Who still loves their CL Type S?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Making it Happen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Who still loves their CL Type S?

Well my baby is turning 6 years old in a few weeks and I still love driving this thing. I got no rattles, the only issue with the car I have had is the tranny. I love the seats in this and the sporty aluminum. I love how predictable the handling is with the mods and tires I have. I love the power thats not as up to date with the newer cars, but still can blow by most of the cars on the road. Driving the car is still smooth and its just so easy to toss around. I still think my car looks pretty sharp too!

My parents have offered me a new car for the past few years and I couldn't imagine anything in the 35k range worth driving over the Cl. I have always loved the basic but sleek styling, the comforts and interior of the Cl, and the nice mix of some power, handling, and smoothness. I just really see no reason to get any other car in the 35k range right now as anything would just be a minimal upgrade IMO.

Now when I need a new car in 3 years, I'm thinking an S5 with wheels
Old 07-16-2008, 10:28 PM
Guitarded

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shit, if I had a CL type S I would never want to get rid of it.

Keep it as long as your can since it's still running great and you love it. No need to rush out of it.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Your mom is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I love it also!
Old 07-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Is a chargin mah lazar in

I've only had mine since May and I wanted to get rid of it about a few weeks later. I never got a type S so that might be the problem. Having a car in automatic is killing me. Buying the car was a smart decision though, I needed a good dependable DD that wouldn't explode at any whim...ahem, like my old S4. This is technically the first non-euro car I've owned and I hate to say it but I really miss the VAG. I miss Quattro more than anything.

That being said, I've slowly fallen in love with the car more and more everyday. Sure I still visit my old Audi forums and reminisce about the old days, but I just peek out my window and see my new baby sitting out there and the bad feelings go away. It doesn't have Quattro, but its still a blast to drive and way easier to maintain. I think the CL is one of those love it or hate it kind of cars. At first I didn't think it was anything special but it grew on me.

You can't find something in the 35k range that you like more?! You my friend are a true enthusiast. Personally I'd go with a 335i and go single turbo. But thats just me lol.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:47 PM
TellinItLikeItIsSince1/06

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
love my CL-P! its perfect right now. main things i love are its power and potential at that! matched with luxury and its exclusivity, you don't see many at all.

resale is the only bad thing about this car!

anyway, its so well rounded, a "jack of all trades" if i may quote a moderator [forgot who], but it does it all and I like having a little bit of everything, great car! and still running strong at 76k.

just funny everyone who posted so far is under 22...so perfect for the younger crowd??
maybe that answers your original question
Old 07-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Making it Happen

335i single turbo i dont think they make. 335's are in the 40s+...I'm saying for the price I paid for my CL which was like 30k, right now there isnt a 30k car out there that I think is a substantial improvement to warrant purchasing another vehicle.

And yes, you probably dont like your car as much since not a Type S. A Type S with my mods is worlds apart from your car. Not saying I dont like your car, just saying in performance issues.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:57 PM
Is a chargin mah lazar in

Originally Posted by Renegade
335i single turbo i dont think they make. 335's are in the 40s+...I'm saying for the price I paid for my CL which was like 30k, right now there isnt a 30k car out there that I think is a substantial improvement to warrant purchasing another vehicle.

And yes, you probably dont like your car as much since not a Type S. A Type S with my mods is worlds apart from your car. Not saying I dont like your car, just saying in performance issues.

No its bi-turbo but I meant doing a single turbo upgrade.

I love my car now, I've just gotta deal with what I've got!

Suspension upgrades are a def improvement though, I'll probably end up blowing my next paycheck on them.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:14 PM
Safety Car

Received 219 Likes on 168 Posts
I wish I had a CL...
Old 07-16-2008, 11:16 PM
P.

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I still love my CLS alot! So much that the cops cant keep pullin me over for speedin!! I love the car but I def have learned the hard way for the HP it has. All im hopeing now is I can keep my license and my car I love the CLS though even though the tranny shitted on me, but it shifts on a dime now
Old 07-16-2008, 11:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
To answer your question, I do. Its become mine. Something I own, cherish and take care of. Sure it has it downs but every car does at some point. And like every beautiful girl, just gotta treat her right, keep her happy (fixing minor rattles and repairs) and in return, you get to ride her as much as you want.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:43 PM
Photoshop Junkie

Still love it. I know my wife gets sick of me talking about how dope our car looks. It just can look so sexy, especially from the rear at a 3/4 view. Great power, comfort and reliability. And damn that six speed is the shit. I wish it had a bit more gagetry like the new TL's have, but I've added my own gagets so I'm good for now.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:49 PM
Wide Body 3.2 CL-S

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i had a chance to buy a new car, like the bmw 135i, or keep the cl and just work on it. I kept the cl and now working on it. I luv my car.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:18 AM
Chillin' in my trailer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love my CL, I won't get rid of it until the wheels fall off. I have a lot of my time and money sunk into it. Most of all it's reliable and drives great.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:46 AM
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Gotta jump in here and praise my Claire. She's been good to me from day one. That bad tranny went and I got a new one with a tranny cooler. Other than that it's been everything I want in a car. And seeing as I have a P the supercharger took my joy with this car to another level. The power, the sound, the feeling of being pushed back into my seat at any RPM and being able to keep up with almost any non-modded new car out there is fantastic. I too will keep this car forever. Got plenty of big mods to do in the future...
Old 07-17-2008, 12:51 AM
That's Racist

i was in the process of putting the cl back to stock-ish and picking myself up a blue 350z.

decided financially it wouldn't make sense to let the cl go, and ran out, bought new wheels (too many sets of new wheels actually lol) and my car has been in the bodyshop for like a month.

i get it back this weekend and i couldn't be more excited
Old 07-17-2008, 02:38 AM
Unregistered user

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Time For Sleeep
i was in the process of putting the cl back to stock-ish and picking myself up a blue 350z.

decided financially it wouldn't make sense to let the cl go, and ran out, bought new wheels (too many sets of new wheels actually lol) and my car has been in the bodyshop for like a month.

i get it back this weekend and i couldn't be more excited
this weeekend... soooo photoshoot? i'll be back in the 626 this weekend =D

still love it, for 35k i'd get an s2k if it wasn't for insurance, the tl if i didn't love my cl so much since my recent body work...

all i need now is a blower then i'll be set until the cl dies... or i become rich as balls, but that won't be anytime soon
Old 07-17-2008, 03:11 AM
Rollin the SRT8 or my CLS

Yep I'm keeping mine for a long time! Cant beat this car......
Old 07-17-2008, 07:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,782 Likes on 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr3.2S
Yep I'm keeping mine for a long time! Cant beat this car......
I just turned 100K, with 55K on the blower. Average mpg is 33 if I 'grandma' it at 70mph or 28mpg or less at 75mph and above. This thing feels like it's just getting broken in
Years ago, when I had the SC'er installed, all my friends with SUV's were laughing because they could not understand why I would want to mod this car. Now I laugh at them with their 'upside down' SUV loans; trade values and dreary mpg stats.

I'll keep my Acura for now, thank you.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:09 AM
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
loved my CL and definitely miss it, but impreza's more practical for now...who knows what my next car will be when the impreza becomes my wife's car
Old 07-17-2008, 08:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Do I love it? Not really. It's a car. The fun & run has gone from me. No more mods, & the price of 93 gas has gotten to me. Plus my insurance went up on the car because of it's age.
Will I buy a new car? NO! Too much crap going on to buy another car. I have no payments, & don't want the debt.

It would be nice to say otherwise, but real reality has set in for me.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:03 AM
'08 MX5 GT 6spd.

Received 1,192 Likes on 485 Posts
I loved mine. It was sad to see it go, but with 160,000 miles on it....it was time.

I didn't want to be stranded, and stuff started to stop working (power seats, clock light), small fixable stuff, but I just didn't want to. I went out on top, what can I say. The insurance was really high for some reason as well. It just wasn't smart to keep a car that old and pay $240-250/month on insurance.

I started going on a lot of drives with different car groups all over the area, and the CL (even with the mods) didn't perform that great in the twisties. I know it wasn't meant to, I just desired more in the handling dept. Most of all, I was just ready for a change.

I will always rem. that car, even with the glass tranny and warped rotors.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:54 AM
an asshole from florida

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
Do I love it? Not really. It's a car. The fun & run has gone from me. No more mods, & the price of 93 gas has gotten to me. Plus my insurance went up on the car because of it's age.
Will I buy a new car? NO! Too much crap going on to buy another car. I have no payments, & don't want the debt.

It would be nice to say otherwise, but real reality has set in for me.
I feel about the same way, except modding my car really wont happen due to money going to living expenses first and what is leftover goes to food, im living off my rents so i dont wana take advantage really
Old 07-17-2008, 12:57 PM
Not a doctor

I think it's kind of sad that a lot of older members have either moved on from their CL's or just lost interest, but it's bound to happen with the car getting older and the shitty economy right now.

I'd love to upgrade to an s2k or a Z but the reality right now is that i'll probably be keeping my CL until it dies. But with my new suspension on i'm really satisfied.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:24 PM
6th Gear

i get burned by newer cars so much it makes me feel like I need a new S5 or something u only live once everyone is driving a car that they can't afford anyway I live for the time I payed my cl-s off and now am going to put 20 g's down on an RS4 or something my car is too slow
Old 07-17-2008, 02:27 PM
ABP-KBP-CBP & ME

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
I love my current 2003 CLS and my previous 2001 CLS, and 1997 2.2CL. They are good cars still better than a lot of models out there currently (not all). The CLS is a combo of power and grace some of each and I will drive it for as long as I can or till it becomes cost prohibitive or I just get frustrated with its lack of technology.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:15 PM
9th Gear

My '01 CL-S is getting ready to roll 103k and has treated me very well for the most part. She is in getting a new tranny (her 3rd - original replaced in '03 at 35k) as I type, but I am still happy with the car. At least they covered the tranny under the ext warranty - they did get me on two Motor Mounts ($460 - ehh) but I won't complain too much since I'll have a whole new tranny.
I had been itching to get a Shelby GT but I think I am at a point where I should just ride this one out until she dies....it's been a fun car....
Old 07-17-2008, 07:31 PM
01 CL-S

I love my car. Would never want to own any other car in it's class over it except the new MB C350 Sport. And even still there are many things I like about the CL over that.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:45 PM
Racer

I've owned several cars. A Maxima, 240SX, Scirocco, 2.2CL and this car. I had pain in the ass problems with the first three cars but with the 2.2CL and the CL-S they've been flawless. I've driven the family cars like 05' Pathfinder, 04' BMW 5 series and 05' 7 series--I've experienced more problems with the 04' BMW 5 series (bought brand new) than with a 97' 2.2CL. A damn shame. The 05' 745i has had more issues than my 02' CL-S.

ALMOST ALL of the issues I had with both Acuras were simply rectified for small change or for free. With both BMWs? HELL NO. I've researched and driven nearly every reasonably priced automobile on the market and I can't say I've come across anything that made me want to get rid of my CL-S. Nothing in the 30's or even the 40's price range, not even Mercedes, compared to the CL-S as far as bein versatile, almost problem free, and inexpensive to maintain.

Luxury wise, there's nothing out there that would make me think any other car was overwhelmingly better than the CL-S. Sure there's a few details and refinments but, still, not enough to make me want to get rid of my CL-S. Everytime I've test driven a car that is supposedly better for whatever reason I can still point out qualities the CL-S has that is just as good if not better than anything else I've driven.

I've checked out the maintenance departments of various dealerships--Mercedes people give you that "Good luck, sucker" look if you talk about a Mercedes with more than 70,000 miles on it. I don't even want to talk about the fuck-ups at most of the American dealership maintenance departments. But at every single Acura dealership maintenance department I've been to they've treated me like royalty and knew an acura inside and out. The people in Porsche maintenance departments try to feed you that "BUT IT'S A PORSCHE" bullshit down your throat like a person should be blessed to experience maintenance issues with a Porsche. Same deal with BMW. But Acura? Hell no. The reaction is always: "We'll get right on it." 9 times out of 10 when they're done with the car they'll explain exactly what they had to fix and walk you through whatever issues the car had instead of trying to rush you off.

My only issue with the CL-S is I wish the power could be a little more aggressive. The rush of RPMs is slow and the tranny is kinda lazy but overall I'm satisfied. If I ever get beat in a street race by a car it's usually something that may be faster but lacking in some other department the CL-S is better at. And then I also think how much more money that guy is paying to be faster and it makes it all the more worth it to be happy with the decision I made in buying my CL-S.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:46 PM
Drifting

My parents were willing to give me $15k for another car, so I was looking and drooling over the opportunity to own a second generation CL (preferably an 6'speed ABP '03 type-S) . So my dad bought a first gen for himself, and then he gave it to me. Don't get me wrong, I love my first gen CL, and i love driving it, but I still look at second gen CL's and drool (my laptop background is a ronjon second gen CL). so if i were you, i'd stick with your CL for a while.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:56 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
i still do. keeping it until the wheels fall off
Old 07-17-2008, 09:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
It's nice, but after 5 1/2 years, the honeymoon is over...

I'd like a new car, but the depreciation on the CL is so bad, I'd be lucky to get 8-9K for it on a trade in... I've only got 75K miles on it, so it's probably better for me to just keep on driving it, since it's not worth much to anyone else...

I think I'd probably be happier if I had bought the CL used... It's probably going to take a lot for me to buy another new car...
Old 07-17-2008, 10:05 PM
Burning Brakes

I still love the car and I have had it for 5 years now. Greenie - modifications help extend the love affair, I think its time you did some mods ;-)
Old 07-18-2008, 10:39 AM
A clean ride is in

I have 141K miles but still love this car. I like the gas mileage (29-30 mpg on the highway) and the available power when I need it. I'll keep it as long as I can!
Old 07-18-2008, 05:00 PM
B A N N E D AKA M.J.H.

I LOVE my CL-6! I get so many compliments on it, the body style, especially after throwing on a spoiler. And it's rare, and hopefully after throwing on a S/C it won't lose to many cars.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:49 PM
Racer

The first time I heard somebody gettin' down in a CL-S I didn't see the car at first. All I heard was some hellified exhaust noise like a Porsche or some other kind of exotic. I looked down the street and it was a blue CL-S. My mouth watered and I was thinking to myself, damn I'm so glad I got this car. It's one thing you hear your own exhaust note from inside the car. It's quite another to hear it from the outside screaming down the street.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:46 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

It's a great car. Wish I had Bluetooth and Nav. Both could be added by me. Overall, the 6 speed is a very solid car, have only had 1 ballast go out and nothing else out of my pocket except for regular maintainance. Not bad for a car with 73,000 miles on it. My only regret is that by driving it it will wear out eventually and I don't see anything around that I'd buy to replace it. A wonderful car indeed.
Old 07-18-2008, 09:24 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I still love my CLS 6MT. So trouble free and fun to drive. I was eyeing a used RL but with gas prices, and really wanting a coupe I'm still sittin in the CL. (Never owned a sedan but love the tech and interior on the RL).
Bought CLS used at 7500 miles, now at 57k.
I never buy new, someone else can pay the 20-30% new fee.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I still love my CL-S! Hell, with all of the money for MODS I put into her over the last 5 years, I would incur more of a loss in money then my divorce! So, as they say.....its cheaper to keep her! LMAO
Old 07-19-2008, 12:12 AM
Racer

6 speed with rwd and id love it i just will have to like my auto one
Old 07-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Staggered 1st Gen

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm actually strongly considering getting a type s when/if my first gen auto tranny goes out I think they're very slept-on cars which offered very impressive performance out-the-box along with most all luxury ammeneties you could ask for in a midrange sports coupe. Plus they're at a very desirable price point right now.

Quick Reply: Who still loves their CL Type S?