WTF? Need help with Front License Plate Issue!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2002, 02:12 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTF? Need help with Front License Plate Issue!

Ok, so I finally decided to take off the front license plate after almost two years of driving with the phucker on. I finally got two years of scratches and marks off the front of my bumper and I have been driving for two weeks now FREE!

Phucking Jakes pulled me over yesterday night giving me a warning citation to put the shit back on. Also this morning when i parked in my lot, this bitch in a tl backuped into my bumper. Now i have new scratches from her phucking bumper. My bumper is not protected now and i have a few scratches again and I have a citation to put a license plate on the front.

My question is, is there a license plate frame for the front that is different than the 01s? The 01s scratch the hell out of your bumper if your not careful and I need a new one. Our cars are angled in the front and the bolts are underneath the bumper, where can i find a new one that fits our cars and that doesn't scratch or, should I keep it off and let the cops keep harrassing me?! Thx!
Old 08-26-2002, 02:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're gonna put it back on, put some tape over the area the frame hits the bumper.
Old 08-26-2002, 02:20 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Originally posted by danny25
If you're gonna put it back on, put some tape over the area the frame hits the bumper.
Maybe i am stupid or something, but i tried the tape thing or maybe I used the wrong tape. The back of the license frame still scraped thru the tape. What tape should i use that won't look so freakin tacky?

thoro
Old 08-26-2002, 02:31 PM
'Cooter

Originally posted by ThoroDredCLS

Maybe i am stupid or something, but i tried the tape thing or maybe I used the wrong tape. The back of the license frame still scraped thru the tape. What tape should i use that won't look so freakin tacky?

thoro
multiple layers will do the job...works for me...i have about 5 layers on
Old 08-26-2002, 03:10 PM
2001 Black CL-S

I leave my front tag in the map holder and stick it in the window when I see a cop or if I park somewhere out in the open
Old 08-26-2002, 03:14 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Originally posted by Jbusiness
I leave my front tag in the map holder and stick it in the window when I see a cop or if I park somewhere out in the open
Hey Jbusiness - I too live in MD, the question is, have you been pulled over using that technique? Otherwise that might be my new solution IF I don't run into that bitch cop again. How are the 03 front license plate frames?
Old 08-26-2002, 03:43 PM
the last one alive

I was able to put some rubber binder slip-ons around the plastic bracket of my license plate so it wouldn't scratch my paint. I bought it at the auto store in the auto window accessories section. It kinda looks like a rubber plane that's been shaped in a tight ass U shape and the edge of the plastic bracket would slip in between the U. My bumper hasn't sustained any add'l scratches from my plate since I installed it.
Old 08-26-2002, 03:54 PM
2001 Black CL-S

Actually, yeah, I have been pulled over for that (in my own neighborhood no less...)I saw the cop turn to follow me just as I turned into my hood, so I put the tag in the window as soon as i was past him. The cop pulled me over just as I was pulling into my parking space. He must've thought I was doing something shady because he put his spot light on me as I was opening my car door and yells "get the F back in your car". So of course I did. He walks up to the passenger side window with his gun out and asks "why were you getting out of your car?" so I say "I live here" . he takes my license and reg and see the address matches and asks "do you know Y I pulled you over?" I figured it was the tag but I OF COURSE played dumb. I said, "no, I have no idea". just then he looks in the window and sees the tag. the cop says "I couldnt see your front tag". so I reply, "oh, its a new car and it didn't have the front bracket when I bought it so I just put it in the window". Cop says "get that fixed and have a nice night"

Still havent got it "fixed"
Old 08-26-2002, 04:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

I took the front plate off of my CL-S. But on my TL-P I put door edge guards from R&S Strauss around the edges.
Old 08-26-2002, 07:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Putting the plate on the dash if you get pulled over is a good idea. I got my front plate off too, but it's sitting on a shelf in my room. I'll have to go throw it in the car soon.
Old 08-26-2002, 07:24 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Originally posted by Jbusiness
Actually, yeah, I have been pulled over for that (in my own neighborhood no less...)I saw the cop turn to follow me just as I turned into my hood, so I put the tag in the window as soon as i was past him. The cop pulled me over just as I was pulling into my parking space. He must've thought I was doing something shady because he put his spot light on me as I was opening my car door and yells "get the F back in your car". So of course I did. He walks up to the passenger side window with his gun out and asks "why were you getting out of your car?" so I say "I live here" . he takes my license and reg and see the address matches and asks "do you know Y I pulled you over?" I figured it was the tag but I OF COURSE played dumb. I said, "no, I have no idea". just then he looks in the window and sees the tag. the cop says "I couldnt see your front tag". so I reply, "oh, its a new car and it didn't have the front bracket when I bought it so I just put it in the window". Cop says "get that fixed and have a nice night"

Still havent got it "fixed"
That was funny and not funny at the same time! hehe Anyway, I am leaving it off until they stop giving me warnings. I think when they actually give me a real ticket I will play by their rules. The door guard idea sound great tho. I never thought of that!

Good looking out you guys!!!

thoro!
Old 08-26-2002, 07:42 PM
:)

i took my front license plate off ASAP and left it in my closet no problems with it, even when i got pulled over by a cop for speeding
Old 08-26-2002, 08:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Man I had mine off for about a day and got a f*** ticket for $50, no warning, if u do decide tp leave it off stay out of Silver Spring and Tacoma park
Old 08-26-2002, 08:34 PM
Shift_3.5 Auto

Originally posted by acur8ly
Man I had mine off for about a day and got a f*** ticket for $50, no warning, if u do decide tp leave it off stay out of Silver Spring and Tacoma park
Takoma park cops are ass-holes anyway. I don't usually go around there anyway but, thanks for the notice.

This is OT - Man, we got alot of md peeps. I saw two new 03s today, and one dude had a black cls like me 03 model with cleared headlights. That car looked hot as $hit. Just this week I seen maybe 10 cls. When I went to champions in rockville last weekend I saw four cls and two tls. NICEEEEEEE!!!
Old 08-26-2002, 08:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I see a lot on 495, I usually look for the cl.com sticker or try to see who is driving but there are a lot out there, strange acura saying they dont sell well
Old 08-26-2002, 10:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Welll..be aware of this...

Well just out of concern for the rest of you, please bear in mind that a license plate in the windshield area (or hell anywhere in the passenger compartment) could become a seriously deadly weapon if it is not secured down well.

Goto the hardware store and pick up a couple of suction cups if you want to have that sucker in the windshield, it's probably not the safest method, but better than having it just lieing around free.
Old 08-26-2002, 11:55 PM
Suzuka Master

no plates for me. but i had to put it back on when i was driving under restriction. I just used electrical tape behind the plate and it was fine.

if anyones see's me on 495 or 395 or anywhere else dont' think im crazy if i try to race ya!
Old 08-27-2002, 03:07 AM
Safety Car

Mine is behind the lower grill
There are some pics in the gallery!(tantalus&hawaiimeet)
Old 08-27-2002, 03:19 AM
Safety Car

nevermind, you cant see the plate from that angle anyway
but its there! it is just zip tied to the grill on top(there is two holes in the back of the grill, its perfect!) and for the bottom i drilled two holes for each side( i just used a finger drill) and ran a loop through with more zipties! I will add close ups of the plate to the album!
BTW i never got bothered for the plate being there! even when i got a speeding ticket! well not yet anyway knock on wood!
Old 08-27-2002, 03:28 AM
Pro

Originally posted by bullaculla

BTW i never got bothered for the plate being there! even when i got a speeding ticket! well not yet anyway knock on wood!
Iven,

Dayyummm. Speeding ticket already ?
Old 08-27-2002, 05:26 AM
Safety Car

Originally posted by FDao

Iven,

Dayyummm. Speeding ticket already ?
no,no,no! the gold one!
im trying to keep this one clean!