window tinting question

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2002, 12:57 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
window tinting question

hey people:

I just got my TL-S and my gf's CL-S tinted today. 30% all around, it looks pretty cool. But I have a question regarding the tint on the dot matrix part of the rear window. Anyone got that part tinted as well? How does it look? I am asking because the tint shop that I went to put some kind of glue on this part of the tint. Supposedly to keep air from sneaking in a few years from now. But it looks sort of ugly. I don't know if it will look different after it dries up. I certainly hope so. If you guys can please take a picture of how the dot matrix part looks on your tinted car, I would appreciated it. I want a view from inside the car, looking out. Also the tint shop had some problem smoothing out the tint infront of the 3rd brake light on the CL because the back window sloped too steep. So they ended up cutting that part out. There is no tint infront of the 3rd brake light. It looks kind of funny, but I guess we can get used to it after a while.
Old 03-31-2002, 01:05 AM
Darth Tator

on mine they just put black tape over the dot matrix and tinted over the 3rd brake light but they didn't do a very good job near it.
Old 03-31-2002, 01:06 AM
Banned

I had mine tinted a year ago. He had no problem with the 3rd brake light. He tinted over the dot matrix at the top. Whatever that stuff is made out of makes it hard to tint to stick to. Mine looks alright. Some people had their matrix painted over.
Old 03-31-2002, 03:48 AM
The Screeching Toyo's

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey bro, where did you go???? There is a place in Hayward on Dollar Street by Mission and Harder. They told me they could do the tint and have NO discoloration or bubbles or anything bad in the dot matrix area. When we gonna hook up so I can check out your rides???? Let me know.
Old 03-31-2002, 04:09 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had mine tinted over the dot matrix, it really bugs me. it looks really uneven with some white and dark spots at the dot matrix area. i'm probably goign to wait another week or two and then consider getting it re-done.

-briancl
Old 03-31-2002, 09:36 AM
Team Owner

On my 2001 they went over the “dots” with the tint and it looked fine inside & out.
As for the center brake light, they cut mine out as well and I was pissed.

I’m going back to the same place for my new car because they do great work, but this time I am removing the rear parcel shelf myself ahead of time so I’m sure the ENTIRE window gets covered.

Shawn S
Old 03-31-2002, 09:56 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
That dot matrix part is metal. My tint guy steel wooled it first, them tinted it. It looks pretty even. My brake light was cut out also, but I had my windows tinted before I had the spoiler installed.
Old 03-31-2002, 09:59 AM
Red X

check my sig. and the brake light is tinted as well. i might go back to get a second layer of 20% for the back three. summer is coming and it's getting really hot.
Old 03-31-2002, 11:15 AM
The Screeching Toyo's

Originally posted by gmilian
summer is coming and it's getting really hot.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA we don't live in Arizona!!!!!! really hot, AHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Old 03-31-2002, 11:20 AM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I am looking to get mine tinted because it's already hot here in AZ and I want to know what you guys have been paying?
Old 03-31-2002, 12:02 PM
Intermediate

i got mine tinted with the formulaone tint reflective. the dots didnt seem to be a prob. i will post it later on after i wash my car of course. the guy did a great job. he had a cad machine to cut out the exact measurements of the windows on his computer. and he took apart the rear deck to get the whole window so NO CUTTING AROUND INVOLVED. i paid 189 for all five windows
Old 03-31-2002, 12:04 PM
Intermediate

i got mine tinted with the formulaone tint reflective. the dots didnt seem to be a prob. i will post it later on after i wash my car of course. the guy did a great job. he had a cad machine to cut out the exact measurements of the windows on his computer. and he took apart the rear deck to get the whole window so NO CUTTING AROUND INVOLVED. i paid 189 for all five windows

Old 03-31-2002, 12:26 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

I got mine tinted last year at Extreme Tint down in Santa Clara..

35% all around.. as you can see, the dotted area is not that even.. with the light and dark spots.. this pic was about 1 week after I got it tinted..

the used a heat gun to apply the tint, so they didn't need to take apart or cut anything once it was on the glass..
the flat parts are very even tho.. but honestly, you won't be able to notice unless you are like 3 feet away from it..

Old 03-31-2002, 02:03 PM
... and my CL-S wuvs me

Hey Edub-TL,

I notice your signature says "02 tails with silver bulbs that blink amber"... what kind of bulbs are those? Are they available for the front turn signals on a CL?
Old 03-31-2002, 02:04 PM
Darth Tator

i think he just painted over a amber bulb
Old 03-31-2002, 02:30 PM
The Screeching Toyo's

Originally posted by riceboy
i think he just painted over a amber bulb
NO!!! They are Sylvania something!!! They are only made in Europe right now. I can't remember where he got them, but they are only available in the twist type, not the wedge type. I spoke with a Sylvania Rep at the LA Auto Show and she said that they had plans to make them available here and in the wedge format too!!! Probably later this year!!!!
Old 03-31-2002, 04:38 PM
... and my CL-S wuvs me

Originally posted by AztecRol

They are Sylvania something!!! They are only made in Europe right now. I can't remember where he got them, but they are only available in the twist type, not the wedge type.
What type do we use on our front signals -- twist or wedge?
(AztecRol: From the posts I've read of yours, I know you're the bulb GOD! )
Old 03-31-2002, 07:44 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Actually, I did just paint these They are not on that long, so I don't worry about them smoking.. but if they were the fronts, I would use something like high temp degree paint just to be safe.

They are amber 1156 bulbs painted with a light coat of silver to get rid of the egg-yolk look. Anyone getting the 03 CLS tails should think about this mod too
The Sylvania bulbs are called SilverVision bulbs, and are only available in a PY21W size, which in the US is the same as 1156 with a modified bayonet..

This will not work in the front signals which are 1157. And there are not any SilverVision bulbs in the 1157 size.

Here is a pic of the bulb and base.
Cost is about $22/pair plus shipping.
Old 03-31-2002, 07:57 PM
Advanced

When I had mine tinted, they painted over the black dots with some sort of black paint so they didn't even have to worry about tinting over them and coming out uneven looking. You can't tell that it has been painted and it looks really, really nice.

Travis
Old 04-01-2002, 05:55 PM
Racer

seems like all shops have a different way to deal with the dot matrix part. I will have to take some pictures of what my TL and my gf's CL looks like to show you guys. The job on the CL isn't too bad, it is a big hazy on the dot matrix part, but pretty even. But on my TL it looks pretty ugly and uneven. I will have to get it fixed.

Hey AztecRol, you can stop by anytime to check out the cars. But I haven't done any interesting mods on them yet. So far only changed the inteior bulb light and the road lamp on the CL. Will have spoilers installed on both soon.