Wheel hop cure part II

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 10:37 AM
Spectacular Aroma About

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel hop cure part II

Hey Guys,

Well I ordered a set of OEM radius rod bushings from acuraautomotiveparts.org. They got here today. I had to re-order because they have a 30 dollar minimum. Good service. Anyhow, The stock bushings are totally hollow!! I'm going to fill them with the urethane and see how that works. I'm a little leary of using solid urethane bushungs there because I've heard that urethane will eventually change shape if it is compressed constantly. These bushings are extreemly soft. The outer lip that rests on the crossmember is only about 1/4 inch thick. The rest of it is hollow. I also got another set of collars that go inside the bushings so I could shorten them and provide a little more preload on the bushings. SHould I shorten the collars or try it without? Just filling the bushings would make this a very easy and almost free mod to cure wheel hop if it works. I hope that stuff (windo-weld) didn't dry out already. I have a bunch left.

Here is a picture to clarify what I'm talking about. The bushings are #10 and 11. The collars are #14.

Old 11-07-2003, 01:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool! Let us know how it works out for you. I vote for leaving the collars as is for now.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

WAY TO GO CHAD!!!!!!!

Old 11-07-2003, 02:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

If possible I would try with the stock size collars, and go from there. If you do need to preload them, you want the minimum prelaod neccessary.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:21 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally posted by ModAddict
If possible I would try with the stock size collars, and go from there. If you do need to preload them, you want the minimum prelaod neccessary.
Yep I think I'll leave the collars alone for now. Makes it much more repeatable if it works. I had to order something to get the order up to 30 bucks so I got a few collars and a bunch of drain plug washers. I had no idea there would be such a big cavity inside the bushing to fill. I think just the windo-weld will have a dramatic effect. If the windo weld is still good I'll do the bushings tonight and put them in sunday. If not I'll go get some tommorow and try to get them cured by Sunday. If this works it should be a very cheap and simple thing to do.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Holy crap, Chad is finally ironing this out...

I think it will help but not solve the issue... We need a ANTI-WHEEL HOP Brace/bar.

Report back

Smitty
Old 11-07-2003, 05:05 PM
Spectacular Aroma About

Originally posted by Smitty
Holy crap, Chad is finally ironing this out...

I think it will help but not solve the issue... We need a ANTI-WHEEL HOP Brace/bar.

Report back

Smitty
Yes we may need a brace/bar type deal but I want to see what can be done with this goo. The bushings are setting up right now. I was looking at a Z-bar insallation and getting some ideas. If it comes to that there is actually a perfect spot to do it. You can run a bar from the rear subframe mounting bolt to the shock mount on the lower arm without interfering with the wheel while it's turning. Could be some complexity making sure the geometry of it would not bind when the suspension moves up and down. Smitty, the filling of the motor mounts did make the car a lot easier to launch and the wheel hop is not nearly as violent. More of a skipping than a hopping. If we do a midwest get together at some point you'll have to check it out. My wife actually noticed the difference right away. She said "Wow that stuff you put in there really worked." (this was in regard to the 1-2 shift when she used to say "It sounds like you're going to break it." Much smoother on the quick shifts without the motor rocking around. I'm hoping this bushing mod will do something but it may take some other kind of bracing. THese bushings are totally hollow though so it may do more than what we're expecting. I haven't seen the inside of the crossmember where the radius rods mount yet though. I'm hoping there is enough surface area to trap the urethane. If not I'll be making a trip to Lowes to get some washers. I'll let you guys know how she drives when I get the bushings in.
Old 11-09-2003, 11:14 AM
Spectacular Aroma About

Well I put the bushings in. Still wheel hops. Kind of a dud. The hole in the subframe is kind of big so I think the bushing is still resting on the rubber part so I'm not getting much benefit out of the urethane. I went to the Hardware store to get some washers but I didn't have the bushing with me so I couldn't decide exactly what to get. I also found a really nice kitchen faucet for $25 so I made that my afternoon project. One nice side effect is that the front end lost a lot of it's clunkiness it's had since installing the Konis. It also feels tighter in the turns. I'll get some washers and give that a try. Don't know if I'll do it today though.