CL-S has more balls than I do? (long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 10:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy CL-S has more balls than I do? (long)

I don't know if it's because I've been driving a turbodiesel piece of shit VW Golf for 2 years prior to the CL-S. Or because I had a rough accident with my Z28 2 years ago.

But I find myself scared to push this car. I mean I feel bad and guilty of letting her rip to 7K rpm. I feel bad about shifting 2nd semi-hard and hearing the tires go nuts. I also feel bad about finding out that I can also get the tires to chirp shifting 3rd. And my car is bone stock.

I don't know why... but I keep thinking that this is not a car that I should drive like this. I've had a 2000 Civic, a modded 88 CRX Si (171whp Mustang dyno - all motor) and a 98 Z28... and drove the snot out of each and one of them as if they were freshly stolen a few minutes before. I don't know how many people have powershifted their cars at the viciousness and frequency that I used to do it. Also, I must have at least a few hundred 1/4 mile passes under my belt with the Civic/CRX/Z28. Yet for some reason with the CL-S, I always start feeling guilty about pushing it hard - and the way I drive it is nothing compared to how I drove my other cars.

Maybe it's because it's very new (19K miles). Maybe it's because of little things that I am noticing - such as engine shutdown vibrations and various rattles developping. Maybe it's because my shift knob has become loose and can be turned left/right easily (makes me wonder, "am I really shifting that hard?") Or maybe because I've been driving a 75hp turbodiesel for the past 2 years and my driving habits have essentially become < 3K rpm, and barely ever exeeding the speed limit.

I guess what I'm most afraid of is stuff breaking down on the car. I can't help but think that this car should be babied, yet at the same time I think I'm aging too fast (mentally). My friend has a 95 GSR that he babies as if it cost him a million bucks because he thinks the car is too nice. I never understood him, yet now I find myself thinking exactly like him.

Is there a cure to this? Do some of you feel the same way? Can these cars (relatively stock) handle the abuse of say... 3k rpm clutch drops, revs to 7K rpm, semi-hard shifts, and 10 monthly passes @ the strip? I know Honda makes very reliable drivetrains - I just don't know why I'm scared of using this car's potential. I'm supposed to go the strip this weekend to run the car stock (I want to add an Icebox and run it after that to see the diff - now I'm thinking of not doing any of that).

Enough written diahrreah... who feels like me, or has some advice to snap me back into the 22yr old mindset that I should have?

Old 05-10-2005, 10:16 PM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
Unhappy

i might not say the have reliable drivetrains.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:20 PM
Adventurist.

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by o2cls
i might not say the have reliable drivetrains.
The 6 speed is MUCH MUCH MUCH more reliable than the auto. It's actually bulletproof
Old 05-10-2005, 10:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, somehow I managed to post this both in Photograph Gallery as well as in the main section. It really must be way past my bedtime. :p

Mods, please delete this thread and keep the one in the general section open!