You all own REAL NICE HONDAS!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2001, 01:30 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You all own REAL NICE HONDAS!

This is the most ridiculous statement anyone can make. Seriously, I've seen this so many times on this board. "You guys just own real nice Honda's!"

1.) Acura is a lot more than just a real nice Honda. If you have driven the Honda V-6 or the 4-Cylinder Cars, they are in fact a joke in comparison to the TL-S/CL-S

2.) If you do believe in you perpetuated lie about Honda's/Acura's just being the same cars and are just "REAL NICE" versions of their little brother. Then answer me this. Honda and Acura are two completely different entities. They are not Subsidiaries of each other nor are they really connected at all. But since my CL-S is just a real nice Honda doesn't that in fact mean that the Aston Martin V12 Vanquish is just a real nice, I mean real nice (http://www.astonmartin.com/base.html) Ford Mustang SVT Cobra Coupe. I mean Ford does make Aston Martin and if you go to http://www.ford.com you can see it plan as day. I never knew that if a Focus ZX3, Jaguar X-Type (http://www.x-type.com/index.cgi) and a Volvo S80 pulled up next to each other on the street they would all just be, in your theory, just a real nice Ford ZX3. To you guys, who doubt Acura, obviously think that the Focus ZX3, Volvo S80, Jaguar X-Type, Lincoln LS and finally the Mazda 626 and Millennia are all the same vehicles and deserve the same credit as their other family counterparts. This is the dumbest argument I have ever heard in my entire life.

3.) I bet you the people that drive their Cadillac’s around wouldn’t be too happy to know this either. That fancy car that they think they have is just about as nice as the finest outhouse wallpaper (Saturn SC-1) this side of the Mississippi State Line. Cause a little known fact is General Motors does make Buick, Cadillac, Hummer, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn and Vauxhall. For those of you that don’t know about Vauxhall (http://buypower.vauxhall.co.uk/index.jhtml) that is the link.

4.) In conclusion, the next time you are at a stop light in your Acura CL-S/TL-S sit back and relax and be soothed by the fact you just have a real nice, I mean real nice…. That’s right…. Honda Accord. And when you get to the next light look to your left and look at Great Grandma Maude in her Cadillac STS or that young business executive to your right in his Jaguar X-Type, make the motion to roll down the window and instead of asking for some Grey Poupon just let him/her know he or she is driving a real nice, I mean real nice Ford ZX3. (Insert your favorite CD and drive off in your Honda)

5.) Until my installment next week….
Old 10-09-2001, 01:31 AM
foe
Racer

A cls/tls is basically a really souped up honda. But its still an awesome car, especially for the money,
Old 10-09-2001, 01:32 AM
Old timer

Basically - I wanted a real nice Honda.

I wanted an Accord with more luxury and more performance. That's what I got. I'm happy.
Old 10-09-2001, 01:37 AM
Rod
Drifting

Originally posted by JRock:
<STRONG>Basically - I wanted a real nice Honda.

I wanted an Accord with more luxury and more performance. That's what I got. I'm happy.</STRONG>
I agree.
Old 10-09-2001, 01:41 AM
Retired Post Whore

Yea dont sweat my Honda.
Old 10-09-2001, 01:41 AM
Subie Dubie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted an Accord with more luxury and more performance. That's what I got. I'm happy.</STRONG>
Honda as usual is the leading manufacturer in the Cart/Fed Ex Championship. I'll take a " souped up " Honda anytime.
Old 10-09-2001, 02:28 AM
Learn to swim.

Originally posted by foe:
<STRONG>A cls/tls is basically a really souped up honda. But its still an awesome car, especially for the money,</STRONG>
Yep,
Old 10-09-2001, 02:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

word
Old 10-09-2001, 03:07 AM
Drifting

I love my Accord Type-S
Old 10-09-2001, 03:36 AM
Race Director

My accord is fast.

j/k

i agree with the original post...except, the zx3 and the aston martin, do not share the same platform...while the accord and the CL does.

But I as well dont like to think about it as a honda, simple cause i like the name Acura more. no other reason at all. Honda makes a good car.
Old 10-09-2001, 03:48 AM
Evil Bob Knieval

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
i dont want to read all that, but i'm still posting :p
Old 10-09-2001, 04:20 AM
6SPDCLS

to be really honest about this issue, I'd have to say the following:

Acura is trying hard to make a name for itself. I would think more along the line of performance/luxury oriented.

As you can see the following are BIG names brands and shit, when you say their names, you know it's quality/performance:

Audi, Lexus, BMW M series, Mercedes AMG, Lincoln, Infiniti, and Aston Martin to name a few popular names.

Some are american divisions and some are in-house tuners I guess.

The thing is ALL of these "divisions" are synomous with LUXURY and or PERFORMANCE.

Acura is like, "Uh, I think it's performance (NSX, Integra) but then again, I don't know where it falls under. It's not totally luxurious like Lexus/Infiniti...but then again, it's affordable to almost everyone.

So it is actually legit in my opinion to declar ACURA "a real nice Honda"...and that's all. I don't think Acura can keep it's image up as a true LUXURY/Performance division since NONE of the cars compare to the others named above...in terms of both quality and performance...ACURA just ain't up there with those big boys.

Acura now has those "certified" Acura car commercials...the one with the GOLF store owner and his TL just doesn't make sense...poor marketing..

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Thanks for reading...
Old 10-09-2001, 04:54 AM
w.t.f., mate?

Originally posted by TypeSDragoon ^*^:
<STRONG>i dont want to read all that, but i'm still posting :p</STRONG>
post whore ;rolleyes:

Keep it in Off-Topic.
Old 10-09-2001, 05:32 AM
Suzuka Master

i'll take a really nice Honda Inspire/NSX/etc etc from Japan anyday

Honda IS the parent company.
No problem.

[ 10-09-2001: Message edited by: KavexTrax ]
Old 10-09-2001, 10:15 AM
Banned

A Mercury is a nicer Ford... a Lincoln is an even nicer Ford... Diversity is good for companies. Built by Honda, not a problem for be. I may have just a Honda, but I'd sure rather have just a Honda than a rebadged Ford. i.e Grand Marquis/Continental.
Old 10-09-2001, 10:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by DDT-TypeS:
<STRONG>to be really honest about this issue, I'd have to say the following:

Acura is trying hard to make a name for itself. I would think more along the line of performance/luxury oriented.

As you can see the following are BIG names brands and shit, when you say their names, you know it's quality/performance:

Audi, Lexus, BMW M series, Mercedes AMG, Lincoln, Infiniti, and Aston Martin to name a few popular names.

Some are american divisions and some are in-house tuners I guess.

The thing is ALL of these "divisions" are synomous with LUXURY and or PERFORMANCE.

Acura is like, "Uh, I think it's performance (NSX, Integra) but then again, I don't know where it falls under. It's not totally luxurious like Lexus/Infiniti...but then again, it's affordable to almost everyone.

So it is actually legit in my opinion to declar ACURA "a real nice Honda"...and that's all. I don't think Acura can keep it's image up as a true LUXURY/Performance division since NONE of the cars compare to the others named above...in terms of both quality and performance...ACURA just ain't up there with those big boys.

Acura now has those "certified" Acura car commercials...the one with the GOLF store owner and his TL just doesn't make sense...poor marketing..

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Thanks for reading...</STRONG>

i disagree with lincoln and infiniti. yeah, infiniti may have a q45, but that's it. none of their other cars are head and shoulders above acura, and there was all this hype about it and its headlights and stuff before it came out, and now no one is interested anymore.

lincoln...when i think of lincoln i think of the car that drove my cousin around n.y.c. when he worked there.

and if you have to use platform sharing as an argument...i guess an audi a4 and a6 are just dressed up passats.

an tl is a rebadged inspire/saber, NOT an accord, so yeah, it's a honda, but not the honda people think it is.

a cl on the other hand is a TRUE ACURA...it's not a rebadged version of anything sold under a honda label.
Old 10-09-2001, 10:52 AM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mrdeeno:
<STRONG>

a cl on the other hand is a TRUE ACURA...it's not a rebadged version of anything sold under a honda label.</STRONG>
If I look back, ppl that called my cl an "Accord", mostly drive Mustangs, Max. and Audi (A4/S4). What with the name calling?
Mustangs maybe fast but not up to CL's quality of luxury.
Max.? I really dont get it. The car is not a luxury sedan nor sport coupe. First they tried to bashed the cl for being slow but when timeslips were shown, they began to talk about build quality. And now they count on the new cars to counter. Like it's really fair to compare a 99 CL and a 01 CL. New cars have better technology. It just makes no sense bashing other cars. What do you get?

The Audi A4/S4 is not out of the question. I like the cars. I give tall props to the owners. I know it's faster and I could afford it but it's not my taste. Everyone has different opinions so please dont go around and make others do what you do.

If you are a car fanatic, appreciate all the cars not just yours. After all, in some ppl's POV your car is just "something that takes you from point A to point B". Thank you.
mrdeeno: you need to update your sig. X's not gonna be making CAI for CL anymore.

[ 10-09-2001: Message edited by: SilverKnight ]
Old 10-09-2001, 11:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by BakedType-S:
<STRONG>
3.) I bet you the people that drive their Cadillac’s around wouldn’t be too happy to know this either. </STRONG>
Although I don't completely share the subject feelings,I do understand the feeling. However I have been guilty of calling my car a Honda.

But that aside and concerning the Cadillac's. Anyone remember the Cimarron:
http://www.celmins.com/cimarron.htm

That is one Caddy I would not own and one that could certainly call a Chevy... Putting leather in a Cavalier won't seperate it from it's roots...
Old 10-09-2001, 11:16 AM
Banned

Originally posted by scalbert:
<STRONG>
That is one Caddy I would not own and one that could certainly call a Chevy... Putting leather in a Cavalier won't seperate it from it's roots...</STRONG>
You mean there's only one Caddy you wouldn't own? I won't even let friends with Caddies park in my driveway!
Old 10-09-2001, 11:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
I'd have to agree with the majority here that the CL/TL's are pretty much luxurious Honda's. No big deal though as that's what Acura is supposed to be, Honda's Luxury Division. Just like the IS300 is a luxo Corrola, the ES300 is a luxo Camry, the Infinity (not sure which one) is a luxo Maxima, the Jaguar X-type is a luxo Ford Mondeo, and the A4 is a luxo Jetta. Well, I think you get the idea. Anyway, I've never had anyone say my car was a Honda, in fact, when I had my old CL, I would say that sometimes to people who weren't familiar with Acura. Now it's not as big of a deal because the CL and TL look different from Honda's......
Old 10-09-2001, 12:07 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
heres how I feel...

If I was buying a "lesser" car... what would I buy...

A Honda or a Toyota?

A HONDA!

So why would I buy a souped up Toyota over a a souped up Honda.
Old 10-09-2001, 12:33 PM
Racer

I LOVE my HONDA. Nuff said!!!
Old 10-09-2001, 01:02 PM
Suzuka Master

I just got my car cause the butt warmers where standard. Just glad I didn't have to pay another 500 for it.

Ours cars have ALOT of standard features that bmw/lexus/audi people have to pay extra. Like the trunk pass through also called ski hole or something like that, usually comes w/ cold package and butt warmers for an additional 500~600. then the sun roof that also cost extra for the other companies and all the other goodie goodies like 6 disc indash changer instead of something in the trunk. I would of gotten this car even if it was a honda if it offred all the same things. Who cares about whats its called. well not me
Old 10-09-2001, 01:49 PM
Casual Observer

My brother drives a 2000 Accord EX V6 and when I was shopping for cars last month he urged me NOT to get the CL-S because he felt that it was just an overpriced Accord.

Let's just say I Got It, He Drove It, He Wants It.

I actually tend to agree with him that it is a very nice, very fast Accord, but that is what I was looking for.
He, on the other hand, has changed his mind and he now thinks that the CL-S is really a few steps above.

Note, this is a guy who really likes his Accord.

Just my two cents, and maybe a view from the other side of the equation.
Old 10-09-2001, 01:53 PM
Banned

I can't believe anyone hasn't mentioned yet the fact that Acura IS a division of Honda Motor Company (look on their website and in your owner's manual).

Additionally, as stated above, the CL/TL are built on Honda America's "Global Midsize" platform - i.e. the one shared with the Accord.

Granted, 80% of the car is different, but the frame and chassis are 95% similar.
Old 10-09-2001, 07:19 PM
Instructor

In 1986, when I bought my first Acura, a Legend 5-speed sedan, the single item which most convinced me to purchase it was stamped on the engine:

"HONDA MOTOR CO."

Since then, I've also owned a 1992 Legend. Each of my Legends were running perfectly with 110,000 and 143,000 miles on each respectively when I replaced them.

Today, my "other Honda" is a 10 year-old Honda riding mower whose engine--13 bhp (at the crank?)-- still starts and runs perfectly. BTW, no tranny problems!
Old 10-09-2001, 07:43 PM
Advanced

I used to get angry whenever someone said that I had a nice luxurious Accord. I would always point out that my CLS was NOT an accord based on engine, suspension, standard features, etc.. I think people who own an Acura want to be seen as people who have something a little more prestigious. The reason I think a lot of BMW owners think they have an exclusive car is because BMW does not share a common platform with a less expensive car. If you ask anyone with an Audi they will be shocked if you called it a luxurious Volkswagen Jetta or Passat. I think Honda makes great cars but I think Acura needs to break away from the general assumptions that Honda cars bring. Most people think Honda Accord's are nice cars to commute in but they aren't great to look at or they're not very sporty. I wish Acura would go back to it's original roots and have a higher priced car like the Legend and have people spend more for a more luxurious nameplate.
Old 10-09-2001, 08:12 PM
Burning Brakes

I own a really nice Honda.

Remember, a really BAD Honda is still better than a "UAW-Built piece of trash"

BTW if the author's theory is correct. A Neon is a really good "baby benz"

He/She obviously have a severe case of:
"Cranial/anal inversion....."
Old 10-09-2001, 11:37 PM
Advanced

READ THIS:
acura is not a honda, i wish i got a honda in the first place, they don't fall apart, trannies don't give after six months, those fuckers last forever! i don't have my cl anymore but i believe on every part of the car, window, door, ect.. it said HONDA. great. bye.
Old 10-10-2001, 11:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by AmericanWoman:
<STRONG>

You mean there's only one Caddy you wouldn't own? I won't even let friends with Caddies park in my driveway! </STRONG>
I need to be kinder than that with my Mother driving an '00 STS.

But in all truth, if and when Cadillac brings out the new CTS with the 2.7L Twin Turbo (320+ HP with nearly the same torque) DOHC, RWD 6-Speed, etc... I could seriously think about a Cadillac. Every mention of the new CTS's chassis has been positive now add a great engine...
Old 10-10-2001, 02:53 PM

I previously had a '94 Accord EXR which I absolutely loved. This spring while looking for a new car, I was only considering buying a new Accord, until I drove it--how is a 94 better designed than a 2001 model?? I was very disappointed in all the changes they had made to the Accord, but that's just my personal opinion. Decided to go check out a few Acura's, and boy am I glad I did. Loved the '01 CL-S, but I still wanted a 5 speed. So I ended up with a 99 CL 5speed and I am totally happy with this car. Sure it doesn't have 260hp, but I'm fine with that.
I also saved about $20,000 Canadian which I can put towards a CL-S 6-speed when it eventually comes out.

Point is, I was extremely happy with the quality of my Honda, no troubles, 100% reliable and FUN! Acura was the next step up and one of the decisions to buy an Acura was my experience with Honda.
Old 10-10-2001, 03:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally posted by autoxCLS:
<STRONG>I can't believe anyone hasn't mentioned yet the fact that Acura IS a division of Honda Motor Company (look on their website and in your owner's manual).

Additionally, as stated above, the CL/TL are built on Honda America's "Global Midsize" platform - i.e. the one shared with the Accord.

Granted, 80% of the car is different, but the frame and chassis are 95% similar.</STRONG>

Go back and re-read the second second of my post (on page 1) as well as some of the other posts. I believe not everyone mentioned this b/c it's an understood. I would be surprised if anyone on this board didn't know that....
Old 10-11-2001, 01:06 AM
So I am rich, big deal!

I always call my car a Honda.

I also call my Lexus a Toyota.

They are ONLY rebadged cars with a nicer interior and engine.
Old 10-11-2001, 02:16 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by chrw:
<STRONG>I previously had a '94 Accord EXR which I absolutely lovedhow is a 94 better designed than a 2001 model?? I was very disappointed in all the changes they had made to the Accord, but that's just my personal opinionSo I ended up with a 99 CL 5speed and I am totally happy with this car.
</STRONG>
So basically what you're saying is you traded in your 94 5th Gen i4 torqueless 5 speed manual Accord, for a 99 (5th Gen Frame still) i4 torqueless 5 speed Accord Cpe, er, I mean Acura 2.3 CL. . Great choice!!
Old 10-11-2001, 02:27 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by JOE CL TYPE S with Navi:
<STRONG>I used to get angry whenever someone said that I had a nice luxurious Accord. I would always point out that my CLS was NOT an accord based on engine, suspension, standard features, etc.. I think people who own an Acura want to be seen as people who have something a little more prestigious. The reason I think a lot of BMW owners think they have an exclusive car is because BMW does not share a common platform with a less expensive car. If you ask anyone with an Audi they will be shocked if you called it a luxurious Volkswagen Jetta or Passat. I think Honda makes great cars but I think Acura needs to break away from the general assumptions that Honda cars bring. Most people think Honda Accord's are nice cars to commute in but they aren't great to look at or they're not very sporty. I wish Acura would go back to it's original roots and have a higher priced car like the Legend and have people spend more for a more luxurious nameplate.</STRONG>
I really don't understand why people have a problem with their Acura's being called Hondas. Acura isn't the one fielding engines in F1, Acura isn't the one fielding engines to CART. Acura didn't build the Ferrari fighting NSX, Acura didn't build the BMW/Porsche fighting S2000. Honda is the true engineers behind this stupid Acura name and always will be. So take some pride in your car being called a Honda, cause Honda is right up there with BMW, Audi, and even the likes of Ferrari. It's Honda beind that engineering, not Acura.

To me, people who want their cars to be considered an Acura don't really know the motorsports history and the current situation with Honda and obviously couldn't care less, because all their interested in is people thinking they own an "Status quo like car like BMW/Mercedes" Acura because the least associated with the likes of a low cost Honda Civic. I'm hoping that those that are purchasing HONDA s2000's are the ones that know the motorsports history of Honda and are respecting the Honda nameplate. And for those that don't want to be associated with a low-cost car, I got news for you, BMW will be fielding the Mini-coupe sometime in America which will indeed be a low-cost economy car. GASP!! Say it ain't so!!! Now all those BMW drivers' ego's will be tarnished :p...

Next time you order parts for your ACURA CL-S, take a look at the packaging, it'll either say Honda of America or Honda of Japan. Nuff said.

[ 10-11-2001: Message edited by: -=SoCalV6=- ]
Old 10-11-2001, 02:40 AM
My other car is a 350Z

Spoken like a true Honda owner... :p
Old 10-11-2001, 02:43 AM
Someday pigs WILL fly!

OMG! You mean you guys are telling me that my CL-S is just an overpriced Accord V6 Coupe? Tell me this cannot be? Those freakin' salesmen!
Old 10-11-2001, 02:49 AM
My other car is a 350Z

Originally posted by gto2050:
<STRONG>OMG! You mean you guys are telling me that my CL-S is just an overpriced Accord V6 Coupe? Tell me this cannot be? Those freakin' salesmen! </STRONG>
LOLZ
Old 10-11-2001, 03:48 AM

SoCalV6:

Well actually, my '94 Accord kinda was driven pretty hard, had a ton of km's on it, and was losing resale value pretty quickly--it was old! The Acura I found was in brand new showroom condition, had very few km's, and even had the extended 5 year warranty. Yeah I realize it's the same engine, and a lot of other things are the same, but to me it's definately more luxurious. Plus the way I keep "trading up" cars (selling the old one and buying the new one), I'm not spending a ton of cash to get to the next level.

In rush hour, it's funny how the 300hp cars don't move any faster than 150hp cars (!), and if I want to really race which I don't do much of anyways, I'll trade up to an IS300 or something similar on my next trade up! Ah, but then I'll have a Toyota.
Old 10-11-2001, 04:15 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by chrw:
<STRONG>SoCalV6:

Well actually, my '94 Accord kinda was driven pretty hard, had a ton of km's on it, and was losing resale value pretty quickly--it was old! The Acura I found was in brand new showroom condition, had very few km's, and even had the extended 5 year warranty. Yeah I realize it's the same engine, and a lot of other things are the same, but to me it's definately more luxurious. Plus the way I keep "trading up" cars (selling the old one and buying the new one), I'm not spending a ton of cash to get to the next level.

In rush hour, it's funny how the 300hp cars don't move any faster than 150hp cars (!), and if I want to really race which I don't do much of anyways, I'll trade up to an IS300 or something similar on my next trade up! Ah, but then I'll have a Toyota. </STRONG>
Yea, I'm just pokin fun at ya , I'm sure it was indeed a setup in quality and comfort since ur car was relatively old and this was not only an Acura, but a new one at that. And ur right, in traffic, no one moves any faster than anyone else , but why have a 5 speed then ?...

Good luck on future purchases...

Quick Reply: You all own REAL NICE HONDAS!