I officially demote myself to "ricer"

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2005 | 03:15 PM
failhard.

I officially demote myself to "ricer"

So yeah ... A few days ago, I'm in the blind spot of a dump truck on his right side. Debris starts flying out and smacks my bumper, grill, headlights, hood, what have you. I go home and see the mesh all brutalized. But instead of repainting it, I decide to rip it apart and see if I can't make it more flush with the car, since the glue made the grill stick out from the hood.

I get to drilling holes and forcing screws in, so the painted part of the grill is actually touching the support this time. Everything went ok, until my impatience made me not predrill a hole. I just screwed a screw through the grill, then heard a loud snap. Crap. Glued together, it worked for a bit, but it was painfully obvious. Then Bondo'd and sanded carefully. I was ready to paint, but my sprayer for my limited amount of PDG paint wouldn't work. So I thought I'd leave it primered for a while until I get the money to paint it. Put it on the car, and I became even more infuriated. Everything looks unbalanced, and the right part of the grill slides right past the start of the hood. Looks like I'll be ordering a new grill and trying again, I'm definitely doing it all correctly this time.

Lord help me when I do my headlights.
Old 09-17-2005 | 10:10 AM
Banned

whats next? primered kit?

hehe, good luck getting it fixed.
Old 09-17-2005 | 12:02 PM
I'm here in spirit...

If you're gonna buy a grill why not just get the Ron Jon grill and call it a day?
Old 09-17-2005 | 02:21 PM
failhard.

Ehh...This'll sound funny, but I like the pride of doing my own work. I like being able to say "Oh, I did that myself" instead of "Oh, I bought that off someone." No offense to Ronjon of course.
Old 09-20-2005 | 04:22 PM
B A N N E D

pride ahh yes. I would deffently take the time and do things slow and correct. Grill's are very very tricky if you arent prepared. Your grill looks like it can be salvaged with a little TLC. I would highly recommend you use epoxy-like filler. It wont crack like bondo and has a higher tolerance to heat and wheather. It has the same great use but none of the bondo downsides. I used it on my grill when bondo started to crack ( spent 2 weeks on my grill with some epox and it worked awsome ) just be sure to sand and smooth it to the point were it blends in perfectly then clean the surface with a non abrasive cleaner and paint away. car looks great man props