Your unbiased opinion of a twin turbo CL

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2001, 09:23 PM
Honkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your unbiased opinion of a twin turbo CL

First off, let's not get off topic and starting talking about how a supercharger may or may not be better...

There are a few knowledgeable people on here with valid opinions, this question is dedicated to you. I have a CL-P, and I am strongly considering adding a set of small Turbos to the car. More than likely they will be eclipse turbos. I don't want to run a ton of boost (6 psi maybe), mostly because I want to keep it reliable and not wear out the tranny. I have talked to a few reputable turbo friendly people and they're all excited to do it, but is there any reason why our motors wouldn't respond well with a turbo setup? Would my compression ratio be too high? I know the Type S has a higher ratio, so it may be benefitial that I only have a CL-P. Please let me know your opinion. Thank you.

------------------
2001 CL-P, new project undergoing complete reconstruction. As of now: Custom CAI fabricated by SRD, Polarg M6 bulbs, 4 ProHopper Chrome hydraulic pumps with whammy tanks, 4 ProHopper dumps, 4 Optima marine deep-cycle batteries, 4 switches. Much much more to come...

1997 Accord coupe EX-L. Chrome suspension, Chrome motor, every bolt-on imaginable. One pump, 8 dump hydraulics with accumulators. Leather, Billet grills, 18" Neeper Shadows...etc..etc http://www.artofnoize.com/Cars/aaron.htm

1990 Toyota standard cab. Bodydropped 3". 17" KMC Nemesis', extensive suspension work. 4 wheel airbags.
Old 06-13-2001, 10:01 PM
Cruisin'

I think you will benefit from the lower compression ratio, it will allow you to run more boost.
Being in Tempe(I'm in Scottsdale) the temp is to high to even get stock HP figures from modded cars.
So if turbocharging, your pipe routing and stuff is gonna raise your underhood temps really high, airflow over engine and to intake will be an issue. An intercooler system will be a must, preferably water to air type.
I wouldn't waste money on a CL-S type intake seeing as you will be force feeding the intake. I would see going to a larger bore throttle body, polishing the intake runners and heads and do what we call port matching.(that's machining all meeting flanges and ports to rid them of any casting flashing's to increase flow and lesson turbulence.)
You will then have to deal with fuel enrichment tuning such as Pressure regulators, injectors, oxygen sensor malfunctions not to forget who would recalibrate your ECU to handle that info.
Turbos are limited and troublesome in our climate, I would rather see and wait for Comptech's research and development and tuners to have a trouble free supercharger that is 50 state legal before massively F@#king up such a car as yours.
Just my opinion.
Scott

------------------
2001 CL-S San Marino Red W/ Parchment Int. Wood Dash, Custom Sheepskins, Bra, Comptech Headers, Exhaust, springs & Sways,Tociko Illumina adjustable shocks.
AEM Pulleys, Injen Polished CAI, Denso Iridium plugs, G-Tech Pro, 18x7.5 Verdict Wheels, 225ZR40X18 Pirelli P7000 Super Sports
Don't Laugh it's paid for!!!
Old 06-13-2001, 10:15 PM
Pro

Well the thing I hear most about ur car is that it has a weak transmission.

Other than that, I think a single turbo setup will do more for your car. Only due to the fact that twin turbo setups are hard to build from scratch w/o alot of money for r&d.

If u want ideas for ur turbo setup... contact that guys at HKS who did that turbo v6 accord. It's basically the same engine.

------------------
1997 Acura 2.2 CL (5spd)
rubber tires, windshield wipers, headlights, horn, steering wheel, BRAKE PEDAL, clutch, brake pads, driver seat, passenger seat, back seat, front windshield, rear windshield (with defroster), lumbar support, cruise control, intermitent wiper control, sun roof (tinted), engine, pistons (only 4), emergency brake handle, trunk w/ tools, spare tire
Old 06-13-2001, 10:15 PM
Drifting

At 6psi the thing I would do is call Jet and get someobod to reduce your timing. You can also get a thicker gasket which will bring your compression down a bit. 6psi is not much though, I dont think you would have detonation problems.

Spiro

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
APEXi V-AFC
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 06-13-2001, 10:33 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Why a twin turbo set up? If you're only planning on running mild boost pressures, wouldn't it be wiser to develop a single turbo system?

IMO, the added complications of a twin turbo set up wouldn't be worth it.

Are you planning on intercooling? You should look into that.

But in reality, I don't think it would be worth the high price you'd pay (and I'm not just talking about the dollar amount) to develop this.....

Just my opinion.

------------------
99 M3
dead CL-S

Tom2: The Voice Of Reason and Captain of the Bullshit Police.
Old 06-13-2001, 11:32 PM
Honkey

I would indeed run a large intercooler. A single turbo does sound much less involved, I will check into that as well. The performance gains are secondary in my opinion. The main reason I am interested in this is for the shock value of having a 2001 CL turbocharged. Not to mention the addition of a few chrome pipes in the engine bay and the sweet sound of a blowoff valve. This car's primary function is as a show vehicle. I have a guy who owes me some money and he has a lot of experiece with turbos, that's how this all came up. I am worried about harming my motor, but he seems confident that if I only run 6psi and an intercooler along with some fuel enhancements and a few other things, I would be safe. Any further input is appreciated.

[This message has been edited by 4pumpedCL (edited 06-13-2001).]
Old 06-13-2001, 11:38 PM
Unregistered Member

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 4pumpedCL:
I would indeed run a large intercooler. A single turbo does sound much less involved, I will check into that as well. The performance gains are secondary in my opinion. The main reason I am interested in this is for the shock value of having a 2001 CL turbocharged. Not to mention the addition of a few chrome pipes in the engine bay and the sweet sound of a blowoff valve. This car's primary function is as a show vehicle. I have a guy who owes me some money and he has a lot of experiece with turbos, that's how this all came up. I am worried about harming my motor, but he seems confident that if I only run 6psi and an intercooler along with some fuel enhancements and a few other things, I would be safe. Any further input is appreciated.

[This message has been edited by 4pumpedCL (edited 06-13-2001).]
</font>
I never would of thought that someone was thinking of putting a set of turbos in their car for shock value. Why not just throw a couple of "turbo" badges on the sides and call it a day

But seriously-- Considering the fact that your car is a FWD, transverse mounted engine, it would be VERY complicated to route a twin turbo set-up. Considering that the exhaust header is right up front, a nice single turbo setup would be quite a bit easier. After all, where the hell would you put the second turbo? Even if you managed to squish it on the other side of the motor, nobody would be able to see it. Might has well have been hidden in that case.

I would hope that this friend of yours owes you some BIG BUCKS, because this type of set-up will not be cheap. But if it floats your boat, then go for it. Just be sure to post pics here when it is finished.

------------------
99 M3
dead CL-S

Old 06-13-2001, 11:40 PM
Unregistered Member

Oh, I forgot--

6 psi on a car with your compression ratio shouldn't pose any problems. That's a very low boost pressure.

------------------
99 M3
dead CL-S

Old 06-14-2001, 11:46 AM
Drifting

I think the hardest part would be to fabricate the exhaust manifold for the turbo. That would have to be custom, and can cost a good amount of money. I agree with Tom, you would be better off getting a single turbo system.

Spiro

------------------
Black/Black 2001 CL-S
Random Technology Cat
RED AEM CAI
APEXi V-AFC
Polarg M6 Roadlamps
Old 06-14-2001, 12:46 PM
teh Senior Instigator

Location: Huntington Beach, CA -> Ashburn, VA -> Raleigh, NC -> Walnut Creek, CA
Received 957 Likes on 328 Posts
do single, and go bigger then an eclipse turbo
Old 06-14-2001, 12:48 PM
magnet

doug from rick case has a twin turbo cl-s but they are having problems with it.........so i think u should wait for them to finally release their twin tubo set up b4 u start doing one

------------------
2001 3.5 cl type s,custom voltage blue paint job, comptech headers, 18 inch ssr agle strusse rims(painted voltage blue with chrome lip), greddy evo exhaust, cross drilled rotors, pioneer avx 7000 tv, playstation2, iceman cold air intake(custom)nos fuel pressure regulator, piaa ion yellow fog lights, slammed on nex suspension (level ten torque converter, dommed topped pistons, mdx crankshaft, rods , bearings, heads ported and polished,s-afc, vtec timing

INFECTED WITH POST WHORE SYNDROME
Old 06-14-2001, 12:50 PM
Rod
Drifting

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mchtypeS:
doug from rick case has a twin turbo cl-s but they are having problems with it.........so i think u should wait for them to finally release their twin tubo set up b4 u start doing one

</font>
And the last I heard it was targeted for a price of $12K. That's a shit load of money. I'd just spend that on a bike.