Whooped by my wife (embarrassus maximus)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2001, 03:01 AM
My other car is a 350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whooped by my wife (embarrassus maximus)

My wife and I left a friend's house within a few miles of ours earlier this evening. I'm driving my Stock CL-S and she's driving my old car, a '93 Probe GT 5-sp (> 120K miles, still in good mechanical, if not visual, condition).

We eased out of the neighborhood onto the divided road and ambled up to the intersection side by side. The light is red, and I rolled down my passenger window and waved to get her attention. She rolled down her window and I shouted "Hey, Lady!!! Why don't you show me what that P.O.S. Probe can do?". She grinned, and to gunned the Probe engine, thinking that she's got game. I'm sitting there licking my lips at the thought of this insignificant, but fun kill opportunity.

The light turned green, she popped the Probe's clutch, and begins to surge forward. I mash the CL-S gas pedal down expecting an Apollo launch and...doh...the VSA light on the console flashes a few times, the power to the wheels dropped, and I hopped and skipped foward at a snails pace. What an ultramaroon!!! I forgot to turn off the VSA. After what seemed like an eternity (probably 2 seconds) I got traction on the front wheels and within a few more seconds caught up to and passed her.

We both slowed down approaching the next intersection and stopped at the red light. This time my brain was in gear, and the VSA is off. The light turned green and she quickly disappeared in the rear view mirror. We got home a few minutes later and immediately she starts on me with some serious smack. I am totally embarrassed; I have no defense. She is going to serve me humble pie for dinner.

------------------
001 Silver CLS
Absolutely stock and ready to rock!
Old 01-19-2001, 10:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Haha.... great story. I have yet to forget to turn VSA off (knock on wood)

------------------
2001 Acura 3.2CL Type S
Comptech Springs
Comptech Sway Bars
PIAA 19169
Old 01-19-2001, 05:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

I need to practice the vsa off. But I am getting better with the SS.

------------------
01 Silver 3.2CLs
Old 01-19-2001, 06:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
lol, that happened to me at the SoCal meet. Rurofan was break torquing it and i forgot to turn vsa off. Couldn't catch him even though i have headers.

------------------
2001 Satin Silver Cl Type S.
Comptech Headers
Comptech Springs
Muds
Wheel locks
35% Llumar metallic tint
Best 0-60. 6.08 Gtech Pro (Preheaders)

My Car
Old 01-19-2001, 08:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I must be doing something wrong... I've been leaving the VSA on with the Toyos and still getting great times. The VSA only gives a quick blink off the line. Lastest Gtech was 6.0 and 6.1 both directions with 40 degrees out. Hmmm....

I think it is time for a tire survey. I wonder if anyone has put some gummies on the front wheels?
Old 01-20-2001, 05:15 AM
Banned

Eric,

Is your CL Stock? Modded if so which mods? Great times in any event though!!! whoaaaa baybeeeee

------------------
2001 Nighthawk Black CLS Type S - Custom Chromed Aluminum Cold Air Intake, PIAA 19173(Yellow) Road Lamp Upgrades, Full Wood Trim, Spoiler, Custom Aftermarket Paint Etching On Driver Door http://types.50megs.com/index.html
Old 01-20-2001, 07:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Xephyr2K:
Eric,

Is your CL Stock? Modded if so which mods? Great times in any event though!!! whoaaaa baybeeeee

</font>
Just really cold out, finally broken in (well some people say it doesn't get fast until 4k miles). I mixed the rev range all over the place and changed loads constantly -- I was almost obsessive. (Don't know how much that helps).

Also, temp was less than 40 degrees, 1/4 tank, and I have Toyo T1S Proxies: 235/45ZR17-93Ws on stock wheels. The tires really bite hard. The original MXM4s would squeal like pigs if I even did a slow push on the gas on new concrete or pavement.

I'm starting to think that the times given in the mags are with a full tank, at 80 degrees, with 2 big guys, and with a full tank of gas.

I finally ran into a Porshe Boxster S *and* he pulled around and nailed it. I hit it and caught him. At the next light, I had the VSA on, was in D5, and pulled about 1 car length to 65/70. There are some other guys with headers that are killing these things, but I'm a big guy (but, once again, I was running with an almost empty tank).

Finally, the tires really hook up fast. I get a quick flash on the VSA, then a quick blink around 4500 (go figure).