wheels, wheels and more wheels...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 05:45 AM
CL-S noob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheels, wheels and more wheels...

Hi all,

Seeing that this is my first message to the forum, a bit of an intro is in order.

Just ordered my new baby. A 2003 CL 3.2 Type S w/ 6spd trans and navi is on her way to me. I know a lot of people have it too, but I went for the satin silver metallic paint which gave me the ebony interior w/ aluminum accents. I think the colour scheme looks great, and I was just happy to find a new 2003 left with the 6spd trans and navi. Even if they are stock, I'll post some pics as soon as I can.

I know you'll all probably give me a lot of flack for what I'm about to say, but I don't think I'd like to upgrade the suspension. My reasoning is that I got a great deal on the CL-S and can't really justify spending the extra in upgrades instead of just buying a BMW or Audi in the first place.

Anyway, with that said, I'm looking for a wheel upgrade this summer.

So, getting to the reason this is in the gallery, here's your chance to present the best wheel choice for our beloved CL's. The best I've seen so far is the Axis Se7en Mod, but have only seen it in 19" and I'm leaning toward 18's, just out of the pothole-bends fear. Since wheel's like this have such a pronounced lip and dish, I always think that they look a size or two smaller than they are, when they're not turning, that is, so I don't know if it'll look small in 18". I like the seven, nine, or eleven spoke designs, but once it starts to be too many, that it just looks way to DTM for this car. Chrome isn't really my thing either...I'm blingin' enough just on my own!

Pictures and opinions are welcome, and keep up the great site!
Old 07-22-2003, 07:18 AM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a word of advice............

Most aftermarket rims DON'T look good on our cars with out a drop. If you go for 18" or 19" you will create even more of a 4X4 look
Old 07-22-2003, 09:10 AM
CL-S noob

Originally posted by spdy0001
Just a word of advice............

Most aftermarket rims DON'T look good on our cars with out a drop. If you go for 18" or 19" you will create even more of a 4X4 look
I noticed that too... should be good for picking up the soccer moms!

In order limit the soft-roader look, I'd be open minded to around a 1-1.5" drop with either the Eibach kit or the H&R springs. Being one for quality, I'd look into some dampers at the same time and have had good experience with Tokico.

Still a greenhorn with much to learn about our CL, but no new comer to tuning cars. Had a tuned civic, until I bought a real car with a 325i, but both had extensive mods (sorry, no pics of either).

So, let's see some wheels! If somebody sends even a pic of the rim itself, or even a link to an old thread in the forum, it's much appreciated!
Old 07-22-2003, 01:38 PM
A-CL Master

Congrats on the car man. If you really want a pimped out ride go with Lowenhart BR5s or Bersaglio Spoke II or Traficstar DTMs. They are all the same thing pretty much. They are expensive though I will warn you. Then Go with the Eibach drop springs. That will look hot on any color. My car is silver and I got a 20% Black tint on it. It looks hot. Look for the Lowenharts here:
http://www.wheelspecs.com/specs/wheelmodels/608
Old 07-22-2003, 02:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've always liked the SSR GT1s

Old 08-01-2003, 02:28 PM
Instructor

TrafficStar Traffic DTS

http://www.wheelspecs.com/specs/wheelmodels/625

best looking wheels on the market in my opinion. remind me of the mercedes AMG wheels...a lot of chrome though, depends on how flashy you want to get.
Old 08-01-2003, 07:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
They have Acuras in Germany?
Old 08-01-2003, 09:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by mpgn04
TrafficStar Traffic DTS

http://www.wheelspecs.com/specs/wheelmodels/625

best looking wheels on the market in my opinion. remind me of the mercedes AMG wheels...a lot of chrome though, depends on how flashy you want to get.

Old 08-02-2003, 08:55 AM
Rod
Drifting

If you're only looking to lower the car about 1.5" go with Comptech springs; the Eibach Pro-Kit and the H&R sports go a little lower than that, especially up front (about 2"). But definitely lower the car if you're going with aftermarket wheels. Check the pics in my sig to see 19s with a Comptech drop, they're chrome but at least you'll get an idea of how the setup looks. For 19s, I think the Comptech drop is too conservative, but I've seen some CLs out here with 18s and a Comptech drop and they look great. Do a search and I'm sure you'll find lots of pics of CLs with 18s and a Comptech drop. You should also be able to find nothing but positive comments about Comptech springs. The only negative thing some people mention about Comptech springs is that they give a conservative drop, but that's exactly what you're looking for.
Old 08-02-2003, 02:46 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by NSXNEXT
I thought the CL was a USDM thing. No European or Japanese counterparts.
Old 08-03-2003, 03:54 AM
CL-S noob

Originally posted by NSXNEXT
No, you're right, no Acuras in Germany. Everything is marketed under the Honda brand, but I think the only direct transplant is the TSX <> Euro accord.

I'm moving Stateside and the Acura seemed like a fantastic value.

Still on the mod hunt, but I'll keep you posted. Here's what I've decided so far:

Koni or Tokico shocks (non-adjustable, just don't need to fiddle with the settings, or do I...advice?)
Comptech springs
Powerstop rotors
18" SSR GT1's or 19" Axis Hagens
HKS Super Drager exhaust
and misc interior details...

anything I've forgotten?
Old 08-03-2003, 03:57 AM
CL-S noob

...probably do an M5 spoiler too. Man that looks good.
Old 08-03-2003, 06:19 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally posted by jamesbond
Still on the mod hunt, but I'll keep you posted. Here's what I've decided so far:

Koni or Tokico shocks (non-adjustable, just don't need to fiddle with the settings, or do I...advice?)
Comptech springs
Powerstop rotors
18" SSR GT1's or 19" Axis Hagens
HKS Super Drager exhaust
and misc interior details...

anything I've forgotten?
I just put on the Konis with Comptech springs. It's an awesome setup. The Konis are a bit stiff over small bumps but they definitly keep the car planted. May want to go with something softer on the shocks. I kind of wonder what the Bilstein sports would have been like. Oh well I like the Konis. I would check out the stock exhaust before you change it. It has an awesome sound and looks nice too. Also not very restrictive once you get past the headers.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:12 AM
Instructor

How about this Bond...James Bond?

I think this is well fit into your budget. Konig Holes wheels, it only cost $900 for a set of 18". Look great on your satin silver metalic color and w/ a drop.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by V6POWER
How about this Bond...James Bond?