Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2003, 12:18 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yet Another '03 Accord 6spd Dyno!!

remember how vtec.net called out an

1. auto accord v6

2. manual accord v6?

well this guy on www.accordv6.com is claming to own the accord that was dynoed by vtec.net, and here are his shocking results:

for more details, check this out this thread:

THREAD OF ORIGIN

All I can say is: 2 dyno's so far, and if all these numbers add up to be correct then: SOME PEOPLE OWE ME A BIG APPOLOGY!!!!!
Old 04-18-2003, 12:41 AM
Suzuka Master

waz that say? i can't read the fine print
Old 04-18-2003, 12:50 AM
Go Cubs!!!

looks like 201.0 for the auto and 220.0 for the manny
Old 04-18-2003, 01:00 AM
Go Cubs!!!

Actually 230 for the manual...........ummm.......sorry that dyno must be f*cked up, there is no way that there is like a 3% DT loss, unless......................wait a minute, HONDA IS GOD'S NEW CHARIOT!!!YESS!!!
Old 04-18-2003, 01:01 AM
Happy CL-S Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it claims 201 lbft SAE and 230 SAE WHP.... too high for a stock 240 AV6 6speed! That is more than a stock CLS-6.
Old 04-18-2003, 07:17 AM
BOOOOOOsted

2 hokie dynos ................still waiting for a real dynojet dyno from a real person not these companys trying to sell there stuff!!!!

That injen dyno that torqueaholic posted ............ notice how it jumps from run 5 to 15 ?? what happened to the ten runs inbetween??????? Must not have showed the gains that they wanted to show.
Old 04-18-2003, 07:38 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Why must you start multiple threads on the SAME topic in a forum where they DON'T belong???
Old 04-18-2003, 08:38 AM
Banned

damn, honda pulled a nissan under-rating the new car so as not to piss off owners of an older, supposedly FASTER car (CL-S, TL-S) im glad i dont have my CL-S anymore, id be fuckin pissed, thats ridiculous. why didnt they just be honest and say the accord is 260-270 hp???
Old 04-18-2003, 08:48 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally posted by jimcol711
im glad i dont have my CL-S anymore, id be fuckin pissed, thats ridiculous.
I think you'd find the number of people here who owns CLs/TLs upset with something like this to be minimal??? If speed was what I was looking for in a car, I would have looked elsewhere than the CL. And I certainly didn't base my decision to buy my car because it was faster than the then current Accord.
Old 04-18-2003, 08:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Scrib
Why must you start multiple threads on the SAME topic in a forum where they DON'T belong???
LOL. It does get lame real quick hearing about how much better an accord is (over and over and over again).

I bet if you use racing gas in a stock 2003 Accord V6 instead of premium or regular gas, you'll get 241WHP
Old 04-18-2003, 09:10 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

It's a dynapack dyno.
Old 04-18-2003, 09:16 AM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All I have to say is its a freakin ACCORD, and everyone and their MOTHER is going to own one. I still say I will take an ACCORD any day of the week
Old 04-18-2003, 09:17 AM
Cost Drivers!!!!

DynoJET v. DynaPACK

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/ed...ble/index.html

Before we start looking at data, however, let's take a look at how each dyno works. Chassis dynos (that is, those that measure power with the engine in the chassis, as opposed to engine dynos that require the powerplant to be yanked from the car) come in two basic forms; brake dynos and inertia dynos. The Dynojet is an inertia dyno, so it measures power passively by watching how quickly the engine can spin a massive steel drum. Dynojets are physically very simple. The drive wheels sit on a giant steel roller that happens to have a lot of rotational inertia. Sensors on the roller monitor how quickly the drum accelerates, and because the drum's inertia is a known quantity, horsepower is just a little math away. The mechanical simplicity of the Dynojet is one of the keys to its repeatability. Unless some of that mass evaporates, there is little that could affect the calibration of the dyno.

Dynojets do have their limitations, however. While they are seemingly ideal for simply and consistently verifying power output, they are less useful for tuning than a brake dyno. Brake dynos measure power by using some sort of brake to prevent the engine from accelerating and then measuring how much torque they had to exert to resist the engine's advances. While an inertia dyno can only measure full throttle sweeps, a brake dyno can be set up, for example, to measure power output at 30 percent throttle and 3250 rpm, or any other combination of load and rpm. This ability can prove very useful for tuning engine management systems, where all the cells in a fuel or timing table need to be just right.

Brake dynos tend to be far more complicated than inertia dynos, however, since they not only have to have a brake, but also an accurate way to measure how much torque that brake is exerting. The Dynapack uses a hydraulic pump attached to each wheel. Restricting the outlet on the pump turns it into a brake, and measuring the pressure the pump builds up turns out to be an accurate measurement of how much torque the engine is exerting to turn the pump.

All-wheel-drive dynos tend to be very big and very complex, since two sets of rollers have to be used, and the distance between the rollers has to be adjustable to match the wheelbase of whatever car is being tested. The Dynapack deals with this by eliminating the complexity of rollers and, in fact, eliminating the drive wheels altogether. Each hydraulic brake is contained in a small box that can be positioned at each corner of the car. Each drive wheel is removed, an adapter is bolted in place and connected directly to the box. This makes the Dynapack amazingly flexible.

For our WRX test in this issue, we wanted to test seven WRXs and two two-wheel-drive calibration cars while simultaneously doing acceleration, braking and slalom tests. Scott Lampkin and John Card from Dynapack showed up with a truck, unloaded their four Dynapack brakes, a computer and a small generator, set them up under the wing of an airplane and dyno-tested all nine cars on the tarmac of an abandoned runway. The flexibility is incredible.

The lack of rollers offers a unique and unexpected benefit as well-no tire noise. During a dyno pull, the only noise is the engine itself, making it far easier to listen for detonation, misfire, or any other telltale aberration that might affect your tuning.

To see how Dynapack readings compare with the Dynojet readings we are used to, we brought out a pair of two-wheel-drive cars that had already been tested on a Dynojet. The Dynapack, it turns out, is capable of testing in a variety of different ways, but we chose a sweep, where it lets the engine accelerate between two set rpm points over a set period of time. We chose this method both because it most closely replicates the Dynojet's technique, and because it most closely replicates how you use a car on the street; you hit the gas, you accelerate. The procedure gets complicated, however, because the machine is so flexible. You can choose whatever starting and ending points you want (we chose 2000 rpm and redline, as we do with all our Dynojet pulls), you can choose how long the sweep takes and you can choose the settling time, or how long the car is held at the starting rpm before the run starts. The duration of the pull, known as "ramp time" is actually very important. As we have seen when testing cars in different gears on Dynojets, an engine sweeping quickly through its rev band will make less power than one that is loaded more heavily and therefore sweeps more slowly. On a turbocharged car, the engine can actually out-accelerate the turbo, slightly reducing boost. Even on naturally aspirated cars, however, the longer pulls tend to make more power, since less power is being wasted at any given moment accelerating the crank, flywheel and drivetrain.

What we found, from our two-wheel-drive tests, is that the Dynapack and Dynojet give surprisingly similar readings. If you compare a 7-second pull on the Dynapack with a third-gear pull on the Dynojet (which happens to take 9 seconds), the charts agree to within about 2 hp. The same is true when comparing a 15-second pull on the Dynapack with a fourth-gear pull on the Dynojet (fourth gear, in this case, takes about 17 seconds). The agreement between dynos was similar on both cars.
Old 04-18-2003, 09:30 AM
Suzuka Master

One thing I have always been curious about regarding the readings between the DynoJet and Dynapack is the fact that the wheels are removed with the Dynapack.

By removing the wheel not only have you reduced rotational weight but you have also reduced the leverage needed to turn the assembly.
Old 04-18-2003, 09:57 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Zapata
DynoJET v. DynaPACK

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/ed...ble/index.html
so zapata, are we to conclude that dynapack and dynojet are basically similar?? do you have any personal experience with the two dyno systems? I swear, I have seen people post dynapack dyno's of their cls which no body criticised, if I may recall!
Old 04-18-2003, 10:00 AM
Banned

damn, honda pulled a nissan under-rating the new car so as not to piss off owners of an older, supposedly FASTER car (CL-S, TL-S) im glad i dont have my CL-S anymore, id be fuckin pissed, thats ridiculous. why didnt they just be honest and say the accord is 260-270 hp???
this is exactly the reason I am posting this stuff! I smell MAJOR UNDERRATED horsepower from honda here, and I want to uncover the truth! all those who think its for personal glory, and quite frankly are jealous, just know this: I own an AUTO not a 6spd! also trading in your auto CLS now for an accord 6spd(25,900 without navi) is a GREAT idea!
Old 04-18-2003, 10:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by torqueaholic
are we to conclude that dynapack and dynojet are basically similar??
They are not similar, they use completely different technologies. Without going into the mechanical and electrical charateristics, one basic difference is what they measure. The DynoJet actually measures HP and then determines torque; whereas the Dynapack measures torque and calculates HP.

The way they make their measurements is also completely different.

In my experience I have always acheived higher numbers on a Dynapack; in the 2% - 3% range. I always attributed this to the fact that the wheels were not on the car but there could be other factors.
Old 04-18-2003, 10:05 AM
Banned

Originally posted by tool462
2 hokie dynos ................still waiting for a real dynojet dyno from a real person not these companys trying to sell there stuff!!!!

That injen dyno that torqueaholic posted ............ notice how it jumps from run 5 to 15 ?? what happened to the ten runs inbetween??????? Must not have showed the gains that they wanted to show.
see this is where your wrong! :shakehd: their is currently NO PERFORMANCE mods out for the accord 6spd! its all for the auto! the two intakes: aem v2(isn't out yet), and injen, are for the auto! the engine bay size for the auto and 6spd are different! those who put the injen on their 6spd, are currently posting about it online, and have big time problems with installation! as for the injen dyno, you and I know that it takes time, for the ecu to change its fuel maps and pick up the intake! I myself didn't notice any gains untill about a solid hour of driving!
Old 04-18-2003, 10:12 AM
Suzuka Master

this is exactly the reason I am posting this stuff! I smell MAJOR UNDERRATED horsepower from honda here, and I want to uncover the truth!

all those who think its for personal glory,

also trading in your auto CLS now for an accord 6spd(25,900 without navi) is a GREAT idea!
Underrated?? Or just runs stronger on premium fuel?? It makes about the specified power on 87 octane and more on premium. I guess you could state that it is underrated but with the clause pertaining to the octane used.

IMO, it is a little of both, maybe you are out to convey that the new AV6 makes more power than advertised on premium fuel but that is also to make yourself feel better.

As for trading in, I see at least ten '03 AV6 per day. I rarely see a CL. I'll keep it that way, thanks for the suggestion though...
Old 04-18-2003, 10:17 AM
Suzuka Master

as for the injen dyno, you and I know that it takes time, for the ecu to change its fuel maps and pick up the intake! I myself didn't notice any gains untill about a solid hour of driving!
It takes minutes for the fuel trim to adjust to changing characteristics in the engine. Hook up a scan tool and watch the STFT and LTFT after resetting the ECU. They adjust immediately. Going by feel is worthless when you are talking about small percentages. It takes at least a 5% change in power to actually begin to feel something, the rest is optimism. Adjusting fuel trim values may make less than a 1% difference and completed within minutes.

Timing is even quicker as it watches for knock which is instantaneous.
Old 04-18-2003, 10:19 AM
Banned

Originally posted by scalbert

As for trading in, I see at least ten '03 AV6 per day. I rarely see a CL. I'll keep it that way, thanks for the suggestion though...
well they are going to jump ship anyways, especially with the cancellation news and all! so instead of seeing more pictures of 350Z's on this site, maybe we can keep the dollars in the honda family, and get a 6spd accord, which WILL NO DOUBT SMOKE A stock auto cls, anyday of the week!
Old 04-18-2003, 10:21 AM
Banned

at what point does the level of octane in the gas STOP benefitting this accord?? i mean if 87 is reccomended, but 91 offers 10 extra HP, what would 100 octane or 110 octane offer??? anyone ever figure out what a CL-S does with 87 in it??? does it retard to like 240 crank hp? (well, considering what the "240 hp" accord does, the CL-S is probably along the same lines, and probably does about 210 crank hp with 87 octane)
Old 04-18-2003, 10:33 AM
Suzuka Master

at what point does the level of octane in the gas STOP benefitting this accord?? i mean if 87 is reccomended, but 91 offers 10 extra HP, what would 100 octane or 110 octane offer??? anyone ever figure out what a CL-S does with 87 in it??? does it retard to like 240 crank hp?
There would be a limit and I would suspect that it is maxed with 93 octane. There is only so much timing which can be run physically. Plus, Honda would not get overly generous and risk damage.

As for the 87 grade in a CL-S, it would probably drop 5 - 10 hp. Depends on the conditions though. Lower octane fuel contains more BTUs and more potential power baring any changes to timing and no knock detected. So if the same timing is run and no knock occurs the lower octane fuel will make more power. But start bumping up timing and knock will eventually occur with the lower grade fuel.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:20 PM
Safety Car

I've seen several back-to-back dynos on Dynapak's and Dynojets...within 5-7whp every time. This on a 200whp car and a 800whp car.

Yes, the front wheels are removed... but this is accounted for I believe on the Dynapak. You have to enter the final-drive ratio, wheel-size etc. There is no way Dynapak will sell any dyno's if the inflate or deflate the #'s!!
Old 04-18-2003, 12:25 PM
Safety Car

On the Accord vs. CL-S subject...

I have to agree with Scalbert on this. I see a gazillion Accord's on the street... the only 6spd CL-S I saw was BlueCL6's.. and that was at a meet!!

In terms of power-potential... the Accord has a very free-flowing exhaust manifold (sort of like an aftermarket header). Yes, the catalytic is incorporated on the manifold... so nobody is going to make a header for the car. I believe the displacement is 3000cc. I am sure the engine can make 260hp on premium gasoline... but I think the CL-S 6MT can make 340-350hp (crank) without increasing displacement. The Accord V6 will never get to that value.