Worst car experience ever! This sucks

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Worst car experience ever! This sucks

I got my headers installed yesturday and of course wanted to jsut cruise around all night. After cruising, eating, and doing some shopping I decided to go see Batman with the woman. Here is were it gets weird.

After the movie I am pulling out of the parking lot and my maintanence required light flashes on for a breif second. Didn't think any of it. 200 yards later, my dash starts lighting up all the lights like a christmas tree! Then the dash dims and brightens. I pull over in the parking lot and shut off the car....but the car won't start back up.

I have my mom bring me a pair of jumper cables at 11:30PM. I JUMP THE CAR WITH THE CABLES MIXED UP ON ACCIDENT! It was night time and I don't have the battery cover. Someone had put red tape around the negative wires from the battery so I just assumed that was the positive end not thinking about it.

I turn both cars on and proceed to just let my battery charge and then notice the cable's smoking. I go to take them off ASAP and it's fucking HOT. The cables melted onto my headlight and bumper. Now I am stuck with a 2in strip of melted headlight and a tiny melted spot on my bumper(just looks like a rock chip)

I ended up getting a new set of cables and jumped the car, but the problems continued. I left the car overnight FLIPPING OUT THAT I JUST RUINED MY HEADLIGHT...I just bought the car May 31st.

Come to find out the shop that had installed my headers had un-connected the bottom plug on the alternator! MOTHER F****** I feel like a dumbass, but this would have never happened if A)they had reconnected the plug B) if there wasn't red tape on the negative terminal...WTF

CLIFF NOTES:
-Got headers installed
-Shop left the bottom plug on the alternator unplugged
-I jumped my car with postive cable connected to negative
-Cables metled to my headlight!
-There was red tape on my negative battery terminal
-I'M F******* Pissed

End rant...say what you want lol
Old 08-01-2008, 04:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
damn that sucks... I can imagine the whole situation unfolding in my head... I can just imagine how pissed I would be at something like that... It only happens to the best of us bro. I curbed the absolute piss out of my rims the other night cus I was mad and pulled a U-Turn where I shouldn't have.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Pro

lol I'm going to try to get a picture up of the light. It looks like a streak of birdshit unless your up close and then you can see if was burned
Old 08-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Chillin' in my trailer

That sucks man, hope you get it worked out for you.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:47 PM
AcuredCLS

id make the place pay for the damage...cuz like u said none of it would have happened if it wasnt for them
Old 08-01-2008, 06:11 PM
Pro

I can't "make" them do anything, but I will plea my case and hope they give me some sort of reimbursement
Old 08-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
yea the idiots who installed my headers forgot to plug the 02 sensor back in so i thought i had to go and get an 02 simulator until i got under the car and immediately saw the problem
Old 08-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Banned

this is why mommy and daddy shouldent buy a 19 year old a Cl-S.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Pro

Quit assuming shit b/c I made a mistake in the dark when I saw a red piece of tape around the negative battery cable. I'm sorry you obviously had your parents buy you a car when you were 19 or maybe your mad b/c I am 19 and have a nicer car then yours. I dunno, I don't care

I bought the car myself you douchebag... Theydo not help me with my car or insurance.

I'll take your comment with a grain of salt.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:54 PM
Banned

just pitching you shit for not knowing that the power side has an excess of wires coming off of it, while the negative has well one.....and the fact that your mom had to come save you in the middle of the night, in front of your girl....you mammas boy douchebag
Old 08-01-2008, 10:59 PM
ridin slow'n'low

post pics of the dmg
Old 08-01-2008, 11:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 02CL-TypeS
Quit assuming shit b/c I made a mistake in the dark when I saw a red piece of tape around the negative battery cable. I'm sorry you obviously had your parents buy you a car when you were 19 or maybe your mad b/c I am 19 and have a nicer car then yours. I dunno, I don't care

I bought the car myself you douchebag... Theydo not help me with my car or insurance.

I'll take your comment with a grain of salt.
lol dont worry about what that kid says, he is just pissed off because he is sitting at home in OREGON with nothing to do but flame ppl on the azine. it was an honest mistake on your part, and i know for a fact at 19 most ppl have their own car payment and insurance and such... let him try to call you out all he wants, he is probably 5'2" with acne all over his face
Old 08-02-2008, 12:15 AM
Lead Footed

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Bummer dude . . . I hate when $hit goes bad like that . . . I know, I've done some bonehead things in my years . . .

. . and as you get older you'll get wiser about this sort of thing, but then you get older and your mind starts playing games with you so you're right back where you started.

Ruf
Old 08-02-2008, 02:01 AM
Custom User Title

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by scholtew
just pitching you shit for not knowing that the power side has an excess of wires coming off of it, while the negative has well one.....and the fact that your mom had to come save you in the middle of the night, in front of your girl....you mammas boy douchebag

We all know whose mommy never helped them in the middle of the night.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:10 AM
Chillin' in my trailer

If it makes you feel any better I melted my dome light in my car. I was mega pissed and it was my fault.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:29 AM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
the worst case scenario out of this is that you learn a lesson, hope it all works out though go back to the shop and plead your case thats all you can really do
Old 08-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Pro

I'll post pics later tonight of the headlight. The damage isn't that bad, but still makes me mad. I probly won't fix it unless I switch headlights to the 03 blacked out housing
Old 08-02-2008, 10:06 AM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That sucks, dude.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
ok kids enough! or

So what kind of shop did the headers? Was it a mom & pop place, general auto shop or a chain store?
Old 08-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Gnate
We all know whose mommy never helped them in the middle of the night.
If I was stuck in the middle of the night, I'd call my momma
Old 08-02-2008, 10:39 AM
Not a doctor

02, what shop did you go to? seems like they really messed up a routine install. you shoulda just spent the four hours and done it yourself maaan

Originally Posted by scholtew
this is why mommy and daddy shouldent buy a 19 year old a Cl-S.
dude a used auto CLS is worth 8, maybe 9 grand. it's that or a Kia Rio; and no one wants those pieces of shit :gheyfight:
Old 08-02-2008, 11:03 AM
Pro

I actually went to a performance shop in my area that specializes in imports. The owner even has a skyline! It was obviously an accident b/c one of the plugs was in and one was not.

I couldn't install it myself. I don't have a torque wrench or impact gun
Old 08-02-2008, 11:09 AM
Custom User Title

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 02CL-TypeS
I actually went to a performance shop in my area that specializes in imports. The owner even has a skyline! It was obviously an accident b/c one of the plugs was in and one was not.

I couldn't install it myself. I don't have a torque wrench or impact gun
I had my friend put on my headers with no torque wrench or impact gun and they are still tight as all hell.

correction: header and yeah ignore this because I own a first gen 4 cylinder haha. My bad.
Old 08-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Blown is Best

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Sucks that the shop missed that on reassembly. Look on the bright side though. A lot of nasty things could have happened to both cars reversing the polarity on the terminals. Frying a set of jumper cables is a lot cheaper than a lot of the other things that could have happened. Imagine if you had to buy an ECU.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:36 PM
vroom monitor

interesting (infuriating post

Sucks to hear what happened to your ride. I hope it all works and that guy givin you trouble is a flamer. Im 33 and I love my mommy
Old 08-03-2008, 03:46 PM
-Arsenic-

Received 101 Likes on 94 Posts
Wow that sucks man. I know Susan pretty well (owner of the shop) just go up there and explain everything to her. If there is something they can do, they will help you out.

and scholtew, stfu. You're a moron.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by Allout
Sucks that the shop missed that on reassembly. Look on the bright side though. A lot of nasty things could have happened to both cars reversing the polarity on the terminals. Frying a set of jumper cables is a lot cheaper than a lot of the other things that could have happened. Imagine if you had to buy an ECU.
You're lucky you're still alive.
Imagine a battery exploding
Old 08-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
In case you wondering, you need a new battery too. Lead is soft as is and when it gets hot, it's real soft. Since it was hooked up backwards long enough to get the wire that hot, the plates surely got quite hot as well. What ends up happening is they get thicker on the bottom and end up touching. I'd go to an auto parts store and have them put the battery on a load tester. The same thing for your mom's car. It's better to figure it out there than in another parking lot late at night.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Pro

UPDATE: I went up there today and heres what happened:

I wait in there for 10min while the guy is on the phone. I ask for Susan, but she isn't there so I explain my problem to him. He said there is no way it was from them b/c they wouldn't need to remove the plug from the alternator.

I go out and show him that yes, they would have to remove the plug to torque a bolt with an impact gun/wrench. He says, well I dunno it can go both ways. I was like WTF, this happened b/c I had headers installed and you guys forgot...it wouldn't just so happen to fall out the day you installed the headers. He said it could have been there mistake, but it was there "lead tech" and he double checks everything! In my mind I'm thinking I got there best tech and he forgot to do something so simple?

I show him my headlight and he says that's my fault. I tell him it was, but it was a mistake b/c it was late at night and there was red tape on the neg. wires. I also tell him that wouldn't have happened if they didn't make a mistake.

Finally, I let him know the dealership wants $100 to give me my radio code. (My radio won't work after the battery dies and requires a code) I knew how to do it without paying $100, but tried to use that as an excuse to get some money back b/c they wouldn't give me any for my other problems. He did reset my radio, but I could have done it myself. He also says that they didn't ahve to do this b/c the battery dying was my fault...THE REASON IT DIED IS B/C THE ALTERNATOR NEVER RECHARGED IT! :0

I say thank you and leave pissed I couldn't get anything for this.

On my way home he calls and *****es b/c I had already made a thread on my local Honda/Acura forum. I told them I tried to contact them and didn't mention there name until people asked for the shops name. He says that everyone is backing him up. I say DUDE LOOK AT IT AGAIN. EVERYONE EXCEPT ONE PERSON IS SAYING YOU SHOULD DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS. He says well I already did the labor and saved me $100 from the dealer...I let him know I already knew how to do it, but was trying to get something since they weren't going to help with my headlight/stranded problem. I tell him I'm done arguing with him and that you guys warned me before going to Adrenaline. He's pissed at me and says I shouldn't have done this cause now people are dissing him in this thread:

Sorry for the long post...just thought you guys should know. I won't go there again.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

If the shop left the plug off, why didn't you get the CEL or alternater light right away?
Old 08-04-2008, 11:13 PM
Burning Brakes

they will never pay for your headlight... about the only thing you can do is never give them your business again.
Old 08-10-2008, 02:28 PM
3rd Gear

I once left my spotlight (used to spot out drunks and whores)on in the back of the passenger seat pocket. Well, it melted/cooked the leather on the rear right seat. Sucks.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:48 AM
cLs - 6

Sorry to hear that bro-- I hate to say this.. but you should probably bring an older adult.. Most people don't care about what younger adults say but if your dad or uncle or someone older can come to the place, i'm sure they'll be able to do something and hopefully some reinbursement!! Good Luck!!
Old 08-12-2008, 02:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TLy2522
Sorry to hear that bro-- I hate to say this.. but you should probably bring an older adult.. Most people don't care about what younger adults say but if your dad or uncle or someone older can come to the place, i'm sure they'll be able to do something and hopefully some reinbursement!! Good Luck!!
young ppl get a bad rep in this country... I worked at napa for two years and was just as knowledgable as the next counter guy but stupid rednecks would come in there and be like "you cant help meeee boiiii" i probably knew more about cars than some of the ignorant jerks who used to come in there.

i guess when you get old you get cranky and jealous of young people and there good looks/strength/smarts... oh well it will be me someday