NEW PICs!!!....CT drop vs. TEIN drop

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2002, 05:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEW PICs!!!....CT drop vs. TEIN drop

Hey guys, for all of u who are wondering what the difference between a CT drop and tein ss drop, here are some pictures....sorry, not a lot of CT pictures, but ull see the point.

PLEASE BE PATIENT, i believe they are large files...

CLick the link to view...TEIN VS. COMPTECH
Old 12-21-2002, 05:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
looks nice

maybe bring the back up a 1/4".

how does it ride is the question?
Old 12-21-2002, 05:50 PM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tein's Kick ass. I wish I had $850 right now.
Old 12-21-2002, 07:30 PM
///M POWER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice bimmer
Old 12-21-2002, 08:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
that first comptech pic looks alot lower than mine, you got a system or something
Old 12-22-2002, 03:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by rondog
that first comptech pic looks alot lower than mine, you got a system or something
No system...and nothing in the trunk or back seat....b ut for some reason, i thought my CTs look lower than other members...
Old 12-22-2002, 03:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by mattg
looks nice

maybe bring the back up a 1/4".

how does it ride is the question?
Well, i may bring the back up a bit when the 19s come in 2 weeks...but it looks pretty even all the way around actually...But as far as the ride goes, i thought it would be bumpier than CTs, but the nice shocks they come with makes the car ride like a dream....a lot more smoother than CT and almost closer to stock.,...U kno how pple say that CT feels like stock, right? Well, these teins and the mid setting on the damper feels soo much better than CT....
Old 12-22-2002, 11:10 AM
What, me drive fast?

Maybe the splash gaurds give it the appearance of being lower than normal?
Old 12-22-2002, 11:46 AM
TKO
Instructor

Damn that drop with the Teins looks sweet!
Old 12-22-2002, 12:53 PM
Burning Brakes

thanks
Old 12-22-2002, 12:59 PM
Intermediate

Where can you get "Teins" for $850?
Old 12-22-2002, 01:01 PM
Burning Brakes

PM blxmjx
Old 12-23-2002, 07:13 AM
Under the radar

How long do the suspension parts last on a Tein setup vs Comptech vs Stock?
Old 12-23-2002, 08:32 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by CLSter
good question!
Old 12-23-2002, 09:48 AM
Revving at 9K...

mr. big,

Nice buy! Welcome to the Tein Club..

I knew you were going to love them. I hope you got the right offset on your 19's. After a few weeks when the springs starts to settle you can start playing with the damper settings, I recommend one click or two stiffer for the front, and have the rear be another one click or two stiffer than the front. After doing this on my car, it still rides great! But it handles a whole lot better compare to have them set at the medium setting for front and rear. JMO.
Old 12-23-2002, 11:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by CLS2001_97124
mr. big,

Nice buy! Welcome to the Tein Club..

I knew you were going to love them. I hope you got the right offset on your 19's. After a few weeks when the springs starts to settle you can start playing with the damper settings, I recommend one click or two stiffer for the front, and have the rear be another one click or two stiffer than the front. After doing this on my car, it still rides great! But it handles a whole lot better compare to have them set at the medium setting for front and rear. JMO.
Well thanks!
The offset for the 19s is 45+ (19x8)....u think thats ok? should i get cambers and roll the fenders in the rear?....Also, I think its a pain to adjust the back, so u think itll be fine if i leave it at 8 in the rear and just set the front?

BTW, which way is which? I mean, clockwise is softer and counterclockwise is stiffer, right? Say

Say if i have the setting at 8 clicks ok, and i turn it left 8 clicks, will the damper allow me to click it past 8? or will it just stop at 8 clicks? I havent played with it yet and im afraid ill over turn the thing, will it let u go past? is my question...
Old 12-23-2002, 11:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by CLSter
U kno what? im not even sure...but using teins is essentially replacing the entire stock suspension...it should last fine, but i think other people should know better than me, since i just got them...also, when u use CT springs and stock shocks, it will wear out ur OEM shocks faster since they are not equipped to handle the stiffer spring, although some say they are OK....My CT on stock shocks gave me a real bumpy ride, but with teins, everything was a lot smoother...it felt almost like my 330...execpt for the cornering and RWD...
Old 12-26-2002, 09:17 PM
Got BOOST????

Originally posted by mr. big
U kno what? im not even sure...but using teins is essentially replacing the entire stock suspension...it should last fine, but i think other people should know better than me, since i just got them...also, when u use CT springs and stock shocks, it will wear out ur OEM shocks faster since they are not equipped to handle the stiffer spring, although some say they are OK....My CT on stock shocks gave me a real bumpy ride, but with teins, everything was a lot smoother...it felt almost like my 330...execpt for the cornering and RWD...
did you do sways and a strut bar????
Old 12-26-2002, 10:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by bnavarro
did you do sways and a strut bar????
actually, i dint but i am considering them...because i have heard that people say sometimes there is a sqeaking sound with sways due to the bushings rubbing or somthing like that...do u have them? do u kno id they is a considerable difference with them on??? Is there a significant improvement in handling and ride quality??
Old 12-26-2002, 11:02 PM
Burning Brakes

are there noises?
Old 12-27-2002, 02:35 PM
Under the radar

Squeaks and creaks with aftermarket suspension parts (the C-tech anti-sway bars) is due to the urethane bushings. It's stiffer and more durable than OEM rubber BUT you need to use waterproof grease or teflon tape where the urethane meets the metal.
Old 12-27-2002, 02:37 PM
Burning Brakes

hows the handling?
Old 12-27-2002, 05:53 PM
suspension dude

sways definitely stiffen up the car.

you are in la... come by and drive my car...

btw I'm selling stuff off it...

-J
Old 12-27-2002, 07:33 PM
Got BOOST????

actually, i dint but i am considering them...because i have heard that people say sometimes there is a sqeaking sound with sways due to the bushings rubbing or somthing like that...do u have them? do u kno id they is a considerable difference with them on??? Is there a significant improvement in handling and ride quality??
IS THERE A DIFFERENCE??? Hell yea. Let's put it this way. I was blowing away my friends 330 ic coupe on a turn with stock tires and rims. The complete set up made a BIG difference. Any one else agree with me?
Old 12-28-2002, 10:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by bnavarro
IS THERE A DIFFERENCE??? Hell yea. Let's put it this way. I was blowing away my friends 330 ic coupe on a turn with stock tires and rims. The complete set up made a BIG difference. Any one else agree with me?
really? so what were the components that i need to make it handle better, it is just CT sways? what else? Cuz i think the car already comes with strutbars..
Old 12-28-2002, 10:19 PM
Burning Brakes

what kinda setup all together made u car handle like that...to be able to blow away a 330ci?
Old 12-28-2002, 10:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by bobowah
sways definitely stiffen up the car.

you are in la... come by and drive my car...

btw I'm selling stuff off it...

-J
so ud really let me come over for a drive?...details please!
Old 01-01-2003, 12:52 PM
Instructor

that thing looks good is it a 6 speed?
Old 01-01-2003, 03:06 PM
Got BOOST????

what kinda setup all together made u car handle like that...to be able to blow away a 330ci?
Hmmm, Let's see. Tein coilovers. Camber kits. Comptech Sways. Eibach strut bar. I was even using STOCK rubber. What shit tires. I need new tires at 14000 miles.
Old 01-01-2003, 03:09 PM
Got BOOST????

Spanked a IS 300 on the turn at the same time. My friend with the BMW was so convined with my coilovers, he went out a month later and bought them too!
Old 01-14-2003, 01:31 AM
Burning Brakes

does anyone know how easy it is to adjust the height with teins?
do i need a two ton jack? or is the one supplied with the vehicle sufficient?
Old 01-14-2003, 10:58 AM
Revving at 9K...

Well thanks!
The offset for the 19s is 45+ (19x8)....u think thats ok? should i get cambers and roll the fenders in the rear?....Also, I think its a pain to adjust the back, so u think itll be fine if i leave it at 8 in the rear and just set the front?

BTW, which way is which? I mean, clockwise is softer and counterclockwise is stiffer, right? Say

Say if i have the setting at 8 clicks ok, and i turn it left 8 clicks, will the damper allow me to click it past 8? or will it just stop at 8 clicks? I havent played with it yet and im afraid ill over turn the thing, will it let u go past? is my question...
45+ offset should be fine (I rub because I think I have 42+ with 8.5 width). As far as for clicks for damper control. what I did was I turn it all the way clockwise (Hardest) and I turn it counterclockwise to make it softer. I have mine set at 6 clicks back and 7 clicks front. I like it a little stiffer.. plus it helped a lot from the rear wheel rubbing..

As far as adjusting the height.. I recommend using a real jack if you have one.. and it's very easy to adjust the height, take off your wheel and use the tools you got with the kit to loosen the caps, after that all you do is spine the coils up or down as you please.
Old 01-14-2003, 01:36 PM
Burning Brakes

45+ offset should be fine (I rub because I think I have 42+ with 8.5 width). As far as for clicks for damper control. what I did was I turn it all the way clockwise (Hardest) and I turn it counterclockwise to make it softer. I have mine set at 6 clicks back and 7 clicks front. I like it a little stiffer.. plus it helped a lot from the rear wheel rubbing..

As far as adjusting the height.. I recommend using a real jack if you have one.. and it's very easy to adjust the height, take off your wheel and use the tools you got with the kit to loosen the caps, after that all you do is spine the coils up or down as you please.
I have a question about the damper setting.

When u turn it clockwise to the hardest setting, will the key eventually stop turning? Or will it keep turning?...Becasue when i turn it clockwise, the thing eventually becomes hard to turn and will not go clockwise anymore...I dont wanna force it cuz the manual said it would damage the shocks...BUT, when i turn it counterclockwise, the key keeps turning, and gets looser and looser....Is it suppossed to be like that? When turning counterclockwise, i counted like 18 clicks or so....Is there a stopping point so u kno when you are at the hardest setting?

Your help would be appreciated....thx
Old 01-14-2003, 02:27 PM
Revving at 9K...

Yes, as you turn it clockwise, you are in terms tighening the valves, there for it makes it stiffer (don't try to force it once you hit your last click), and when you turn it counterclockwise you are loosening the valve which will make the shocks softer.. Therefore, yes you can probably turn it counterclockwise more than 16 clicks, but Tein do not recommend it. It'll make your car feel like it's floating on water and you'll also hit your bump stop like crazy if you go over small bump on the road..

That's why it's a good idea to stiffen up the damper when you lower the car, so it'll equalize the shortening of the distance the shock can travel between the cars natural setting position and the bump stop.
Old 01-14-2003, 05:02 PM
Pro

I must admit...every car I have seen dropped, looks sick.

I wasn't into lowering and putting bigger rims on my car until I joined this site.

The drop makes the CL-S look like a different animal.

I will be getting some 18's put on my tomorrow and when I get some more dinero, I plan to slam it as low as I can.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by diori
I must admit...every car I have seen dropped, looks sick.

I wasn't into lowering and putting bigger rims on my car until I joined this site.

The drop makes the CL-S look like a different animal.

I will be getting some 18's put on my tomorrow and when I get some more dinero, I plan to slam it as low as I can.
yea bro, go for it...and drop it with TEINS....and post pics after u get ur wheels
Old 01-14-2003, 08:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Yes, as you turn it clockwise, you are in terms tighening the valves, there for it makes it stiffer (don't try to force it once you hit your last click), and when you turn it counterclockwise you are loosening the valve which will make the shocks softer.. Therefore, yes you can probably turn it counterclockwise more than 16 clicks, but Tein do not recommend it. It'll make your car feel like it's floating on water and you'll also hit your bump stop like crazy if you go over small bump on the road..

That's why it's a good idea to stiffen up the damper when you lower the car, so it'll equalize the shortening of the distance the shock can travel between the cars natural setting position and the bump stop.
From the hardest setting, my car is set at around 3 clicks counterclockwise for the front...and im not sure about the back since i dint install...but i was wondering, at 3 clicks, will that damage my damper since it is pretty stiff??? is that bad for everyday driving? I mean, my main concern is that the dampers dont wear out so fast...and i dont kno if hard settings will affect that...i dont mind the ride tho...

thx
Old 01-14-2003, 09:43 PM
Revving at 9K...

Wow, 3 clicks?? That is pretty stiff.. I think it should be okay a 3 because it's within the range that is suggested by Tien's instruction sheets. They just don't recommend people going out side of those range. However, if you have not mess with the rear yet, I can only assume it's still set at 8 clicks, because that is what the manual suggest the installer to set it at. I'm wondering with your front much stiffer than rear, do you notice your rear breaking loose when you take a sharp corner at a high speed? Because you probably have much more traction at the front of the car now compare to rear.
Old 01-14-2003, 10:36 PM
Burning Brakes

hmmm, i never noticed that...I dont even know what the rear was set at since the fronts were not even at 8 clicks when installed...i cant even feel the difference between front breaking and rear breaking...lol.....i just feel the car slow down when i push the breaks...i guess u are more sensitive to the feel of the car..
Old 01-15-2003, 09:40 AM
Revving at 9K...

Actually, I'm not talking about the car "breaking", I'm refering to Oversteering and Understeering. I got this from an Website:

"Oversteer is when the rear wheels are carving a larger arc than the front wheels or the intended line of the turn. "

"Understeer is when the front wheels are carving a larger arc than the rear wheels. "

Do you notice either one of these descriptions?

Quick Reply: NEW PICs!!!....CT drop vs. TEIN drop