Wheel offset question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2004, 07:03 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Wheel offset question

I ordered Axis HIRO rims from North East Auto Design about a month ago. When I ordered, I asked them what the offset would be, and they said they didn't know yet because they haven't arrived in the country yet, and they need to fit them on a Z. They assured me that they would get me an offset that fits well. I called today and asked if they knew what the offsets would be yet. The person I spoke to said for the track Z with the brembos it would be around 20 in the back and 15 in the front, and for the non track models it would be 40 in the rear and 35 in the front.

40/35 seems very high to me for the Z, and I mentioned that. I've seen a Z that had a 40 offset on the rear and it looked terrible...tucked in to the wheel well too far. He said that offset depends on the wheel....you can't compare offsets on different wheels.... It also doesn't make sense to me why I wouldn't use the same offsets as the track model with brembos?? Position of the wheel hub is the same right? What if I want to go with aftermarket brakes at some point? Something about this just doesn't sit right to me, but i'm not a wheel expert by any stretch...this is my first aftermarket rim order. I need to make sure these guys know what they are talking about.

Anyway, I would really appreciate it if one of the resident wheel experts could tell me if what they've told me makes sense. I don't want to end up with the wheels being tucked in too far and looking odd.

thanks
Old 02-18-2004, 07:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can't compare offsets on different wheels
wTf ??????

http://www.etddiscounttire.com/wheeloffset.html

Can you ask this person to explain this to you? I've never heard of this, and, to me, this sounds like someone saying they couldn't compare the thread pitch of bolts made by different makers. “Hey, Joe, we have some new 10mm bolts coming in, but I can’t tell you if the threads are the same as they are made by a different company.”

Offset == offset == offset. (Or perhaps they are using base 8 math )

Could he mean something else that relates to spoke clearance vis-à-vis the brakes?
Old 02-18-2004, 08:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zeroday remember I told you about the offset being 40 like the other wheel. I spoke to the kid and he assured me but I knew better than that. He is gonna tell you to use a 5mm spacer I quarantee it.

I didnt want to do the spacer

get your money back
Old 02-18-2004, 08:34 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
thanks for the replies. even Lou. . I really like these rims... this shit does not make me happy at all...the guy never mentioned anything as high as 40 when i first spoke to him. sounds like these guys are trying to pull a fast one on me. Lou did they give you a hard time about cancelling your order? I used a credit card so i'm thinking it wouldnt be a problem...

What is so bad about spacers again??
Old 02-18-2004, 08:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by zeroday
thanks for the replies. even Lou. . I really like these rims... this shit does not make me happy at all...the guy never mentioned anything as high as 40 when i first spoke to him. sounds like these guys are trying to pull a fast one on me. Lou did they give you a hard time about cancelling your order? I used a credit card so i'm thinking it wouldnt be a problem...

What is so bad about spacers again??
yes they did give me a problem he told me he had to ask the manager and I told him about the offset and he agreed. There is no way he can give you a problem because he promised the right offet.

spacers on the benz really sucks because we use bolts instead of lugs and that means a long ass bolt which many people dont fell comfortable with.

if the Z has lugs than just make sure you have enough clearance to lock them in right.