Why do you think the CL didn't sell when new?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 05:38 PM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TypeStylinOnU
well RL's got advertising and they didnt do that well either...but they still keep making them :S i think they should have brought back the CL
the rl is overpriced imo, there are much nicer cars out there for the same price

we all know that acura hasn't established a name for itself yet. no one really cares for acuras, for the price range of the TL, many people much rather have the bmw 3-series... maybe an a4.

acura isn't known for anything really other than being a honda company.

bmw has their m3,m5,m6, audi has their rs and s lines, merc has amg, toyota has their is-f, and that gs is damn sexy...

what does acura have?? nsx? its a great handling car, but lacks power. acura/honda fanboy here, but honda/acura has to step up their game.... sadly reliability doesn't cut it for consumers, the popular cars are the performance cars...
Old 05-20-2008, 08:20 PM
dont be mad

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LIPPSTUH
the rl is overpriced imo, there are much nicer cars out there for the same price

we all know that acura hasn't established a name for itself yet. no one really cares for acuras, for the price range of the TL, many people much rather have the bmw 3-series... maybe an a4.

bmw has their m3,m5,m6, audi has their rs and s lines, merc has amg, toyota has their is-f, and that gs is damn sexy...

what does acura have?? nsx? its a great handling car, but lacks power. acura/honda fanboy here, but honda/acura has to step up their game.... sadly reliability doesn't cut it for consumers, the popular cars are the performance cars...

yea i totally agree with you.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:24 AM
Keeping the Stealth alive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LIPPSTUH

That's funny -- I see more Acura TL's on the road than I do any of the other cars you listed. Honda really doesn't cater much to the specialty crowd, and if you're into that type of stuff, I really don't feel a Honda is even a consideration in the first place.

I do agree that you can get better performance oriented cars within the price range of a new Acura, but again, that's not at all Honda's priority.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:58 AM
Rollin the SRT8 or my CLS

The CL is a jack of all trades as Green Monster said, I totally agree. It's all around a fun car to have.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:30 PM
2003 Acura 3.2CL Type-S

Advertising is a neccesity for almost any car except those ultra premium exotics and high end cars such as Ferrari and Bentley and other brands where the Brand Name says it all. However, I also think the FWD part and automatic transmission helped to kill it, look at other coupes such as those by Lexus and Infiniti, most of which are RWD and offered in a manual transmission. This wasn't really the class of car I was looking into when it first came out nor did I have the knowledge that I do now but those are the things that I think led it's being discontinued.

Looking purely from a performance oriented standpoint, which isn't what these cars were marketed for, it is a heavy car, with a very biased Front:Rear Weight distribution ratio. However, I think it handles rather well for it's size and akward distribution. Someone earlier mentioned the Prelude dying out as well, the Prelude is also a very heavy chassis, although this also wasn't really being marketed to the crowd who has them now, I'm also a Prelude owner, but their weight undoubtedly affects these two cars in the performance arena, if you look both at the aftermarket support for these cars and their trackability to that of a lighter chassis such as an Integra or Civic. I guess I'm rambling on a little now.

Anyways, that's my .02 Cents. The CL and Prelude are both great at what they do, offering some sporty performance mixed with some luxuries in a great looking package, it's just a shame that it took so long for people to notice, otherwise both of these could still very well be in production today.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:56 PM
Racer

sold well enough.
best value sport coupe in 2000. ( about 10k less then 3 series bmw, new)
excellent engine, excellent styling, well built.
owned 8 yrs , absolutely nothing has broken or needed replacement no rattles, still tight as new
personally, i am v glad i dont see myself comming down the road! (milwaukee is infested with
grey bimmers, saabs and the like)
Old 05-22-2008, 08:09 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by CL6
All the things that made the CL a poor choice when new... bland styling, large size, FWD, big butt, true 2+2 seating, poor resale made it great to buy as a used car.

I always figured if you're going to give up two extra doors you better get some hot styling, potent motor, awesome handling, etc. The CL couldn't necessarily deliver in those areas so people just ignored it. I sold about 15 CLs including a few 6 speeds but I agree that the buyers were white guys in their 50s mostly.
That must be just in the area where you live. I've owned my CL-S for 2 years and I've only seen one or two guys in their 50's driving a CL-S. Everyone else I've seen has been 30 somethings and under and that' s from observing CL-S owners all over the Southeastern side of the US.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:53 AM
Racer

Not that I'm being defensive or anything but a lot of posters in this thread aren't giving credit where credit is due for the CL-S. As with the NSX, Acura designed the CL-S for a specific purpose and both cars delivered exactly what the manufacturer intended for them to deliver. When the NSX came out it had the best power to weight ratio and exotic styling but people said the cost was too high but it was every bit of a supercar for nearly a fraction of the cost.

The CL-S was targeted toward the baby boomer crowd that wanted to recapture their youth but still have a touch of luxury. Acura also entended the CL-S to outperform the BMW 3 Series and that is exactly what the CL-S did. Now you have people running around nearly a decade later complaining about the CL-S being slow and heavy in comparison to higher end, later model, more high performance-oriented cars.

Both cars, the NSX and the CL-S, are still very capable, competative cars considering how old they are. They both have nearly timeless styling and many manufacturers are just now putting out V6 engines that are pushing the 260 envelope and above, many still hovering around the 215hp threshold. There is nothing on the road today that is equipped like a used CL-S for the price.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:19 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

The NSX still serves its purpose simply for the power-to-weight ratio factor, not to mention its reliability and its high tech construction. The NSX was the first aluminum-bodied production car, and not many cars are aluminum to this day. I have driven a few NSXes over the years and they all handled very well, though I didn't even push the car to 30% of what it could do. The fact that they were all hand-assembled lends even more to its aura and even with the high mark-ups on the first year models they all sold out.

Even today, the CL-S is still quite a car and its 260 hp still isn't too shabby, especially if you have a 6 speed. Some cars are timeless, like an Integra Type R, an NSX, or a CL-S 6 speed.

The fact is, when Mr. Honda died, Acura lost its way. Dick Colliver is just such a moron and his stupid cheerleading looks even more absurd when you look at how that company has performed during the past few years.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:24 PM
CL-SEXY SIX (=

Originally Posted by implicit
0 advertising. At least around here ... I always see ads for 3rd Gen TLs ... never saw anything for the CLs.

Which also explains why non car people have no idea what we're driving.....
I got alot of people calling my car a "TL"...
"oh hey, you drive that TL right?" lol..
Old 05-23-2008, 12:27 AM
P.

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Sideswipe
Not that I'm being defensive or anything but a lot of posters in this thread aren't giving credit where credit is due for the CL-S. As with the NSX, Acura designed the CL-S for a specific purpose and both cars delivered exactly what the manufacturer intended for them to deliver. When the NSX came out it had the best power to weight ratio and exotic styling but people said the cost was too high but it was every bit of a supercar for nearly a fraction of the cost.

The CL-S was targeted toward the baby boomer crowd that wanted to recapture their youth but still have a touch of luxury. Acura also entended the CL-S to outperform the BMW 3 Series and that is exactly what the CL-S did. Now you have people running around nearly a decade later complaining about the CL-S being slow and heavy in comparison to higher end, later model, more high performance-oriented cars.

Both cars, the NSX and the CL-S, are still very capable, competative cars considering how old they are. They both have nearly timeless styling and many manufacturers are just now putting out V6 engines that are pushing the 260 envelope and above, many still hovering around the 215hp threshold. There is nothing on the road today that is equipped like a used CL-S for the price.
!!!!!
Old 05-31-2008, 02:50 AM
Banned

high horsepower and fwd just aren't very compatible
Old 05-31-2008, 09:03 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by spoolindc5
I think you need to tell the owners of these cars that.

The person responsible for this tiny terror is veteran drag racer and NASCAR engine builder Larry Widmer. He has more time inside Boss 429 Mustangs than just about anybody, and that includes serious dragsters and a truly wicked street Boss with an ex-Can-Am aluminum-block monster motor sporting four 58-mm Webers, dry sump and stainless-steel 180-degree headers. That’s the kind of car you could expect a guy who made cylinder heads for Roger Penske to sport around in. But after two bouts with cancer and concentrating his business (Endyn Energy Dynamics) on government propulsion programs and NASCAR manifold development, the killer ‘Stang had to go. But he missed having a seriously fast street car, and by 1989 he was looking for something fun to take its place.

Ironically, Widmer was working on a program for Toyota when he asked one of its engineers what car he recommended as the basis for a hot street machine. Much to Widmer’s surprise, the engineer immediately responded, "Honda Civic Si." So in 1989 Widmer became the proud owner of an icebox-white Civic Si, which combines the intimidation factor of a rusty Yugo with the styling flair of a rubber doorstop. It’s invisible to the men in blue and completely devoid of the lurid decals so beloved of the import cruiser crowd. Widmer has even removed the Si emblem and delights in the faded paintwork and liberal application of bird droppings that add to the Q-ship appeal. The only things that hint at its true character are the slightly lowered stance and black Kasei Racing 15" X 7" rims sporting shaved 195-50 Bridgestones. But under the hood lurks pure evil!

So just how evil? How about 487 hp @ 7,300 rpm on the dyno, and enough torque to require a Quaife torque-sensing limited-slip unit to control the front end! Such numbers are not impressive in themselves--any full-race Honda dragster can meet or beat these figures, but what sets this car apart is its amazing streetability. Able to pass a tough Texas smog test and still turn in a thrifty 29.3 mpg (combined). Dependable? The rear seat is not left out purely to save weight – it also provides space for packing in rows of engines and heads to fulfill the Civic’s daily role as the Endyn parts chaser.

http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicl..._si/index.html
Old 05-31-2008, 09:24 AM
I Wanna Beer

Received 108 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by spoolindc5
I wouldn't call 260HP "high horsepower". It's not a purpose built race car and it has no problem putting the power to the ground. The power is adequate for passing and getting up to highway speeds. It's not made to be a 1/4 mile racer.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:46 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Torque steer is always a problem and 260 is historically a high horsepower number. The fastest 'muscle cars' of the 60s and 70s didn't even have this much power. Depends how you drive the car but RWD would be the only thing I'd change out this car.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CL6
Torque steer is always a problem and 260 is historically a high horsepower number. The fastest 'muscle cars' of the 60s and 70s didn't even have this much power. Depends how you drive the car but RWD would be the only thing I'd change out this car.
My next car will probably be RWD, and I might just keep the CL around as a winter beater

Torgue steer is minimized by the LSD on the CLS 6spd, so you won't sense torque steer 90% of the time... It's only when you're driving the car hard that it's apparent, and the CL wasn't meant to be a sportscar (like the s2000 or NSX), but more of a grand touring type of car....

I think that's one of the CL's problems... It's the jack of all trades, master of none...
Old 05-31-2008, 06:25 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

i agree it's not a g35-type car and the lsd does help for sure however it would be better with RWD.

There's a reason true sports cars aren't FWD.
Old 05-31-2008, 09:17 PM
B A N N E D

I really feel what this guy is saying....
Old 05-31-2008, 09:18 PM
B A N N E D

I really feeling what this guy is saying....
Old 05-31-2008, 11:01 PM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Harrisonk531616
I got alot of people calling my car a "TL"...
"oh hey, you drive that TL right?" lol..
quoted for truth
Old 06-01-2008, 07:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Also FWD saves alot of weight, and is great for anyone who lives up north in the snow belt....
Old 06-01-2008, 08:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ChucksCL-S
Also FWD saves alot of weight, and is great for anyone who lives up north in the snow belt....
That's marketing hype... While there is no arguing that FWD is better in snow, the reason for automakers going to FWD was cost. They can make more money by packaging the drivetrain up front in both the design and building stages... Any weight savings is coincidental (and limited to 100lbs at most).

The RWD supra didn't weigh much (3219lbs and 3486lbs for the turbo)... My CL 6spd weighs in at 3446 lbs (autos are 3510)... The RWD BMW 135 weights in less than the CL @ 3373 lbs. The upcoming RWD Hyundia Genesis coupe is expected to weigh in @ 3549 lbs (v6 model).
Old 06-01-2008, 08:43 AM
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Originally Posted by GreenMonster

Marketing had a lot to do with it (I think)... They were trying to sell the CL to aging baby boomers and empty nesters... that's not the core demographic here on the CL forum.

The CL is a great car, but it's what I call a "compromise car". Sporty, but not a sportscar, Luxury, but entry level luxury. A great value, but FWD... It's kind of a jack of all trades, master of none... It does everything you need, but really doesn't jump out in any one category...

While I love the styling, I agree that it's bland...
Perfectly worded.
Old 06-01-2008, 02:55 PM
2003 CL Type-S A/T SSM

I just bought my '03 CL-S a week ago from a used lot where they gave it to me dirt cheap because they had it sitting around for a year unable to find anyone to buy it. $10,000 out -the-door with 67k miles on it, no body damage, no extensive engine wear, no title issues -- the old lady who owned it before me just decided she didn't want it anymore and bought a Mercedez. I took one look at the car and fell in love, I didn't expect to find that at the Subaru used lot at all.

I actually did hear about these cars when they first came out, but had just barely started driving and didn't have the money to buy a new one. Idunno about "bland", I've always considered these babies to be beautifully sleek-n-simple cars, moreso because you don't expect the power they have from how they look...

Now all I can think about is whether I wanna start with some basic aesthetic mods or some performance! :-)

My first A/T vehicle I've owned (sadly), yet so far my favorite to drive. :-D