Zeal vs Teins

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2002, 11:34 PM
TRELOS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zeal vs Teins

I went to autocarpart.com and saw the price for the ZEALs WTF is so special about these (ZEAL B-6) that makes em cost soooooo damm much. I mean the Tiens are 16 way adjustable, so I would assume the Tiens would be the better, but the ZEALs are way more expensive.

Juker008
Old 09-29-2002, 12:43 AM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tein SS are Tein's entry-level coilovers.

Zeal B-6 are a step up, IIRC.

If you actually research coilovers you will see that more race-oriented sets average around $2000 in price, often a little more.

Tein only offers the SS for our car. I'm running them right now and the ride quality is excellent so far, but I've only been running them about three days now.

I had the Nex SS previously and those were much stiffer.

It's a trade-off - the stiffer ones won't bottom as much, but the softer ride of the Teins is a nice change.

Tein also offers different rate springs you can switch onto their SS coilovers, because the stock SS springs are on the soft side. Soft is nice for ride quality but if you plan on having a decent drop, you should go with stiffer springs to lessen the frequency or chance of bottoming/hitting the bump stops.
Old 09-29-2002, 01:04 AM
TRELOS

How are the rates of stiffness rated by number or letter? If it is number; higher the stiffer? If it is letter the more to the end of the alphabet the stiffer? What stiffness are u running?

If I were to purchase the Teins and find that the springs are either too stiff or too soft can I retun the springs back to Teins for a different pair at no extra charge? Or would Tiens make be purchase another set of springs?

Are the Tiens considered a performance suspension or is it more orientied to luxury and smooth ride & handeling? In other words would the Tiens setup let me tear up turns?

Juker008
Old 09-29-2002, 02:18 AM
Drifting

Originally posted by Juker008
How are the rates of stiffness rated by number or letter? If it is number; higher the stiffer? If it is letter the more to the end of the alphabet the stiffer? What stiffness are u running?

If I were to purchase the Teins and find that the springs are either too stiff or too soft can I retun the springs back to Teins for a different pair at no extra charge? Or would Tiens make be purchase another set of springs?

Are the Tiens considered a performance suspension or is it more orientied to luxury and smooth ride & handeling? In other words would the Tiens setup let me tear up turns?

Juker008
Stiffness is determined by "clicks". You turn the damper to maximum stiffness and click the adjuster back to whatever level you like.

I don't think Tein has a try before you buy option.

Teins are considered performance. According to the latest Sport Car Compact, Tein has control of 60% market in Japan for suspension. But as JRock mentioned, these are only entry level Teins. It's like getting a BMW 328 versus a 528 or so. It's essentially Tein, but not to the super standard you would expect. But regardless, it performs. I like the adjustment, the dampers, and the ride.
Old 09-29-2002, 02:53 AM
Moderator Alumnus

i cant hate n the tiens cause i havent treid them, but i love the zeal b6s
Old 09-29-2002, 06:54 AM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Juker008

Juker008

Spring rates are listed in "k" which I guess is thousands of pounds or something. The stock springs on the Tein SS are 7k front, 4k rear. They offer steps of 2k. I was quoted $65/spring to upgrade all four corners by 2k. This would give me 9k/6k. Since I like the way the Teins ride right now, I'm going to try just raising a little and stiffening the struts to try to counter any bottoming/whatever.

Tein is considered a performance suspension company - they offer many levels of coilovers, it's just that for the 98+ Accord and 3.2CL/TL they only make an SS coilover system, which is their entry-level one.

http://www.tein.com