WRX spanked me pretty bad

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2002, 01:30 AM
Blown LS6!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WRX spanked me pretty bad

There is a light near my house where two lanes merge into one after the intersection. I was sitting in the "correct" left lane and this white WRX pulls up in the "incorrect" right lane. He sneeks up about six feet on me and waits. I see him start to roll hard and I punch it. I'm not used to launching from a stop so I just started spinning my SO3's. I was a little disappointed with them. The WRX gripped damn hard and just started walkin' me. No contest. Grantid, we only raced through the intersection which is only about 70 feet. I know I would of gained on him some later but DAMN! Gotta love that AWD.

BTW, burnt SO3's don't smell very nice...
Old 07-26-2002, 04:23 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Did it look a little something like this?
http://www.thefiresauce.com/vids/cl-wrx.mpg
Old 07-26-2002, 10:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts
you wouldnt have got any back on him they're about is fast as me its the 2-3 cars they put on you at the start that gives them there better times...try 'em from a slow roll then it'll be real close from about 20...make sure your in d1
Old 07-26-2002, 11:22 AM
Xe- For Better Hwy Vision

I still think these cars are AWD turbo timebombs in terms of mechanical failures. Seems like they are running on the edge
all the time, flirting with reduced engine life.

IMO
Old 07-26-2002, 02:23 PM
MP Video Extraordinaire

Originally posted by xenon7

I still think these cars are AWD turbo timebombs in terms of mechanical failures. Seems like they are running on the edge

IMO
My little brother runs the dogsh*t out of his, and no troubles yet. He flogs it in the mud, snow, doesn't matter.
Old 07-26-2002, 08:18 PM
shooting for 1200+rwhp

My advice is to get a 6 speed. I raced one the other nite for a couple of times. Off the line he got b/c of all wheel drive, but by 70 I had caught up to him and was prob gonna pass. From a roll, I beat him every time. Dont get me wrong, they can be made fast really quick and for cheap too. The one I raced had a CAI, Blow-off valve, and Boost controller. Anyways, just thought I would let you guys know.
Old 07-30-2002, 03:31 PM
Blown LS6!!

Originally posted by mantis23
Did it look a little something like this?
http://www.thefiresauce.com/vids/cl-wrx.mpg
It looked EXACTLY like that...except the race was only the first 40 yards or so.
Old 07-31-2002, 09:30 PM
im back

like what happened to me on a 600ft strip, my boy spanked me 3 outta 3 times, but every time i shifted into 2nd i caught up and then ran outta room so we went on a long straight away to about 85 and i destroyed him
Old 08-01-2002, 08:01 PM
Like Nice!!

Originally posted by xenon7

IMO
I just got rid of my 2002 WRX and I have to let you know that these cars are far from turbo timebombs. They are workhorses, and add a little boost and you got a roller coaster. Swap the turbo, add some fuel, play with the timing, take out some stuff, put a few new things in and you got a 12 second AWD street car. The only problem with the WRX is the tranny. The 5 speed tranny is really not made to hold all that power, although I know of a few WRX that are putting 280-300 to the wheels on a stock tranny with no signs of failure. Anyway, thats my input.

Take care,
Pete
Old 08-02-2002, 01:57 PM
PACDAT

Originally posted by New Guy

Swap the turbo, add some fuel, play with the timing, take out some stuff, put a few new things in and you got a 12 second AWD street car.
BUt isnt that the case for our cars too?...IF there WERE parts made for it.. Add a turbo, add some fuel, play with the timing, etc..Imagine a Twin Turbo 6SPD CLS?...
y couldnt they do that.. i saw HKS made a kit for the AV6.

all i gotta say is..
"THERES NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT"
GT3
Old 08-02-2002, 02:33 PM
Like Nice!!

The only problem is that the CL-S is not made to have a turbo, so the copression will be wrong. This was the problem with alot of Subaru guys who put a turbo on the 2.5 liter engine from the 2.5RS. I think that the way to fly on the CL would be a supercharger with 6-8psi. That would fly.

And since I'm one of those guys that like 4 cyl. engines that make tons of power I have to say:
The only replacement for displacement is technology.

I cant wait to throw a SC on my CL and see what happens. Should be fun.

Pete
Old 08-02-2002, 07:48 PM
Cruisin'

Have a friend with turbo and ecu upgrade and he runs 12.9 in the 1/4,

Alas I might have to sell my MR2 turbo, really looking hard at the WRX.

02 M3
93 MR2 turbo
02 3.2 tl nav
Old 08-02-2002, 08:11 PM
Like Nice!!

Originally posted by silverm3
Have a friend with turbo and ecu upgrade and he runs 12.9 in the 1/4,

Alas I might have to sell my MR2 turbo, really looking hard at the WRX.

02 M3
93 MR2 turbo
02 3.2 tl nav

Damn man, nice cars, start throwing some money my way!!

The WRX is a real good bang for the buck car. Its versatile and fun. You can track it, auto x it, drive it in the rain, snow, twisties, whatever. When I buy my house I'll be buying a 99 2.5RS and putting an EJ20 (WRX motor) in it. For now the CL is perfect for me though.

Pete
Old 08-04-2002, 08:55 PM
10th Gear

jucee187

"BUt isnt that the case for our cars too?...IF there WERE parts made for it.. Add a turbo, add some fuel, play with the timing, etc..Imagine a Twin Turbo 6SPD CLS?...
y couldnt they do that.. i saw HKS made a kit for the AV6."

-nope the cl-s wasn't made for turbo's...your engines to weak to boost that high so you would need a complete rebuild...

-if you do the engine rebuild, than start saving a shit load of money to do suspension and even if you have a good suspension you still have fwd...

-car is way to heavy, you would need about 350 hp to the wheels to hit low 13's...

-im almost positive that you will need to seriously upgrade your tranny...and im not only meaning a clutch/flywheel combo if ya kno what i mean...

by the time your finished, you could have bought a supra mkiv for 20g's, build the engine up a bit, clutch/flywheel combo, switch to a single turbo, get a few basic parts with some dyno tuning and make your car look flawless for about the price you would pay to have your cl-s upgraded to get into the low 13's...peace
Old 08-05-2002, 07:40 AM
Cruisin'

READ THIS

the cl wont take to boost to well because of the compression ratio...go get a turbo kit with a nice sized turbo (T67) should be enough for most of you guys as it can support insane amounts of power. next and this is important get yourself a nice top quality intercooler not just some cheap one that you can get off some stock car at a junkyard. intercoolers truely are very important as the cooler you get that air charge the more boost you can run. liquid to air intercoolers are better at cooling air but they cost a bit more and they add more weight, in the end though they are worth it. after that you will need to upgrade your fuel system with a better fuel pump, fuel rail, regulator, and bigger injectors. now comes the tricky part. my guess is that the CL has a rather beefy block that can support more power then most would even care to have but if not you can have it sleeved by Darton or AEBS for a little over 1k but i dont think that will need to be done, if you want the extra security then go for it and your block would probably be good for about 40psi of boost with the sleeves. next i dont think that they even make pistons and rods for the CL-S but that realy is not a problem as you can call JE pistons and Crower and they can make some custom units to your specs quite easily. have them make the pistons to drop compression to about 8.8-9.2:1 and make very very beefy rods to handle alot of hp. tell them that the pistons need to be coated for high rpms as you will later need to bump that redline up. you will also need to have a custom camshaft made that will offer high lift and durration. with that you will also need a couple of cheap mods to hold everything together such as stiffer valve springs, lightweight retainers, stronger head studs, polyurithane motor and transmission mounts to get rid of drivetrain play,and a metal head gasket. a stand alone engine managment unit to controle all this is vital. the need for the EMU (engine managment unit ) is that new fuel maps will need to be made to support the extra fuel needed and raise the rpm redline to about 9k.

Ok now try to stick with me here as this is where i usualy lose people. the reason high rpm in a fwd car is good for a few reasons. first you here all this talk of low rpm torque which is good but trust me for a CL you would want to make max torque at maybe 6k rpm because since its fwd all that torque which should speed you up will actualy slow you down by spinning the tires like there is no tomorow. next most people dont realy know what torque and hp really are or how they are related to each other. fist im ganna explain it through physics then im going to put it in real world terms that most can understand. now to those that dont know torque is twisting force or power. hp is how that torque is being used. you here people say that its better to make torque down low but that is only true to a surtain point. it is actualy better to make torque at high rpm and im ganna tell u later how to put vtec to your adavtage on this topic. ok now to explain how torque at a higher rpm plus a real high redline is the way to go. to much torque down low will spin the tires in any car especialy a fwd car. and in contrairy to popular belief torque doesnt move you off the line hp does. its just that the amount of torque made is directly connected to how much hp you make t the low rpm. hp is how torque is being used and the formula is (TORQUE x RPM)/5252=HP. that means that torque mutliplied by rpm divided by 5252 equals hp. the numbers are directly linked even though most people think they are not.

take for example a car making 200lb.ft. at 3000rpm it has to be making 114.24hp no more or no less IT HAS TO MAKE THAT MUCH HP BY THE LAWS OF PHYSICS. now with a turbo torque will grow like crazy and with a large turbo like the T67 that i suggested the slug has enough size to make great boost all the way to redline and provide a decent amount of lag (which can actualy help fwd by not over powering traction off the line spinning the tires). by being able to boost up to the high rpm you are increasing torque at the high rpm. next the EMU will help you multiply the new torque to incredible hp. take for example that you can make 350lb.ft. at 7000rpm (stock type S redline i think) the car would be making 466.48hp at 7k rpm. now take that same amount of torque up to about 9k rpm and there is a huge diffrence as it jumps to 599.77 hp just by holding that torque to higher rpm. i know im making it sound easy but these numbers are very very possable with this motor. to put it in simple terms take torque as the power or amount of damage done by a bullet. take a high torque car (dump truck=shotgun) and a high hp car (CL=minigun).now shot for shot a minigun cant make nearly as much damage as a shotgun. but keep in mind that a shot gun fires very slow (low rpm) and needs to be reloaded after a few shots. lets say you rate each shot gun blast as 20 points damage wise and each bullet from the minigun at 3 points. in 10 seconds the low rpm shotgun will get off about 6 rounds and do about 120 points worth of damage. the low torque high rpm minigun will get off about 400 rounds in 10 seconds and do a total of 1200 points worth of damage making it easly more powerfull even though each shot is much weaker. that is why it is importent to get the CL into those high rpm and move to torque curve away from the low rpm and get it into the high rpm.

what im saying is by no means cheap but i know some1 out there can spare the money (about 15k give or take a bit).there is sooo much more to go over but im tired of typing and will continue it some other time.....with these mods this cl would be a god damn terror no1 would ever expect easily making 600hp if not alot more. i wouldnt suggest doing this with the auto tranny as they can barey hande the stock 260hp.

p.s. as u can tell i know a bit about modding motors and my specialty is honda motors. if you realy want me to get into all the details of what i would do get in touch with me....i have some sick ideas for any1 who wants to use my know-how along with your deep pockets

damn i wish i had 1 of those talk and type things so i wouldnt need to type with my hands LOL.

make me a moderator and i'll keep you all up to date on my tech tips.....LOTS more info to share but i need something to provide the will power to type it all. getting a moderator postition might help motivate me to type it all LOL.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:17 AM
Senior Moderator

very interesting,though way out of my league....you should talk with doug foss and john brown (castrol syntec civic builder/owner) they have projects though not as aggressive ,like yours he's doen small twin turbo and a few storkers..3.5, 3.8,
BTW our block already has cylinder sleves
Old 08-05-2002, 11:56 AM
Cruisin'

well the block might be sleeved stock and can actualy be a very solid block but not up to the specs with darton sleeves for example....their sleeves are good for between 40 to 50 psi of boost and on a motor the size of the CL would estimate that this motor can pump out about 1500-1800hp in drag racing trim unless you want to go real crazy and start using methanol. way to much for the street but perfect for some1 who wants to build a track CRX lol.

im not really up to date yet on this motor so i will be further developing my ideas about it as time goes on. actualy i just recently got interested in it as my brother just purchased the CL-S 6speed a month ago.

i know the setup i recomended before was a bit extreme but even that was far far from this motors potential....its all about the money hehe. something more affordable would be maybe a custom turbo manifold using a HKS GT2836 turbocharer and custom piping. along with lowwer compression pistons and forged rods. also a fuel pump, bigger injectors, regulator,adjustable cam gear, and EMU. this setup wold probably go for about 7000 but would give great results and push the CL well into the mid 400hp range.

even that is pricey though......oh well you wanna play you got to pay
Old 08-05-2002, 04:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by RSXracer200
well the block might be sleeved stock and can actualy be a very solid block but not up to the specs with darton sleeves for example....their sleeves are good for between 40 to 50 psi of boost and on a motor the size of the CL would estimate that this motor can pump out about 1500-1800hp in drag racing trim unless you want to go real crazy and start using methanol. way to much for the street but perfect for some1 who wants to build a track CRX lol.

im not really up to date yet on this motor so i will be further developing my ideas about it as time goes on. actualy i just recently got interested in it as my brother just purchased the CL-S 6speed a month ago.

i know the setup i recomended before was a bit extreme but even that was far far from this motors potential....its all about the money hehe. something more affordable would be maybe a custom turbo manifold using a HKS GT2836 turbocharer and custom piping. along with lowwer compression pistons and forged rods. also a fuel pump, bigger injectors, regulator,adjustable cam gear, and EMU. this setup wold probably go for about 7000 but would give great results and push the CL well into the mid 400hp range.

i have a close friend...the one that was working on the blown s2K,w/nos i showed the pic of in one of these threads that does alot of work with the turbonetics guys...he's telling me about the lexus v8 motor they're putting into a celica shell(i think) should end up around 1700hp...

let me just say i like your style...hope you syick around and share what seems like your wealth of knowldge...
Old 08-05-2002, 04:17 PM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by typeR
i have a close friend...the one that was working on the blown s2K,w/nos i showed the pic of in one of these threads that does alot of work with the turbonetics guys...he's telling me about the lexus v8 motor they're putting into a celica shell(i think) should end up around 1700hp...

let me just say i like your style...hope you syick around and share what seems like your wealth of knowldge...

yah i'll probably become a long term member at this board seeing how my brother just got the car so you'll be seeing me around...as much as a know, i know other people that put me to shame and i get toaly lost if i talk about modding with them. there is a quite impressive VW crew in my town and their cars range from high 12's to mid 11's, they know their shit but i dont know any of them to well....oh well i'll just have to stick to learning shit without them LOL.
Old 08-05-2002, 09:46 PM
Blown LS6!!

Originally posted by RSXracer200

...But back to the topic at hand - would this allow me to beat that damn white WRX that ate me alive?
Old 08-06-2002, 02:35 AM
Cruisin'

Originally posted by Seattle Cl-S

...But back to the topic at hand - would this allow me to beat that damn white WRX that ate me alive?
heh you would kill it....the wrx gets off the line quick but is not all that fast afterwords. they pull low 14's and yet still get the same trap speeds as my high 14's rsx. they will have you thik they are some sort of god but if you go at it from a role you'll win quite easily unless he's modded. the wrxs had very bad gearing after 3rd and the aerodynamics of a brick, they are very weak after 3rd.