once it heats up it would feel like its fully in gear. once it would get hot, the car would barely get passed 30mph.. u would see the RPMs climb but the car would barely roll.. it would roll but very slightly, and the more i drove it the worse it got.

i would be on a highway doing 60 (after about 5 min of stuggling to get it up there) in 5th gear and the rpms would be at like 4,000 and if i put any amount of pressure on the gas, it would just rev. i can start an incline at 50 mph, same amount pressure on the gas and it would drop to like 10 mph
Old 08-22-2007, 04:42 PM
4drs just wanna have fun!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im curious as to how the swap was done. Which ECU are you running? How many crank sensors are being used on your setup? Did they clean off the flywheel before hand gotta ask.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

its hard to explain. u start the car up and it drives perfectly fine, but once it heats up it would feel like its fully in gear. once it would get hot, the car would barely get passed 30mph.. u would see the RPMs climb but the car would barely roll.. it would roll but very slightly, and the more i drove it the worse it got.

i would be on a highway doing 60 (after about 5 min of stuggling to get it up there) in 5th gear and the rpms would be at like 4,000 and if i put any amount of pressure on the gas, it would just rev. i can start an incline at 50 mph, same amount pressure on the gas and it would drop to like 10 mph
OK, the clutch is slipping. Was the clutch/flywheel new or did you use the one that came on the engine you installed?

I don't understand is how it could slip enough to mark up the flywheel like it did and not damage the clutch disk.

Cause could be a number of things: my guess is something was not cleaned (oil on the disk/flywheel) or the disk not properly installed (on backwards?). Might also be a pressure plate problem or a release bearing binding on the shaft.

One thing to look at is the routing of the hydraulic line; if the fluid gets hot it can expand and cause the slave cylinder to start to dis-engage the clutch. Did you remove the dampener?

My guess is the guys who did the auto to 6 speed conversion screwed something up.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:09 PM
I GOT V-TEC! yay

OK, the clutch is slipping. Was the clutch/flywheel new or did you use the one that came on the engine you installed?
new flywheel, clutch, pressure plate w/ new tranny.. installed on my current j30a1

Originally Posted by Accord_V6_400m
Im curious as to how the swap was done. Which ECU are you running? How many crank sensors are being used on your setup? Did they clean off the flywheel before hand gotta ask.
its my j30 with a bypass harness for the transmission
Old 08-22-2007, 11:29 PM

new flywheel, clutch, pressure plate w/ new tranny.. installed on my current j30a1

its my j30 with a bypass harness for the transmission
Oh so you're using Richies kit to have the 6spd work on the J30A1. Well considering he hasn't had any problems with his car using the same kit, it must be something else, maybe just the adjustment of the clutch.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:52 AM
Three Wheelin'

If new parts failed that quickly, I'd have to say either there was a bad part or (more likely) the clutch was installed wrong.

If they are trying to charge you for the repair you are getting screwed.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:36 PM
I GOT V-TEC! yay

If new parts failed that quickly, I'd have to say either there was a bad part or (more likely) the clutch was installed wrong.

If they are trying to charge you for the repair you are getting screwed.

na im not being charged, just new parts since i supplied parts.. nothin on labor.

yes its richie's harness, i throw a p1607 which is malfunction in pcm internal circuit, which has nothing to do with his harnesss. i didnt have it b4 the swap, but his harness bypass' tranny codes which all start with p17

his harness is what has my car running right now.. reverse lights working, speedo working, odometer registering etc. i get car back tomorrow with a nice upgrade. details to come
Old 08-23-2007, 05:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

na im not being charged, just new parts since i supplied parts.. nothin on labor.

Was this a "real" shop who did the conversion or a couple of jack-legs working in their spare time?

If the parts were defective, the vendor should make them good. If they were installed wrong (my guess) then the shop should eat the both the labor and the parts they screwed up.

You shouldn't have to pay a dime.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:18 PM

Was this a "real" shop who did the conversion or a couple of jack-legs working in their spare time?

If the parts were defective, the vendor should make them good. If they were installed wrong (my guess) then the shop should eat the both the labor and the parts they screwed up.

You shouldn't have to pay a dime.
Agreed
Old 08-24-2007, 05:37 AM
I GOT V-TEC! yay

parts werent installed wrong

1) its a couple "jack-legs" or whatever the fuck that means, who have their own shop. when you got 3 guys who are mercedes, infiniti, and bmw techs, with honda/acuras line up out ther door i think they know what they are doing. they are good guys who know there shit. a "real" shop would never touch my car considering its a swap that they cant garentee will work. i had 2 options. 1) drive to chicago and let richie doe it, which is 13 hrs away or let these guys do it who have done the swap plenty of times b4

2) flywheel goes to a machine shop today to see what was wrong with it. if it was bad, or just error.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
parts werent installed wrong

1) its a couple "jack-legs" or whatever the fuck that means, who have their own shop. when you got 3 guys who are mercedes, infiniti, and bmw techs, with honda/acuras line up out ther door i think they know what they are doing. they are good guys who know there shit. a "real" shop would never touch my car considering its a swap that they cant garentee will work. i had 2 options. 1) drive to chicago and let richie doe it, which is 13 hrs away or let these guys do it who have done the swap plenty of times b4

2) flywheel goes to a machine shop today to see what was wrong with it. if it was bad, or just error.
If you want a lightweight comptech flywheel, look no further, here is a good used one that you would like.

https://acurazine.com/forums/car-parts-sale-361/sold-fs-comptech-lightweight-aluminum-flywheel-cls-6-spd-371349/
Old 08-24-2007, 11:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Are they replacing just the fly wheeel or the entire clutch assembly? Were these new out-of the-box parts?
Old 08-24-2007, 01:34 PM
I GOT V-TEC! yay

Are they replacing just the fly wheeel or the entire clutch assembly? Were these new out-of the-box parts?

i bought a cm kit thats not even abailible yet.. stage 3 pressure plate clutch and flywheel $1600. these guys had it to test, but the car they gona use to test it isnt gona be ready for another month or so..

yes they were out of the box new
Old 08-27-2007, 05:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

WHat do you hear from the shop?
Old 08-28-2007, 06:43 PM
I GOT V-TEC! yay

got the car back friday, 250 miles on the new flywheel/clutch/pressure plate everythin still strong