why are corvette owners so touchy

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2001, 06:25 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why are corvette owners so touchy

Man , I was talking to this owner of a 99 vetter coupe and he asked me what I thought of them . I said I like them except for two reasons , no power top option with convertible ( I mean sure it is a little heavier but well worth the convenience ) , secondly the interior looks cheap, I mean it looks like all other ponitacs ( I used the grandam and sunfire as an example) . Man he exploded. Going on about how they are not similar at all and how people keep saying stupid shit like that. And went on and on. Why are they so damn touchy , I mean if I ask someone what they thought and they said they didnt like something I would understand , it is their damn opinion.
Old 07-13-2001, 06:28 PM
Banned

Its a well known fact that Corvettes are bought by middle aged, balding, white men with small dicks. You're insulting his dick.
Old 07-13-2001, 06:28 PM
SatinCL

too much fiber in their diet.

I know that was really bad. :o

Hey, I try......
Old 07-13-2001, 06:33 PM
Banned

Exactly....hehe..the only thing that is fairly nice on the interior are the seats...
Originally posted by mdaniel:
<STRONG>Its a well known fact that Corvettes are bought by middle aged, balding, white men with small dicks. You're insulting his dick.</STRONG>
Old 07-13-2001, 06:42 PM
Pro

funny cause that just about describes him. middle aged , slightly balding white guy.
well the theory never fails.
I guess they feel if they paid $45K for this POS they deserve some respect.
Old 07-13-2001, 07:20 PM
Racer

relax with the white man with the small dick comment why couldnt he just have a small dick you have to add the "white man" in there. grow up
Old 07-13-2001, 07:24 PM
Fahrvergnügen'd

Received 1,569 Likes on 986 Posts
Originally posted by Southpaw:
<STRONG>relax with the white man with the small dick comment why couldnt he just have a small dick you have to add the "white man" in there. grow up</STRONG>
I gotta say that's the first time I've ever seen someone say that.

Fight the power my brother! Don't let the man hold us down!
Old 07-13-2001, 07:24 PM
Pro

didnt mean to offend anyone. I apologize.
Old 07-13-2001, 07:27 PM
Pro

hey southpaw you dont have a vette do you ? Is that why you were so offended
Old 07-13-2001, 07:28 PM
Adrienne

Originally posted by charliemike:
<STRONG>

I gotta say that's the first time I've ever seen someone say that.

Fight the power my brother! Don't let the man hold us down!</STRONG>

ROFL... lol
Old 07-13-2001, 07:30 PM
Banned

Hey, I broght up the white guy and I'm white so chill. Vette owners are usually middle aged and white because it takes a bit of cash to buy one. I guess someone of any race can buy a sports car to make up for a small dick, but you've got to have the money first.
Old 07-13-2001, 07:43 PM
Racer

i dont have a vette but i have a small dick hahahahahahahaah i shouldnt be so touchy oh just kiddig about the small dick part
Old 07-13-2001, 08:33 PM
Banned

Alright girls.....enough about the 'small dicks'.....that's fowl and wrong.

But ya'll are pretty much right about the middle aged, and all. I actually hooked up with this stipper in Vegas who drove one and we were flying down 'The Strip' going like 95 at three-thirty in the morning weavin' in and out of traffic!!! Fuckin' surreal!!!!
Old 07-13-2001, 09:07 PM
Dan
Safety Car

Received 220 Likes on 127 Posts
It is because all the rattles drive them nuts. On a tour of the Corvette assembly plant in KY there was a booth at the end of final assembly where they came back in from the road test, it was marked "squeaks & rattles". I asked the tour guide if that was where they were installed! I got the impression the Corvette fans on the tour would have liked to hang me. Touchy people indeed.
Old 07-13-2001, 09:15 PM
Instructor

oh, you're just jealous! :p :p :p

OK - so I'm not a stereotypical 'Vette owner. 36 year old white male with a larger than normal dick. I do own 1 gold chain, but it's a very small crucifix I've worn continously since age 16. Z06 is the best performance value out there IMHO and I could afford it. Baddest ass sports car I've ever driven & I love the fuck3r - cheap plastic and all!

$0.02

[ 07-13-2001: Message edited by: volsfan0911 ]
Old 07-13-2001, 11:31 PM
Banned

I was wondering how how it would take to get your attention.
Old 07-14-2001, 01:00 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by mdaniel:
<STRONG>I was wondering how how it would take to get your attention.</STRONG>
:p :p :p

[ 07-13-2001: Message edited by: volsfan0911 ]
Old 07-14-2001, 02:24 AM
Intermediate

Relax everyone,

I own a '79 Vette & a '97 CL. Please do not mention the CL in the same breath with the Vette, especially the new Vettes. The Vette is a powerful V8 with a lot of torque and makes the CL feel like a toy car.
Old 07-14-2001, 02:31 AM
Banned

You're the only one comparing the two. A V8 vette is faster than a 4cyl 2.2L CL. Big surprise.
Old 07-14-2001, 02:40 AM
Advanced

The Vette is an incredible car. It's far from a "POS" as mentioned earlier. The Corvette fulfills its intended purpose perfectly: To be a great handling, very fast sports car and cost a fraction of what other sports cars do, and still outperform them!! It's not meant to be a luxury car, and I've never seen it advertised as such. It's also completely different than the Pontiacs IMO. I had a 99 Grand Am GT so I know first hand.
Old 07-16-2001, 03:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,451 Likes on 3,769 Posts
Originally posted by thholr:
<STRONG>Man , I was talking to this owner of a 99 vetter coupe and he asked me what I thought of them . I said I like them except for two reasons , no power top option with convertible ( I mean sure it is a little heavier but well worth the convenience ) , secondly the interior looks cheap, I mean it looks like all other ponitacs ( I used the grandam and sunfire as an example) . Man he exploded. Going on about how they are not similar at all and how people keep saying stupid shit like that. And went on and on. Why are they so damn touchy , I mean if I ask someone what they thought and they said they didnt like something I would understand , it is their damn opinion.</STRONG>

Same reason cl-s owners are: WE LOVE our cars!!
Old 07-16-2001, 03:19 PM
Instructor

Yeah, the sensitivity is understandable. I don't know many Acura drivers that like being reminded that their car shares switchgear (among other parts) with inexpensive Hondas. It doesn't make them the same in other ways, does it? (Disclaimer: I'm not bagging on Honda's or Acuras. I'm a BIG fan of Honda's approach to performance through technology)

It does seem that guys (myself included) get a little more attached to their cars and tend to take things about them more personally...
Old 07-16-2001, 03:46 PM
Banned

I personally don't think that the guy over-reacted. Its understandable since it is a huge investment on his part and he seems to enjoy it. He could have bought something else for $45k but he didn't, he bought the Vette because he liked it. As stated in numerous threads prior to this one, every car has its flaws. No one likes to have their flaws pointed out, they already know it.

My M3 has flaws, I just don't them to be pointed out since its 'kills' the driving pleasure later on in the car. Your CLSs have driving flaws and you guys don't like to hear of them because its a low blow to your driving experience.

Whenever someone asks me about their car in person, I usually always point out the 'pros' of the car and leave the 'cons' for the simple minded to point out. Just IMHO.
Old 07-16-2001, 03:54 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by volsfan0911:
OK - so I'm not a stereotypical 'Vette owner. 36 year old white male with a smaller than normal dick. I do own 1 gold chain, but it's a very big crucifix I've worn continously since age 16. Z06 is the best performance value out there IMHO and I could afford it. Baddest ass sports car I've ever driven & I love the fuck3r - cheap plastic and all!

$0.02

[ 07-13-2001: Message edited by: volsfan0911 ][/QB]
Sorry volsfan, just had to do that
Old 07-16-2001, 04:05 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Patryn:
<STRONG>The Vette is an incredible car. It's far from a "POS" as mentioned earlier. The Corvette fulfills its intended purpose perfectly: To be a great handling, very fast sports car and cost a fraction of what other sports cars do, and still outperform them!! It's not meant to be a luxury car, and I've never seen it advertised as such. It's also completely different than the Pontiacs IMO. I had a 99 Grand Am GT so I know first hand. </STRONG>
The Corvette fulfills its intended purpose perfectly: To be a great handling car.....dude please vette's suck handling wise....where are you getting your information? everytime a vette goes around a corner they lose there rear end all day long...they suck handling wise...make sure you get the facts right before you speak...later
Old 07-16-2001, 04:11 PM
Banned

What?!?!?!?!?

The new C5 Vettes will hand you your ass on a silver platter if you were to hit the twisties with it! As good as my M3 handles in the S curves, even I would be a little hesitant about going up against a C5 in the curves. Have you ever taken a C5 through some curves? Its not excellent crisp handling like a Ferrari, but its still pretty damn good for a 385hp car for $50k (Z06)!

QUOTE]Originally posted by SILVER-GREAT-WHITE-TYPE-S:
<STRONG>

The Corvette fulfills its intended purpose perfectly: To be a great handling car.....dude please vette's suck handling wise....where are you getting your information? everytime a vette goes around a corner they lose there rear end all day long...they suck handling wise...make sure you get the facts right before you speak...later
</STRONG>[/QUOTE]
Old 07-16-2001, 04:18 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by M3Sins:
<STRONG>
The new C5 Vettes will hand you your ass on a silver platter if you were to hit the twisties with it! As good as my M3 handles in the S curves, even I would be a little hesitant about going up against a C5 in the curves.
</STRONG>[/QUOTE]

Hmmm..... The C5 does handle pretty well for sure, but you say that you'd be hesitant with your M3?

Even Corvette loyalists recognize that the Vette is simply too heavy and wide to compete with a smaller/lighter more nimble car like the M3.
Old 07-16-2001, 04:33 PM
Instructor

I LOVE my vette. The handling is great. They do have a problem though mid corner if you hit a bumb. That has a lot to do with the EMT's. THERE ARE NO RATTLES OR SQUEAKS! The car is a beast from a stop, roll, in the twistys, etc. Oh- and it gets me 23 mpg driving it HARD! Sure the top is a little bit of a PITA- but it goes down and keeps me dry when its up.
Old 07-16-2001, 04:36 PM
Banned

Tom2:

Thats just my personal opinion. I would be hesitant due to the power difference between the two cars. However, if the course was VERY tight, I know I would walk away. But majority of courses with curves have a good amount of straights and thats what would get me thinking about it twice...
Originally posted by Tom2:
<STRONG>

Hmmm..... The C5 does handle pretty well for sure, but you say that you'd be hesitant with your M3?

Even Corvette loyalists recognize that the Vette is simply too heavy and wide to compete with a smaller/lighter more nimble car like the M3.</STRONG>
Old 07-16-2001, 09:18 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by SILVER-GREAT-WHITE-TYPE-S:
<STRONG>

</STRONG>
I have my facts straight and I'm not smoking crack, unlike some I could mention. <cough, cough> I had a 98SS Camaro and I know how that car handled in the turns. It did get loose if you pushed it, but the Vette is a hell of a lot more stable than my Camaro was. I wouldn't think about doing a fraction of the things I did in that car in my CL. I'd be dead for sure. Ever hear of "steering with the throttle"? I don't know if you're just not used to a RWD car or what, but they handle loads better than my Acura ever will.
Old 07-17-2001, 09:17 PM
Instructor

bah. 01 Vetter here.

Im Asian. (i guess Im also not 'true to my roots' caus I dont drive Japanese right?)

I have hair... :P

I think although the Vette interior is not the best.. it is by far better than any other American car. The dash is not plastic... its some weird mix of ... god knows what.

I could go on and on about technology... HUD, Active Handling, etc.. but frankly.. if you havent driven a Vette.. u just wouldnt understand.

If you were around here.. Id be happy to turn you into a believer

[ 07-17-2001: Message edited by: magnetic1 ]
Old 07-17-2001, 09:20 PM
Banned

Originally posted by magnetic1:
<STRONG>bah. 01 Vetter here.

Im Asian. (i guess Im also not 'true to my roots' caus I dont drive Japanese right?)

I have hair... :P

I think although the Vette interior is not the best.. it is by far better than any other American car. The dash is not plastic...

I could go on and on about technology, etc.. but frankly.. if you havent driven a Vette.. u just wouldnt understand.</STRONG>
How old are you?
Old 07-17-2001, 09:22 PM
Instructor

Also.. you would be amazed at how fast and convienent the convertible goes down...

3200 lb. car that handles like its on rails. I just love it.

I autocross my car every week as well... I cant beat everything out there... Type-Rs with the right drivers always beat me.. but this wide 'boat' goes thru the turns just fine enough for me
Old 07-17-2001, 09:26 PM
Banned

Originally posted by magnetic1:
<STRONG>24.

Also.. you would be amazed at how fast and convienent the convertible goes down...

3200 lb. car that handles like its on rails. I just love it.

I autocross my car every week as well... I cant beat everything out there... Type-Rs with the right drivers always beat me.. but this wide 'boat' goes thru the turns just fine enough for me </STRONG>
I think the whole thing came down to the interior...most of the people here don't doubt the performance of a Corvette...but the interior is lacking....that's all...if it looks cheap on the inside...it looks cheap on the inside...that's the reason a lot of people bought CLs...not Cobras or z28s...or even BMWs<---they have okay interiors, but kinda old-looking like from the 80s BMWs...IMO.
Old 07-17-2001, 10:01 PM
Instructor

moomaster,

u have to admit though... the C5 interior is far superior than any other American car out there... they are making progress man... but again.. it isnt meant to be a luxury car... so there is no need for wood interior or anything like that...

The seats though... I invite you to take a seat in a C5... those seats are simply AMAZING!
Old 07-17-2001, 10:34 PM
retired

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
45 k for a Vette these days?? I had a Vette once but it was '69 with a 4 spd and a 427.Fun car but hellish to maintain and restore.Still I kind of chuckle when I hear 45 large for a Vette....my little 600cc GSXR will smoke that thing provided the weather is right.In the end it is really all about our thing with machines that make us smile.I like Vettes they are big fast cars despite some of their drawbacks and the apparent stereotype that comes with them.Let's get on with life and forget the minor flame war about the choices we make.Jens
Old 07-17-2001, 10:36 PM
Instructor

well put Jens.

We all are car enthusiasts.. and that is the point inst it?
Old 07-17-2001, 10:40 PM
Old timer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love when morons who have obviously never been in a Vette open their yap about how it
"can't handle for shit".

Those same people like to say that about camaro SS/WS-6 firebird also.

Go drive one, then talk.

[ 07-17-2001: Message edited by: JRock ]