Why the 6 speed is bad

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 08:10 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Why the 6 speed is bad

Because everytime i drive my car and i smile....and just press the accelerator pedal just a little bit harder. Can you imagine what life would be with a six speed!!!??? First of all the grin on my face would have to be surgically removed.....not to mention all the speeding tickets!!!
Old 04-03-2002, 10:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's a risk I'll just have to take.
Old 04-03-2002, 10:07 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
this six speed stuff is getting out of hand...it's not a completely different car for cryin out loud.
Old 04-03-2002, 10:35 PM
Banned

Originally posted by zeroday
this six speed stuff is getting out of hand...it's not a completely different car for cryin out loud.
The transmission completely changes the personality of the car.
Old 04-03-2002, 11:00 PM
Grand Turismo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exactly. Its our car with a 6-Speed. I personally dont want it cause I am wicked lazy and since the CL-S isn't a real sports cars its not needed. I drive the NSX for that.
Old 04-03-2002, 11:02 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by mdaniel

The transmission completely changes the personality of the car.
i'm sure it changes the personality of the car somewhat (not sure about completely , but it's just been over hyped on this board IMO. The new 350z...now there's something completely different. I'm not dogging your future car..I think the CLS 6sp is a great car, I just think if you want something 'completely' different than the 5sa CLS, then you shouldn't just be changing from an auto to a manual, you should get a different car.
Old 04-03-2002, 11:08 PM
Banned

i'm sure it changes the personality of the car somewhat (not sure about completely , but it's just been over hyped on this board IMO. The new 350z...now there's something completely different. I'm not dogging your future car..I think the CLS 6sp is a great car, I just think if you want something 'completely' different than the 5sa CLS, then you shouldn't just be changing from an auto to a manual, you should get a different car.
I really like my car I just don't like the transmission. After taking three test drives in the 6 speed, my car feels like I've been driving around with the parking brake partially engaged. The auto just makes the car feel like its working so much harder. It sounds labored. The manual makes the car feel 500 lbs lighter. Especially since they got the gear ratios so much better than in the auto.
Old 04-05-2002, 06:57 AM
Team Owner

I really like my car I just don't like the transmission. After taking three test drives in the 6 speed, my car feels like I've been driving around with the parking brake partially engaged. The auto just makes the car feel like its working so much harder. It sounds labored. The manual makes the car feel 500 lbs lighter. Especially since they got the gear ratios so much better than in the auto.
YES....Very true !!!!
That was me one month ago.

Shawn S
Old 04-05-2002, 07:43 AM
Changin bulbs since '73

The fact that it is a manual transmission alone changes the diring characteristics of the car. Better yet it changes the driving characteristics of the driver. It is fun to row thru the gears. I miss that a lot. A slow car is fun when you are shifting all over the place. It makes you really feel like your "driving" the car. I dunno how diffrent the numbers are, it is just more fun to drive.

Manual transmissions dont appeal to everyone. I personally miss driving a manual transmission. But, nothing I liked was available with a manual when i had to buy my car. I tried real hard. Oh well, to all you six speed owners.....try not to get too many tickets. ............wanna trade?
Old 04-05-2002, 08:13 AM
Fight On SC!

to each his own.
Old 04-05-2002, 11:27 AM
2002 CLs w/Navi

Originally posted by BakedWafer

Exactly. Its our car with a 6-Speed. I personally dont want it cause I am wicked lazy and since the CL-S isn't a real sports cars its not needed. I drive the NSX for that.

I second that! I wouldn't have a 6 speed in a Cls if you paid me.
Old 04-05-2002, 12:06 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I like being able to drink n drive
Old 04-05-2002, 12:49 PM
Changin bulbs since '73

Originally posted by imaginis
I like being able to drink n drive
Old 04-05-2002, 12:51 PM
Banned

i also have to agree...the 6 speed is over hyped to the max, and no one still has any real proof of any type of difference in speed, 1/4 mile, or 0-60 between stock vs stock auto CLS and 6MT CLS i have also test driven one and i have spoken to someone at the dealership who bought one and i didnt notice and significant difference and neither did he...(and YES i was pushing it on my test drive! i got to go alone so no dealer was telling me not to redline it) anyways, it sounds like alot of people are just trying to convince themselves that theyve made a wise choice in swapping a car for the same car with a MT...i sure would try to convince myself i made a wise choice when there is 10,000 + dollars on the line in lost resale value and low trade in value and loss on any mods done to traded in car. but as another member said...to each his own. if it makes the 6-speed guys feel better to tell us all that our cars are sluggish and slow and different personalities even though the cars are virtually identical aside from the tranny, ok fine, let them.
Old 04-05-2002, 01:09 PM
Team Owner

jimcol711......

Shawn S
Old 04-05-2002, 01:17 PM
Banned

somehow i knew if anyone would have a comment to what i said, it would be Shawn S...the king of bragging about the 6-speed... you seem to have made it your personal goal of making sure we all know how the 03 is superior to 02 or 01 in every way. i mean isnt it possible for something on the 02's or 01's to be better??? alot of people prefer the headlights and the chrome, classly look of the grill and door handles. alot of people obviously prefer the auto tranny and the wheels and many other things that the 2003 model did away with. no one can actually say that they prefer the black holes in the bumper as opposed to the road lamps on the 01's and 02's....sure, it may be only a 5 watt bulb or whatever, but the lack of the lights makes the front look cheaper and thats obviously why acura got rid of them...to save money...but you are the first to say that its going to be a quasi ram-air port...ok whatever, but you cant possibly say that the cheap plastic black things look better than the road lamps...apparently nothing anyone else has can be as good as yours. but like i said, if it makes you feel better to itemise every change from 2002 to 2003 and come up with some reason why yours is better, fine, do your thing buddy, go ahead and convince yourself that your car is so much better than anyone elses. im not trying to flame or anything, i just think it gets annoying when everything has to be about you and your 2003 6 speed, thats all
Old 04-05-2002, 01:23 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by jimcol711
i mean isnt it possible for something on the 02's or 01's to be better???
YUP....Seat heater switches, Stock RIMS's & Marker Lamps.

There’s my list.

Shawn S
Old 04-05-2002, 01:26 PM
Team Owner

im not trying to flame or anything
But you’re doing a DAMN good job of it though.
My ASS is 200-miles away from you and it’s getting WARM.

Shawn S
Old 04-05-2002, 05:05 PM
Banned

This isn't a matter of people buying a car (6 speed) and trying to justify it after the fact. Some of us, like Shawn S, are stick drivers. No matter how good an auto, it just isn't the same. Shawn was a big 6 speed supporter before he'd spent one dime. He could have test driven one and decided it was a POS and bought a Maxima or G35.

Also, the percieved speed of a car is VERY subjective. I remember when the 01 CL-S came out with a 6.57 0-60 number from Acura, so many people said Acura was lying and the car didn't feel that fast. Of course, now we know that number was even a little conservative. The car is very smooth and is faster than it feels. And you'd probably have to be a pro driver to tell a 6.1second car from a 6.6 second.
Old 04-05-2002, 05:49 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
.....No matter how good an auto, it just isn't the same.. ......
Have you ever driven a SMG, like in the BMW M3?

It just might change your mind about that statement.
Old 04-05-2002, 05:53 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
> Have you ever driven a SMG, like in the BMW M3?
> It just might change your mind about that statement.

Technically, that's not an automatic. It's a clutchless manual, different story.
Old 04-05-2002, 05:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by Tom2

Have you ever driven a SMG, like in the BMW M3?

It just might change your mind about that statement.

I'll take the SMGII -- thank you.

and

When's the last time a "current" F1 car was seen with a clutch pedal?
Old 04-05-2002, 05:57 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by EricL

When's the last time a "current" F1 car was seen with a clutch pedal?
Good point.
Old 04-05-2002, 05:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by EricS
> Have you ever driven a SMG, like in the BMW M3?
> It just might change your mind about that statement.

Technically, that's not an automatic. It's a clutchless manual, different story.

Splitting hairs time... Technically, our slush box is a manual with a lot of clutches, torque converter, and other "add-ons"...

So, what is a CVT when it switches to "fixed"/"virtual" gear ratios?

Line drawing, again…
Old 04-05-2002, 06:04 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If at any time you cannot control when it shifts, it is an automatic. So, since with the slushomatic it shifts for you at times, even though you have it in 'manual' mode, I would still consider it an automatic.

F1 is a totally different story, they have full control of their gear boxes, same with SMGII. If either of those were in the CLS, I woulda been all over it. It's all about control...
Old 04-05-2002, 07:11 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll take the SMGII -- thank you.
I'd "take" one too

But at nearly double the price of the CL-S 6MT, that doesn't seem like a fair comparision if I'm buying.
Old 04-05-2002, 07:27 PM
Instructor

i also have to agree...the 6 speed is over hyped to the max...
Some people just want to drive a manual transimission. I looked at the 2001 CL-S, liked it, but just couldn't reconcile driving an automatic. It's OK when I'm out of town driving a rental, or driving my girlfriend's car to go skiing, but for my car--I'm a manual driver. Some people bought the automatic CL because they had no choice--I know I labored over than decision--and now they can have their car with the transmission they prefer.

There's nothing wrong with an automatic if that's what you like. And there's nothing wrong with owning a sail boat instead of a power boat or vice versa--just do what feels good, and no need pissing in the other guy's cheerios

Really, the driving experience boils down to factors like comfort, handling, style, acceleration, and for some, shifting. Some guys feel naked without the shifting part. Imagine if your car could automatically adjust speed and steering when you want to make a turn, and do a decent job of it--would you want it to? Or do you like that part of driving?

peace
Old 04-05-2002, 08:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by EricS
If at any time you cannot control when it shifts, it is an automatic. So, since with the slushomatic it shifts for you at times, even though you have it in 'manual' mode, I would still consider it an automatic.

F1 is a totally different story, they have full control of their gear boxes, same with SMGII. If either of those were in the CLS, I woulda been all over it. It's all about control...

That same CLS transaxle full of "junk", will happily stay in gear IF the “stupid” electronics tells it to. If you're a betting man and put down enough money, I'll start chopping the wires to the shift solenoids to make a point…

When I mentioned line drawing, that's just what I was talking about. The "line" between "automatic" and "manual" is being blurred with current developments...

For example, if the "mythical" Level-10 transmission controller was available -- right now -- and connected to the CLS' slushbox (thus allowing the CLS driver to "smash" into any gear at any time), the box is now a manual (your definition). By the same logic, if a F1 driver gets a auto downshift or auto upshift, that tranny is no longer a “manual” (the revs and other heuristics might very well govern the optimal shift for a given circuit).

As I said ... line drawing...
Old 04-05-2002, 08:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by codehead

I'd "take" one too

But at nearly double the price of the CL-S 6MT, that doesn't seem like a fair comparision if I'm buying.
The "incremental" cost for the addition of the SMGII, is not as brutal as it seems. I don't know if it is fair to compare the cost of the CLS (as is) against the M3 (with and without SMG).

The cost of the SMGII for the M3 is "around" 3 to 4 grand (depending on where you source the info). I would have gladly put-up the dough for the pleasure of something resembling the SMGII on the M3

A link to the R/T article on the SMG:

http://forums.roadfly.com/bmw/forums...=224938&page=1

BTW, even my Maxima SE had a “hint” control for the auto tranny. Acura should have just popped for a “Protect-all-idiots”/”Drive-like-a-maniac” tranny control switch…
Old 04-05-2002, 11:34 PM
Subie Dubie

somehow i knew if anyone would have a comment to what i said, it would be Shawn S...the king of bragging about the 6-speed... you seem to have made it your personal goal of making sure we all know how the 03 is superior to 02 or 01 in every way. i mean isnt it possible for something on the 02's or 01's to be better??? alot of people prefer the headlights and the chrome, classly look of the grill and door handles. alot of people obviously prefer the auto tranny and the wheels and many other things that the 2003 model did away with. no one can actually say that they prefer the black holes in the bumper as opposed to the road lamps on the 01's and 02's....sure, it may be only a 5 watt bulb or whatever, but the lack of the lights makes the front look cheaper and thats obviously why acura got rid of them...to save money...but you are the first to say that its going to be a quasi ram-air port...ok whatever, but you cant possibly say that the cheap plastic black things look better than the road lamps...apparently nothing anyone else has can be as good as yours. but like i said, if it makes you feel better to itemise every change from 2002 to 2003 and come up with some reason why yours is better, fine, do your thing buddy, go ahead and convince yourself that your car is so much better than anyone elses. im not trying to flame or anything, i just think it gets annoying when everything has to be about you and your 2003 6 speed, thats all
I'm with you, and i'll be glad to take my headers equipped, lighter wheeled auto up against his heavier bling blinged, non header 6mt anytime. By the way, annoying doesn't come close to describing his self interesting threads. By the way, i'm not flaming anyone else for gettin the 6 speed, glad you newbies are here, just tired of one guy acting like the world revolves around his new purchase.
Old 04-05-2002, 11:46 PM
Team Owner

Originally posted by Red Rider
By the way, annoying doesn't come close to describing his self interesting threads.......just tired of one guy acting like the world revolves around his new purchase.
Right back at YA buddy….

If you don’t want to read my posts, don’t click on EM.

Shawn S
Old 04-05-2002, 11:50 PM
Instructor

The "incremental" cost for the addition of the SMGII, is not as brutal as it seems. I don't know if it is fair to compare the cost of the CLS (as is) against the M3 (with and without SMG).

The cost of the SMGII for the M3 is "around" 3 to 4 grand (depending on where you source the info). I would have gladly put-up the dough for the pleasure of something resembling the SMGII on the M3

A link to the R/T article on the SMG:

http://forums.roadfly.com/bmw/forums...=224938&page=1

BTW, even my Maxima SE had a “hint” control for the auto tranny. Acura should have just popped for a “Protect-all-idiots”/”Drive-like-a-maniac” tranny control switch…
Interesting reading, thanks.

I gotta go with what's out there and what I can afford, of course. Anyway, I figure in 5-7 years, things will be a lot different, with a lot more engine details controlled by computer and not by direct mechanical means. From what I understand we'll have to move to 48 volt systems, so it's not like we can just drop in a new engine--till then, this car will do fine
Old 04-06-2002, 12:12 AM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by Shawn S
Right back at YA buddy….

If you don’t want to read my posts, don’t click on EM.

Shawn S
There's SO many self important posts by you that they're hard to ignore. You're the guy who's always raising his hand in class, you're like Al Gore ! What next, i'm waiting for " What Shawn had for breakfast " or " Photos of my 2003 lug nuts " Give us all a break, PLEASE.
Old 04-06-2002, 12:15 AM
Certified Lurker

I'm with you, and i'll be glad to take my headers equipped, lighter wheeled auto up against his heavier bling blinged, non header 6mt anytime. By the way, annoying doesn't come close to describing his self interesting threads. By the way, i'm not flaming anyone else for gettin the 6 speed, glad you newbies are here, just tired of one guy acting like the world revolves around his new purchase.
Why is it such a big deal if he rants about his purchase........if you people didnt realize, this is a PUBLIC message board, and givin the fact that there is freadom of speach in this country, theres realy nothing you can do about it, but like Shawn said, if you dont like his posts, dont click on them. You should know by the fact that he posts all the time, if you read 1, 2, or 3 of them, and you dont like them, dont click on the rest. This board is made for people to talk about there cars, and thats what he does, and to be honest with you, i think shawn may know more about these cars then almost anyone on the board.....I also am not "flaming" anyone in perticular, i just find it rediculious that you people can bitch and moan about someone (not just shawn, but anyone in general) for what they type on a message board on the internet.....get a life people and stop whinning.
Old 04-06-2002, 12:25 AM
Subie Dubie

Originally posted by Collective27

Why is it such a big deal if he rants about his purchase........if you people didnt realize, this is a PUBLIC message board, and givin the fact that there is freadom of speach in this country, theres realy nothing you can do about it, but like Shawn said, if you dont like his posts, dont click on them. You should know by the fact that he posts all the time, if you read 1, 2, or 3 of them, and you dont like them, dont click on the rest. This board is made for people to talk about there cars, and thats what he does, and to be honest with you, i think shawn may know more about these cars then almost anyone on the board.....I also am not "flaming" anyone in perticular, i just find it rediculious that you people can bitch and moan about someone (not just shawn, but anyone in general) for what they type on a message board on the internet.....get a life people and stop whinning.
You're right, and i have a right to say he's annoying. Not everyone has to say " What would Shawn do "
Old 04-06-2002, 12:59 PM
Team Owner

What next, i'm waiting for " What Shawn had for breakfast " or " Photos of my 2003 lug nuts " Give us all a break, PLEASE.
Hey thanks for the ideas, I’ll have to work on that.
Since you mentioned LUG NUTS, I just happen to have a picture of the 2003 ones compared to the Gorilla brand Locks I bought.

As for breakfast.....just TOAST today and I forgot to take a picture for you.

Shawn S
Old 04-06-2002, 02:04 PM
Instructor

hehe

Man this is one of the most entertaining posts i have ever read on this board...Shawn...gl with your six speed....I would have considered one myself but its not worth a 10grand swing to me...if I had the money to blow I would have just went for a bimmer...I got my CLS for 27000 wuth nav and spoiler...would I have paid 32000 or 33000 for the 6 speed? Hell no. I love the car as is...it would be nice with a six speed but it would be nice if it could fly too ...As far as Shawns posts...yeah they are kind of self absorbed but also very informative at times...and like the other guy said...it is a public messageboard so say what you want. Its obvious Shawn is a fanatic about his 6 speed...but hey...we are all fanatics for the CL---why would we waste time on this board otherwise??
Old 04-06-2002, 07:46 PM
CL 6 speeder

Its not about speed

I prefer manual transmissions. Some prefer automatics. To each his own. But prefering to use a manual has nothing to do with 0-60 times, better gas mileage etc. It has to do with control. Its about MUCH better engine breaking and not having to break everytime you enter a corner or go down a hill or come to a stop light (at least not nearly as soon). Its about the transmission not downshifting on you everytime you step on the gas a bit (unless you want it to). Its about the rpms staying steady on the highway and not going to idle when you let your foot off the gas (like the auto G35 I drove). Its about being more connected to the driving process. Nothing wrong about wanting to drive an automatic, but I don't care if your 0-60 is almost as good or better. I could care less.
Old 04-06-2002, 10:16 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by Shawn S
Hey thanks for the ideas, I’ll have to work on that.
Since you mentioned LUG NUTS, I just happen to have a picture of the 2003 ones compared to the Gorilla brand Locks I bought.

As for breakfast.....just TOAST today and I forgot to take a picture for you.

Shawn S

What about lunch? Since you had toast for breakfast, did you toast the bread on your sammich or did you just eat it straight out of the bag without toasting?

Ignore the idiots Ss!