Wow!! I think VSA HELPED!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 01:10 PM
Revving at 9K...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow!! I think VSA HELPED!!

Damn, I think the VSA we all love to turn off actually helped me in this one...

Well, for starters, I live in OR, which you may all know that it rains here all the time. It's been raining throughout the entire hoildays as matter of fact. So the road has been pretty darn wet.

It's Tuesday night (stopped raining, but the road was still wet), me and a bunch of friends was getting ready to go to the Grill for New Years Eve dinner, and one of them has a Civic hatch with a Type R swap along with all the bolt-on's (I\H\E), and I've gone to the track with him before, and I know that on a good day, he runs around mid 13's. So I know my CLS Auto probably can't touch him, but he just love to give me shit about me selling my all-motor integ and getting the FAT CLS.

Anyway, we were on our way to the grill, and 3 cars total including my and his. At first we decided that everyone would follow me to the grill because I know the area the best. But when we approached a red light where on one our end it's a two lane road, and on the other side it merges into one lane. I'm guessing the distance between the red light and the merge is about a little less than a 1/4 mile, and Civic friend decided to pull up next to me on the right side, reving his car at me. I was like "what the hell.. why not", I wanted to know how bad these moded Civic can beat me for a while now. So I nodded back at him and it's on.

Since everything took place within a very short time, I didn't not have time to think about everything I should do for a quick run. No VSA off, no SS, and no D1, I was in D5. When the light turned green all I did was floored it. My VSA (!) was going off like crazy, and it had a little wheel spin, but I was off. My friend on the other hand wasn't so lucky. He had massive wheel spin at the line, I could hear it as I was taking off. By the time he caught traction, I was already 2-3 cars a head of him, let along trying to beat me to the merge. He was pissed. When we got to the Grill, he just kept telling everyone that if the road wasn't wet, he would have spanked my ass.. My only response to him was.. A win is a win, especially he was the one who wanted to run in the first place. :P

I guess the point of this post is that, the VSA actually helped me win a race against a faster manual transmission car, given the road/wheather condition of course.

If any CLS Auto ran CLS6, do you guys think it would be the same result?
Old 01-02-2003, 02:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Wow!! I think VSA HELPED!!

Originally posted by CLS2001_97124
Damn, I think the VSA we all love to turn off actually helped me in this one...

Well, for starters, I live in OR, which you may all know that it rains here all the time. It's been raining throughout the entire hoildays as matter of fact. So the road has been pretty darn wet.

It's Tuesday night (stopped raining, but the road was still wet), me and a bunch of friends was getting ready to go to the Grill for New Years Eve dinner, and one of them has a Civic hatch with a Type R swap along with all the bolt-on's (I\H\E), and I've gone to the track with him before, and I know that on a good day, he runs around mid 13's. So I know my CLS Auto probably can't touch him, but he just love to give me shit about me selling my all-motor integ and getting the FAT CLS.

Anyway, we were on our way to the grill, and 3 cars total including my and his. At first we decided that everyone would follow me to the grill because I know the area the best. But when we approached a red light where on one our end it's a two lane road, and on the other side it merges into one lane. I'm guessing the distance between the red light and the merge is about a little less than a 1/4 mile, and Civic friend decided to pull up next to me on the right side, reving his car at me. I was like "what the hell.. why not", I wanted to know how bad these moded Civic can beat me for a while now. So I nodded back at him and it's on.

Since everything took place within a very short time, I didn't not have time to think about everything I should do for a quick run. No VSA off, no SS, and no D1, I was in D5. When the light turned green all I did was floored it. My VSA (!) was going off like crazy, and it had a little wheel spin, but I was off. My friend on the other hand wasn't so lucky. He had massive wheel spin at the line, I could hear it as I was taking off. By the time he caught traction, I was already 2-3 cars a head of him, let along trying to beat me to the merge. He was pissed. When we got to the Grill, he just kept telling everyone that if the road wasn't wet, he would have spanked my ass.. My only response to him was.. A win is a win, especially he was the one who wanted to run in the first place. :P

I guess the point of this post is that, the VSA actually helped me win a race against a faster manual transmission car, given the road/wheather condition of course.

If any CLS Auto ran CLS6, do you guys think it would be the same result?
in a word YUP

they spin like crazy
Old 01-02-2003, 07:32 PM
What, me drive fast?

Nice kill. Take them anyhow you can get em'!
Old 01-02-2003, 10:14 PM
Instructor

every race i've had i've left the vsa on.

I find it helps with the launch.

most races are decided within the first 50 feet
if yor tires are not spinin that means your cars is moving.
Old 01-03-2003, 01:38 AM
WHO'S NEXT!!

dude, you're loosin alot with the vsa on. its like bogging your launch!!
Old 01-03-2003, 01:39 AM
WHO'S NEXT!!

Originally posted by quikcls
directed at goldtypes's previous state.
Old 01-03-2003, 01:59 AM
Instructor

directed at goldtypes's previous state.

i tried it once with out when i first bought the car 3 months ago

i just find theres to much wheel spin from the line when you punch it.

what are you doing powerbraking?

Does it really make that much difference and is there a knack to launching it with it off.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 388 Likes on 196 Posts
nice kill

the car will launch harder in the wet or dry w/ the vsa off, you have to feather the throttle though, or you will just spin. if you just mash the gas, vsa will help in the rain, on the dry pavement it's still probably better with it off.
Old 01-05-2003, 05:29 PM
Retired. Not available.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I second that. With VSA on and even with no brake torque, by the time VSA gives you back the control of the gas pedal, you have at least 1 car length to catch up.
Old 01-05-2003, 07:43 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by SilverKnight
I second that. With VSA on and even with no brake torque, by the time VSA gives you back the control of the gas pedal, you have at least 1 car length to catch up.

well thanks for the info

all this time i thought you wanted it on for traction,
i'm surprised i've done as good as i have ,but most races seem to come off a roll .

will give it a try.