Will CL hold up as well as Ledgend w/ time?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 09:04 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will CL hold up as well as Ledgend w/ time?

What do you all think? I see lots of 10 year old ledgends driving around that still look great. They still look current (unlike say a 10 year old 3 series), and still have an air of class to them. Also, for the coupes at least, re-sale seems to be pretty good considering the age/miles of these cars. Do you think the CL will stand the test of time and be as good 10 years from now as the Ledgend does?
Old 01-13-2003, 09:08 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
i dunno...wasnt that car close to 50K when they discontinued it?
Old 01-13-2003, 09:39 AM
Team Owner

Re: Will CL hold up as well as Ledgend w/ time?

Originally posted by Haus
Do you think the CL will stand the test of time and be as good 10 years from now as the Ledgend does?
No it won’t.

I had a 1991 Legend Coupe 5-Speed and LOVED the body style.
I love my CL-S because of the Engine and all the “bells & whistles” inside, but I do miss my Legend.
It was built MUCH better then the CL is……. IN JAPAN !!!
I kept it CLEAN and many people thought it was only one or two years old in 1999.

You’re right about the value of the car too.
Mine had 110,000 on it and I still got 11,500-dollars when I sold it privately in March of 2000.

For the record in 1995, the last year of the Legend Coupe, it sold for around 43,000 for the “LS” model.

Shawn S
Old 01-13-2003, 09:53 AM
My Home Planet

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Legend was one of the best built cars ever produced. No other car I no of held its value as well, for the price.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:02 AM
Pro

Re: Re: Will CL hold up as well as Ledgend w/ time?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shawn S
[B]No it won’t.

Weren't the CL's transmissions built in Japan? The only major part that wasn't built in the good ole USA and the only major problem in the CL!!!!
Old 01-13-2003, 11:44 AM
whoXwanXsum

Originally posted by joeshmoe
The Legend was one of the best built cars ever produced. No other car I no of held its value as well, for the price.
SO VERY TRUE. the legend is a LEGEND.
Old 01-13-2003, 11:47 AM

Legends were at 44k in 1995 for a loaded GS. And it's spelled L E G E N D
Old 01-13-2003, 12:18 PM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Uh. No way.

The transmission debacle is a huge blemish on the CL/TL.
Old 01-13-2003, 12:40 PM
Racer

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
... And it's spelled L E G E N D
Thanks, having to type these posts quickly at work doesn't do wonders for my already crappy spelling...can we add a spell check to this thing?
Old 01-13-2003, 12:53 PM
Instructor

Am I missing something? Why is everyone always sucking the LEGEND's dick? My buddy bought a '91 Legend coupe in excellent shape last year for less than $7K, and it's a nice car, but I don't see why is deserves all the praise it is getting. When he first got it, he had to put it in the shop to fix problems with the suspension. And $44K for that car in '95?!?!?! That seems a tad steep, I'm surprised Acura sold any. As far as I can tell it's an older squarer version of the CL and TL. I'm not trying to flame anyone here, like I said, I might be missing something here, please fill me in if I am, cuz I would really like to know why everyone thinks this car is the shit.
Old 01-13-2003, 12:57 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by jmeffe
please fill me in if I am, cuz I would really like to know why everyone thinks this car is the shit.
If you’re calling it “older and squarer” then the CL, you’re probably talking about an 89 or 90.
The 91-95 body style is definitely not SQUARE. It was a HUGE improvement from 1990 to 1991.
Kind of like comparing the 1999 CL to a 2001 CL-S.

Shawn S
Old 01-13-2003, 01:18 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Shawn S
If you’re calling it “older and squarer” then the CL, you’re probably talking about an 89 or 90.
You're right, I just looked it up, he has a '90. But I also checked out the 91-95's, and I'm still unsure why that car deserve as much praise to be called "one of the best built cars ever produced". Don't get me wrong, it does look like a very nice car, and I have had no expereince with Honda/Acura before the CL, I'm am just wondering why everyone loves this car some much. Do the seats tickle your balls when you drive or something? I'm not saying you guys are wrong, I just wanna know why everyone thinks they are so bad ass.
Old 01-13-2003, 01:29 PM
Certified Lurker

You're right, I just looked it up, he has a '90. But I also checked out the 91-95's, and I'm still unsure why that car deserve as much praise to be called "one of the best built cars ever produced". Don't get me wrong, it does look like a very nice car, and I have had no expereince with Honda/Acura before the CL, I'm am just wondering why everyone loves this car some much. Do the seats tickle your balls when you drive or something? I'm not saying you guys are wrong, I just wanna know why everyone thinks they are so bad ass.
Drive one and you will understand, just extremly well built and put together, not a crack or rattle to be found.
Old 01-13-2003, 01:37 PM

Am I missing something? Why is everyone always sucking the LEGEND's dick? My buddy bought a '91 Legend coupe in excellent shape last year for less than $7K, and it's a nice car, but I don't see why is deserves all the praise it is getting. When he first got it, he had to put it in the shop to fix problems with the suspension. And $44K for that car in '95?!?!?! That seems a tad steep, I'm surprised Acura sold any. As far as I can tell it's an older squarer version of the CL and TL. I'm not trying to flame anyone here, like I said, I might be missing something here, please fill me in if I am, cuz I would really like to know why everyone thinks this car is the shit.
Let me guess. Your friend bought a 91 Legend with 253,832 miles on the 23rd owner and ya'll are wondering why it has problems. He'll probably thow some EPIC split spokes on it with the wrong tire size cause he's a balla.

I wanted a Legend, nuff said. Impeccable build quality inside and out. Timeless good looks. Decent performance. No aftermarket support though. Hell, the 1st gens were great cars as well. Gotta love the drop down rear windows in the coupes. Just a really nice car. GS 95s had a 6-speed manual and the V-6 tweaked at 230hp.
Old 01-13-2003, 01:39 PM
The Acura Granddaddy

I'm not saying you guys are wrong, I just wanna know why everyone thinks they are so bad ass.
Couple of the features found on the Legend Coupe only to get lost in the Acura-gulag.

Telescoping Steering wheel, it gets out of your way when you remove the key.

Magnetic doors, the doors suck themselves closed in the last 1/2 1/4 inch.

Roll down rear windows, the only coupe I have seen where you can roll these down.

230HP Type II offered in 1993
5 and 6 speeds in both coupes and sedans

All the ususal luxuries as well, heated seats, climate control etc,

What the Legend truely represents was when Acura was top dog in the Jap-Luxo market. The Legend can hold its own against MBZ and BMW's of the time as well, even w/o a V8 offering. And yes, at 45K they were a higer class veichle than the current RL. Many a rap star quoted rolling in the Legend much like the Bently's today. (Bad comparison I know) Ludacris's favorite car was his 93 Sedan. The Legends are so affordable right now that you get a tremendous amout of value for your dollar.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:00 PM
Suzuka Master

My Dad is still driving the 4dr he bought in '90, lol.
Runs great, low maintenance. It sits so low to the ground, because of the worn suspension parts, that you might think it's lowered.
It's gangsta white with dark tinted windows, and gold package emblems.

-------------
But to answer your question, only if the CL transmission holds up.
Otherwise the motor will seemingly last forever! And it barely consumes any gas! I get 30 mpg at the very least these days.
And I estimate my max fuel efficiency to be about 45mpg.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:12 PM
Instructor

Cool, THX for all the info on the Legend, now I understand that credit is being given where credit is due. I was unaware of all the features and that it was nicer than the RL.
SickLex, I know it has less than 200K, I dont know which owner he is, and did you say "balla"? I haven't heard anyone use that since Skee Lo wished he was a little bit taller No he didn't fuck it up, it looks real classy and clean, with OEM rims.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:16 PM
Racer

Originally posted by LegendC
. Many a rap star quoted rolling in the Legend much like the Bently's today. (Bad comparison I know) Ludacris's favorite car was his 93 Sedan. The Legends are so affordable right now that you get a tremendous amout of value for your dollar.
"Now my Moms rolls an Ac" - Biggie
Old 01-13-2003, 03:11 PM
Team Owner

Check out the standard features list.
Not bad for a 8-year old vehicle huh ???

The Legend was WAAAAAY ahead of its time.

Shawn S

Old 01-13-2003, 03:27 PM
Pro

Originally posted by IntegraVT
Uh. No way.

The transmission debacle is a huge blemish on the CL/TL.
IntegraVT: if you're referring to the my post (louisn) that the transmissions were made in Japan, one word for you: WAY!!!!!
Old 01-13-2003, 03:34 PM
Stealthy A-CL Member

Received 24 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by louisn
IntegraVT: if you're referring to the my post (louisn) that the transmissions were made in Japan, one word for you: WAY!!!!!
Hehe, nawh, I know that. I was just answering the topic question: "Will CL hold up as well as Ledgend w/ time? "
Old 01-13-2003, 03:35 PM

SickLex, I know it has less than 200K, I dont know which owner he is, and did you say "balla"? I haven't heard anyone use that since Skee Lo wished he was a little bit taller No he didn't fuck it up, it looks real classy and clean, with OEM rims.
Dude, you took that like a "G". Tell him, KEEP IT CLEAN AND CLASSEY!

RL shares 40% of it's parts with the Legend.
Roll down rear windows, the only coupe I have seen where you can roll these down.
Mercedes Benz S class coupe and new CL coupe and the new CLK coupe have this feature as well.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:20 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
ACURA Legend: Genuine Mercedes Benz Replacement Part
Old 01-13-2003, 06:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Old 01-13-2003, 07:44 PM
GEEZER

Received 2,214 Likes on 1,418 Posts
Originally posted by Y2K3CL-S
ACURA Legend: Genuine Mercedes Benz Replacement Part
PERFECT!
Old 01-13-2003, 08:21 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've heard many people talk about Acura's cars .. but one thing is fairly common amongst the "gossip" and that is Acura hasn't built a high quality car since the Legend. With the demise of the Legend came Acura's shift from quality/customer service to performance. I've heard people say that they are trying to become the Pontiac of foreign brands (anyone see the Grand Am-ish interior of the RSX?). And based on my experience with my '02 CL-S .. I haveta say that Pontiac is light years ahead of Acura!

It's pretty sad when I see more Legends on the road (my co-worker is still driving her '93 like it was brand new) than I see RL/TL/CL's combined!
Old 01-13-2003, 08:22 PM
A-CL Zen Buddha Master

Re: Re: Will CL hold up as well as Ledgend w/ time?

Originally posted by Shawn S
No it won’t.

I had a 1991 Legend Coupe 5-Speed and LOVED the body style.
I love my CL-S because of the Engine and all the “bells & whistles” inside, but I do miss my Legend.
I kept it CLEAN and many people thought it was only one or two years old in 1999.

You’re right about the value of the car too.
Mine had 110,000 on it and I still got 11,500-dollars when I sold it privately in March of 2000.

For the record in 1995, the last year of the Legend Coupe, it sold for around 43,000 for the “LS” model.

Shawn S
Shawn...remember the thread about CL resale value / discontinuation...and you said you based your comments on the history of the Legend coupe? What you said above is exactly why I don't think comparing the CL to the Legend Coupe is fair. But I digress...continue with the thread please.
Old 01-13-2003, 08:35 PM
Certified Lurker

Originally posted by DivinDude
I've heard many people talk about Acura's cars .. but one thing is fairly common amongst the "gossip" and that is Acura hasn't built a high quality car since the Legend. With the demise of the Legend came Acura's shift from quality/customer service to performance. I've heard people say that they are trying to become the Pontiac of foreign brands (anyone see the Grand Am-ish interior of the RSX?). And based on my experience with my '02 CL-S .. I haveta say that Pontiac is light years ahead of Acura!

It's pretty sad when I see more Legends on the road (my co-worker is still driving her '93 like it was brand new) than I see RL/TL/CL's combined!
This is one of the most insane posts ive ever read.....first of all, to say that PONTIAC is light years ahead of acura is just ludicrus, no matter what the problems you had with your perticular car is, its not near the shitty quailty of ANY pontiac car. Secondly, to say you see more legends on the road then cl tl rl combined is insane...im not sure exactly where you live, but by me, almost every 5th car on the road is a TL, and i also see lots of RL's on the road (though not alot of CL's)
Old 01-13-2003, 08:38 PM
Cruisin'

i bought a new 1987 legend 4 door in 1988. i drove it for 10 years enjoying it very much and put 275k on it. mainly brakes and tires but some front end work at the end. i remember when i sold it (@1500.00) i drove it for the last time and then got into my new 1997 accord se and thought that the accord drove only slightly better. i also remember looking at the 3.2 tl when it first came out and was astonished at the difference in parts quality between the legend and the 3.2tl (door handles plastic vs metal). the legend was a really well built car.
Old 01-13-2003, 09:15 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by DivinDude
And based on my experience with my '02 CL-S .. I haveta say that Pontiac is light years ahead of Acura!
HA…HA…HA…That’s funny.

Thanks for the laugh.

Shawn S
Old 01-13-2003, 09:20 PM
Team Owner

Re: Re: Re: Will CL hold up as well as Ledgend w/ time?

Originally posted by runis
Shawn...remember the thread about CL resale value / discontinuation...and you said you based your comments on the history of the Legend coupe?
Like I said in the other thread, I used my experience with the Legend Coupe based on the availability of the car, which is similar to the 6-Speed CL-S.
Quality issues never really came up in that one.

Shawn S
Old 01-14-2003, 06:19 PM
Racer

How do you like this backward situation?

Our 2000 TL-P 134,573 miles

Our 1991 Legend 62,500 miles

Both bulletproof so far!
Old 01-14-2003, 07:30 PM
2nd Gear

The Legend was the first to have a 6-speed tranny as well. 230hp out of a non vtec SOHC engine is a very good feat as well.
Old 01-14-2003, 11:24 PM
Intermediate

Wow, thanks guys. It's nice to see fellow Acura owners giving respect where respect is due. I was fortunate to own 3 Acura Legend Coupes over my time. my first was a 91 L Coupe, then a 95 LS Coupe which I gave to my wife and got myself a used 93 LS Coupe with 6-Speed. I sold the 95 to my brother who fully enjoys it and just recently sold my 6-Speed to my sister. I loved those cars and wish I could have keept the 6-Speed Coupe; however, I recently bought a used 2 seater Acura and we really needed a 4 door automatic as a practical car. Anyway. one thing I really do like in the 6-Speed CL is the 6-Speed transmission. IT really does feel really good with its shorter shifts. Anyway, I'm sort of an old time member but I usually just read and not post too much Enjoy your CL's
Old 01-15-2003, 12:43 AM
2nd Gear

used two seater Acura...hmmmm...not too many come to mind except an NSX.

Have two Legends myself and they are both...L E G E N D s

1994 Acura Legend GS Sedan
1994 Acura Legend LS Coupe
1993.5 Toyota Supra Turbo
1997 Lexus LX450
Old 01-15-2003, 01:02 AM
1st Gear

Hey All,
I just wanted to stop by and say thanks for all the kind words about Legends. You made it to our forum Acura-Legend.com . You are right about the difference between a Legend and a CL. I thought you would like a few facts on the Legend:
Longitudely (sp) mounted engine
200-230 Hp
5 or 6 spd Manual (of course auto)
I looked at the new CL-S. I was excited to hear that the 6-spd was back. I got in and was shocked. It is so small on the inside. I am well over 6ft and fit very well in my Legend. One thing to note is that the RL is the replacement for the Legend. It is still called the Legend everywhere else in the world.
Later!
Lee
Our thread about your thread.
Old 01-15-2003, 05:41 AM
legendarylegendz.com

Thanks guys...

those of you that have never driven or rode in a Legend...find a buddy and take it for a spin. you will be surprised...as they said be fore....a car ahead of its time!

check out the

legend temple

OLD pic of my car http://www.legendarylegendz.com/files/jas_8.jpg
http://www.legendarylegendz.com/jasmyn_02.html

Pic of badd ass
http://www.legendarylegendz.com/baddass.HTML

thank you all for your positive reenforcement of Acura's most loved Luxury vehicle.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:36 AM
Grumpy old man

Well I guess I got to jump in with all the other Legend owners and say thanks for the positive comments on our cars.

Now for my engineers comments on the actual question. Durability is a function of design, component/material selection and quality control. The only design/material deficiency apparent to me is the well known transmission issue. Some may say quality is better on Japan assembled cars but I would argue the standards set are the same and I can't imagine that cars leaving the US plant are not meeting those standards.

Once the transmission issue is fully corrected, I would expect a nonthrashed, properly maintained CL will be a 300K car just like the Legend. As with any machine, parts will wear and fail, just keep up with everything.

G2 Legends are not without their reliability issues. Radiator top tanks crack (and if not caught often leads to blown head gaskets), drivers door lock actuator fails (controls all doors and alarm system), rear tranny mount fails, master cylinder goes at 90K, Bose stereo recalled as fire hazard and fails frequently.

You CL folks are lucky in that you enjoy pretty good aftermarket support.
Old 01-15-2003, 11:31 AM
Certified Lurker

I gotta tell you, good people over on that Legend fourm, you guys got great cars, my 89 L sedan is a monster, i think i could drive that thing off a clif and it would still run, i dont know what i would do without that thing, and my mother has a 95 L sedan with 53,000 miles on it, and that thing rides like a dream. I would love to have a 6 speed legend coupe, but there just impossible to find
Old 01-15-2003, 02:04 PM
SHIFT_over.so.I.can.see

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My car before my recent CLS 6speed was a 4dr Legend '91. If some bad driver didn't hit me in the side and total out my Legend I'd still be driving it today. The CLS is nice and all but not quite as roomy nor as classy as the Legend was. The design on it was definetely timeless.

HOWEVER it does have one fatal flaw.

The electrical system in that car sucks. Shorts and blown fuses all the time. It's not just my car but many others as Consumer Reports has noted.

PLUS the automatic transmission on that puppy shifted WAY too hard. It would rock back and forth over the years and eventually crumble the mounts. On a cold shift from Park to D4 the gear slammed itself in just as it would if you'd put the pedal to the metal.

Other than that the car was a dream to drive and with a nice set of wheels and a system will still catch eyes.

Quick Reply: Will CL hold up as well as Ledgend w/ time?