03 CL-s 6spd random misfire ecu problem& tach reads 900rpm key on engine off. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 10:40 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 CL-s 6spd random misfire ecu problem& tach reads 900rpm key on engine off. Help!

I have had this issue for About 2years it's a 2003 3.2 Cl type-s 6 speed with NAVIGATION I got REAR ended bad been saving to fix car and now is the time (will post pics will need help for parts) the issue is a random misfire and it's very low on power I had a few 3.2 TL AN CL I know how they run when their right. When i have key in engine not running the dash
tachometer reads 1000rpm and at idle it's at 1800rpm but the engine is running at 850 normal rpm for idle when you rev engine tach moves and vtec is at 4000 When it worke instead 5I I believe on type sworke on and off I've cleaned the egr, all new COIL PACKS timing BELT water pump ALL timing is right ALL I haven't done is valve adjustment When that could be part of problem. I figure it's the ecu or previous owner put a automatic crank sensor because they are b$500 cheaper please help!! Has 1-6. Misfire codes multi misfire/random missfire. I never had any crank sensor codes or tach codes. Gets about 15mpg avg should be in 20s thanks
Old 05-31-2016, 10:41 PM
7th Gear

Anyone with any type of issue help thanks

Please help on going issue
Old 05-31-2016, 10:58 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
Ok, so has the rear end damage been repaired and you still have lingering electrical issues?

The navigation unit is in the trunk, now it's on top under the rear dash, slightly to the left, now this may be unrelated amd you have another problem...

(Older Vehicles Tend To Have The Nav Disc Assembally Placed In The Trunk)

You may have a wording harness that may have been cut into by bent metal from the accident thus causing the ECU to short and making your electrical system go crazy...

I'm speculating here...

I'm not really positive though...

Your CL 6 Speed sounds like a really nice car I do hope the best for you and the repair process...
Old 06-01-2016, 05:56 AM
7th Gear

Thanks midnight but no had the misfire before the rear end accident the navigation works fine.. The biggest issue is as soon I turn key on engine not running the dash reads 900-1000rpm then when I start it says 1800 but car is at idle j am workin on fixing the rear end accident I love the car so it's worth putting money into it I just want to figure out why it's misfire and rpm are off I heard possibly at one time someone may have put a automatic CKP sensor thanks for the help tho and yes the Navi cd is in the trunk which is also ok but like I said this is all pre accident related tried seafoam an it just made it worse until completely cleared out and still made it miss worse never again using that stuff again.. If you unplug coils not much a difference but it is sparking on all 6 an I know the timing belt timing is correct

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
Ok, so has the rear end damage been repaired and you still have lingering electrical issues?

The navigation unit is in the trunk, now it's on top under the rear dash, slightly to the left, now this may be unrelated amd you have another problem...

(Older Vehicles Tend To Have The Nav Disc Assembally Placed In The Trunk)

You may have a wording harness that may have been cut into by bent metal from the accident thus causing the ECU to short and making your electrical system go crazy...

I'm speculating here...

I'm not really positive though...

Your CL 6 Speed sounds like a really nice car I do hope the best for you and the repair process...
Old 06-01-2016, 07:29 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 898 Likes on 788 Posts
This is probably something small... Hopefully...

Try not to overthink it...

I had a vehicle not start before, and relays to click strangely... Blown fuse in engine bay... Almost thought I fried the ECU...

I've seen other things too, but not as personal as that occourance...

Ok, let me get on topic...

I have very little knowledge in this but I may have an idea where to look...

A sensor like you said...

Could the sensor that measures engine speed be malfunctioning... Sending incorrect info to the ECU causing the bad idle...

I'm not sure what the ATP sensor is, is that ATP, please correct me I'm in wrong, I don't remember...

It may just be a bad ECU, or a ground issue...

Have you asked a technition...

Ask EricTheCarGuy or ChrisFix...

Eric was an Acura tech and worked on hundreds of CLs and TLs just like yours...

This is possibly simple, but tricky...

I don't want to mislead you but I want to help...

You can join his website, or ask him on Google Plus or Facebook under public posts...

Best of luck...
Old 06-05-2016, 11:32 AM
7th Gear

Thanks for help

Midnight an anyone else who posted thank you for all your help I figured out the problem 1. with the tachometer, the dash was bad, the misfire in the engine I still haven't completely dug into it yet but cylinder four has zero compression and cylinder five has only 130 psi the rest range from 190-220. The rear head cylinder 1,2,3 seem ok I am going to do the valve adjustment and check compression again this week i'm going to pull the head off and see what's going on possibly rebuild the engine or replace it, thank you all for your help.. I'm pretty sure that I have a burnt valve because when I pulled the upper intake off the ports for cyl# 4,5,6 of the intake manifold was all black from either exhaust gas or Un burnt fuel going back up the intake. # 4&5 are the worst. And the rear bank cylinder 123 are a little dirty but very clean 2" up from intake valves I will let you know how I make out when I pull off the front cylinder head
Old 02-22-2017, 02:53 PM
7th Gear

CLs6 is fixed

Car is running and driving great fixed body and did all body work, j32a motor swap 139k miles got cheap,new clutch,suspension work,brakes, wheel bearings, tires.

Just need to find a 6spd cluster cheap my tach doesn't work,have a A/T cluster for now but fuel gauge don't work on the auto cluster everything else works.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,583 Likes on 6,630 Posts