Fresh paint job!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 09:30 PM
'01 SSM w/Blue Pearl CL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fresh paint job!

just got my car painted today. took my car to the shop last night and disassembled everything: lights, bumpers, trim, mirrors...

pics of the prepping process are on my phone, ill post those later. here are some for now.

this is some work my uncles do.

right after the baking process

small photo shoot. forgive us for we are not professional photographers. yes, i know i need a drop, tint, and maybe new wheels. dallas_cls needs a drop as well (we ride high in texas! ). ill be ordering an M5 spoiler tonight and will paint it to match as well.

one thing you cant see in the pics very well is the blue pearl. it looks ssm in broad day light, but at night you can really see it with the street lights hitting it at different angles.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:58 PM
None

drooling from that z06

nice car also. like u said, time for a drop.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:00 AM
Don't Mess With Texas

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
we dont all ride high in texas.

hope to see your new paint at the texas sized meet in austin next weekend.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:04 AM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
you painted your whole car in a day? does it look good? sounds kinda rushed
Old 03-23-2008, 12:34 AM
Advanced

dude what do you think it takes a whole week to paint a car? depending on what is being fixed you can usually do it in a 8hour day easy.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:38 AM
Don't Mess With Texas

btw, the new paint looks pretty fresh. try taking some pics in a parking garage under some nice white flourecent lights. it will make the pearl show a lot more. remember to use a tripod and no flash.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Silvaccordex01
you painted your whole car in a day? does it look good? sounds kinda rushed
i sanded the entire car last saturday by myself at the shop i work at (spent 7 hours), fixed all the dents and filled in the holes where the spoiler was. friday night, i took my car to my uncles' shop (4 of them, all painters. 3 cousins preppers. family run dealership bodyshop. it was voted #1 in the nation for almost ten years and #1 in texas for god knows how long.) and disassembled everything and left it over night. this morning (technically last morning) we cleaned it up and taped it. had 2 of my uncles spray it at the same time while another sprayed the bumpers and mirrors in a separate paint booth.

rushed? NO. organized? YES. Professional? YES. does it look good? YES.

the car was baked, which helps with the drying process.
i found only 1 run on the entire car which was REALLY small. i will get that out and there was hardly any orange peel. all i have to do is eliminate the small specs which there are of few on some panels. i am a buffer at the bodyshop i work at and the way it came out is almost flawless compared to how the guys paint at the shop i work at. my uncles have been in this business for 30 years now.

also, why would you ask "does it look good?", do you not see pictures? keep in mind, the car is in pre-buff stage.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:14 AM
Don't Mess With Texas

no need to get upset buddy, i questioned whether it looked good myself. your unfocused blurry pictures dont really do your new paintjob any justice. im sure it looks good in person judging by your families skill in the business. just remember he is making his judgements by your pictures you posted.

are you coming to the meet this saturday?
Old 03-23-2008, 05:25 PM
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Cky_Cl
i sanded the entire car last saturday by myself at the shop i work at (spent 7 hours), fixed all the dents and filled in the holes where the spoiler was. friday night, i took my car to my uncles' shop (4 of them, all painters. 3 cousins preppers. family run dealership bodyshop. it was voted #1 in the nation for almost ten years and #1 in texas for god knows how long.) and disassembled everything and left it over night. this morning (technically last morning) we cleaned it up and taped it. had 2 of my uncles spray it at the same time while another sprayed the bumpers and mirrors in a separate paint booth.

rushed? NO. organized? YES. Professional? YES. does it look good? YES.

the car was baked, which helps with the drying process.
i found only 1 run on the entire car which was REALLY small. i will get that out and there was hardly any orange peel. all i have to do is eliminate the small specs which there are of few on some panels. i am a buffer at the bodyshop i work at and the way it came out is almost flawless compared to how the guys paint at the shop i work at. my uncles have been in this business for 30 years now.

also, why would you ask "does it look good?", do you not see pictures? keep in mind, the car is in pre-buff stage.
Type Slow said it perfectly. Pictures arent very clear, and i wasnt trying to be critical. It just suprised me it only took a day. My car was just at the body shop getting a scratch fixed and all they painted was the door and quarter and it took almost 2 full weeks to get my car back. Im sure it looks a lot better in person than unfocused blurry pix. Plus you cant see the blue pearl in the pix which im sure looks nice
Old 03-23-2008, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Silvaccordex01
Type Slow said it perfectly. Pictures arent very clear, and i wasnt trying to be critical. It just suprised me it only took a day. My car was just at the body shop getting a scratch fixed and all they painted was the door and quarter and it took almost 2 full weeks to get my car back. Im sure it looks a lot better in person than unfocused blurry pix. Plus you cant see the blue pearl in the pix which im sure looks nice
true. going through a shop takes long even small jobs, especially when there is high demand. but when you do it personally it can take one day from the sanding to the painting when done with several people. ive seen several vehicals at my shop for well over a month when we had high demand. ill try to take pictures under flourescent lights next time.

i dont think ill be making it to austin next week end, would love to though.