What's your lease payments?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2002, 12:41 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Matthew78
man, that's a sweet deal on a type-s 6spd. i'm just about to start negotiating.. what was your negotiation technique? thanks for the post, it's helpful.
Here's what I did: I e-mailed 6 different dealers within 300 miles or so of here and told them that I was a serious buyer ready to order a new CL-S 6-speed within 2 weeks, told them exactly what I wanted, and asked them to provide me with their best price on that exact car.

All six dealers e-mailed me within 24 hours (I was impressed, actually.) One of the dealers had exactly what we wanted already in stock and offered it to me at $200 over invoice. The dealer where we live told me to jump on it as it was the only Anthracite 6-speed around at the time and he couldn't match the price on an order. We took it, even though our lease on the car it is replacing isn't up for 2 more months.

You can get the dealer e-mail info from Acura's web site and invoice information from Edmunds.com or other similar sites.

Feel free to e-mail me if you'd like further info - I can probably tell you where to start. Just click on my profile and you can e-mail me from there.

By the way, I don't work for a dealer or finance company or anything, so I have no ulterior motives for convincing you to lease. It drives me crazy when leasing is misrepresented, and I can't seem to keep my mouth shut, especially when the lease deal is as assertive as the one Acura is offering. Acura is one of the few companies that still tries hard to get people to lease.

For comparison's sake, we just recently test-drove an Infiniti G35 coupe. The lease payment, with $2400 out of pocket vs. $850 for the Acura, was $580/month vs. the $405/month for the CL. The G35 is a nice car, but certainly not worth $175/mo + $1600 more up front than the CL.

Take care, and good luck!
Old 11-30-2002, 02:29 AM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by russianDude

I wonder how you people can be so sure in the number of miles you drive and your job security? You keep saying "I like switching cars every 3 years". What if on your third year you lose your job and now you wish you had bought this car in the begining to keep it.....

And if economy is bad or your wife is pregnant, you can drive it for like 10 years....

purchase is about having choices.....
dude...i dont mean to jump up and down on you, but you keep on bringing up the "lose your job" idea. But what about houses? If you lose your job you cant make house payments right? so is it a dumb idea to buy a house? no of course not, and im sure thats not what you were trying to say, but I doubt a lot of people have so much cash put away that they will be able to outright pay cash for such an expensive car...
Old 11-30-2002, 08:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
never mind I see its useless to argue.

All I was trying to say that you save more $$$ by buying $30K car and keeping it for 5 or more years vs. leasing new cars($30K price tag) every 2-3 years. I am talking about long term savings... and you keep brining up monthly payments....

I agree that lease is good for people who like to switch cars every 2-3 years ..... but this is certainly not the best way to save money if all your life you keep leasing.... again, its your life... to some people its more important to drive new car every 2 years than save $$$ for retirement....
Old 11-30-2002, 09:03 AM
Banned

never mind I see its useless to argue.

All I was trying to say that you save more $$$ by buying $30K car and keeping it for 5 or more years vs. leasing new cars($30K price tag) every 2-3 years. I am talking about long term savings... and you keep brining up monthly payments....

I agree that lease is good for people who like to switch cars every 2-3 years ..... but this is certainly not the best way to save money if all your life you keep leasing.... again, its your life... to some people its more important to drive new car every 2 years than save $$$ for retirement....
first of all, you keep bringing up this save money stuff, and you should realize one thing!: this is america dude! NO ONE has an obsession with saving money, or there won't be so many people with horrible credit card debt! your obsession with saving money is similar to mine! It comes from the fact that we have our roots outside of the united states. Your russian, I'm african.

secondly, you may, or may not save money by buying a car and keeping it 5+ years! Most non import cars have horrible depreciation, and right now there is a national new car obsession(thank GM with their 0% financing bull), and the used car market is suffering! Also, you may run into unexpected bills while trying to drive the car into the ground! higher milage cars cost the users more, and you will loose money that way. your vehicle history also affects your selling value! for instance if I have an accident in my tl, its fine as long as its fixed by the insureance company before turn-in! but for you, it goes on your vehicle record, and individual buyers will do their research, and depending on crash severity, theywill low ball you on the price!

think of leasing as FINANCING THE INITIAL DEPRICIATION of a car. and if the car is a high end brand, like bmw, that depreciation is low. also you don't have to lease for 2 years! mine is a 4 year, 48,000mile lease. think of that guy who posted on here a while ago who bought a brand new M3 at the age of 17!! everyone jumped on him because he bought a 65k+ car, when he should have saved the money! in my mind, I would have leased that M3! the depriciation for the first 4 years cannot be that much. that way, I put like 3k down, and have low monthly payments in the 400 to 500 bucks range. I instantly save 63k, to use towards insurance, and college savings! now in 4 years, I'm sure even the most die hard fan will want something else.........like say........the NEW M3! now you can go for it, freely.

also I think many people on here should have leased their cars! you get endless posts on here with buyers remorse, from folks who feel threatened by the NEW accord, new 350Z, wrx sti, new 14second neon, new this, new that! these people should have leased! that way, you just count down the years, and get that new ride you envying so much, instead of being misrable in your luxury car!
Old 11-30-2002, 09:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Ofcourse, this is america, people having different spending habits, they do things they like... they have different lifestyles... I was not discouraging that....

But when a simple question comes of how to save money in the long run -- changing new cars every 2 years is not the best way to go... This goes not only for lease, but also for buying cars...

I don't think there is to much risk in keeping a car for 7yr/100K miles.... If you buy nice Japanse brand and get extended warranty 7yr/100K miles you will be all set for 7yr/100K miles!
And in the end of 7yr/100K miles you will sell your $30K car for like $5K+ which you can use as a downpayment for another car.

Actually, this is not the best way. The best way is to buy 1-2 year old car, drive it for 5 years, sell it, and buy another one which is 1-2 year old..... If you draw depeciation curves this will be the most economical way....

But I like to get NEW stuff and be FIRST owner

Old 11-30-2002, 09:29 AM
Banned

Ofcourse, this is america, people having different spending habits, they do things they like... they have different lifestyles... I was not discouraging that....

But when a simple question comes of how to save money in the long run -- changing new cars every 2 years is not the best way to go... This goes not only for lease, but also for buying cars...

I don't think there is to much risk in keeping a car for 7yr/100K miles.... If you buy nice Japanse brand and get extended warranty 7yr/100K miles you will be all set for 7yr/100K miles!
And in the end of 7yr/100K miles you will sell your $30K car for like $5K+ which you can use as a downpayment for another car.

Actually, this is not the best way. The best way is to buy 1-2 year old car, drive it for 5 years, sell it, and buy another one which is 1-2 year old..... If you draw depeciation curves this will be the most economical way....

But I like to get NEW stuff and be FIRST owner

Actually, the best way to save money is adopting this rule: NEVER BUY any car above 3 grand!

yes, but your analogy with the 1 to 2 year old car is correct. I have a co-worker who does this, and he and I argue all the time about leaseing vs buying! in fact I went to look at used 2001 altima's with him the other day, and he said they were out of his price range! I told him to lease an '03 V6, or better yet a 350Z for the misses, and he sez: "hell no, boy! your not putting this dog on a lesh!"
Old 11-30-2002, 11:44 AM
10th Gear

i'm new to these boards, do you guys always whine and bitch like this?
Old 11-30-2002, 01:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Basically.........that's why this board is more entertaining than most.
Old 11-30-2002, 01:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

I have done both, I'll chime in...

I will never buy another car again, unless it's a pleasure car, & even then it will be something I want, & used. Like a 96 Impala SS, or older Corvette, or BMW M5. Why? read on...

I haven't bought, or leased many cars. Maybe my first experiences, have not been the norm. I bought a 00 Chrysler 300M back in 99. Car was expensive. Just about $34, because at the time it was new, & no discounts were given in my state. I gave them $6K down! But because it was my first new car, & my credit wasn't great, the best rate I could get was 9.8%. Even with that much down, I was still paying almost $600/month. That's alot of money. I could afford it, but still a big chunk. I was at the dealer 3 hours also. I drove this car alot, it had very few problems. I bought an extended warranty, & paid another $1000 for that. So far out of pocket money, up front has been $7K, & I'm still paying 600/month for it. I just pass 38K miles in the summer of 2001. I get a water leak from somewhere under the dash. Seem my great extended warranty doesn't cover water leaks. Had to shell out another $500 to get this fixed. So far out of pocket is $7500, not included, money for oil changes, & a tranny service. Then I look up book value in September of 2001. & find out my 2 year old $34K car with 40K miles, is worth only $17K! I still owed about $14K on it, & decided to sell it. I was lucky to get $19K for it because it had 18's. That was my buying experience.

My leased CL-S is my first lease I'd figured I'd try a lease out. I emailed the dealers by me, got prices, got fiancial stuff faxed to me. Had everything worked out before going to the dealer. When I went I was there 15 minutes, & drove my car home. Got the price I wanted, the milage I wanted, & out of pocket was less then $600. So far I had 1 oil change at $12.99+tax, & have a trouble free, rattle free car so far. I will not have to worry about resale, or going out of warranty.
For me, right now, leasing makes more sense.
Old 11-30-2002, 03:28 PM
Safety Car

bwhahahahhaha

Old 11-30-2002, 03:41 PM
Suzuka Master

yeah, we like to bi*tch.... its such a pleasure to b*tch

I came to conclusion that lease or buy depends on individual..... for people like me -- BUY is better.... In a short summary I feel better that I OWN something, and can do whatever I want with my property
Old 11-30-2002, 04:08 PM
Advanced

In a short summary I feel better that I OWN something, and can do whatever I want with my property
This from a guy with no mods! Hehe....
Old 11-30-2002, 10:57 PM
A-CL Zen Buddha Master

In a short summary I feel better that I OWN something, and can do whatever I want with my property

Technically if you are making payments, regardless of leasing or purchasing, the Bank still owns it....its not officially yours until you have the title in hand. Even if you lease you have the option of one day having the title in had...just end up paying a little more.
Old 12-01-2002, 01:28 AM
Instructor

I leased my CL Type S with the following mods:

Comptech Sways/Exhaust
Factory Rear Spoiler
Eibach Prokit

all installed for 3k total walkout (tax, down payment, registration, etc) and 399 a month. Great deal if you ask me.

Now, regarding the financial plausibility of leasing. My wife is an investment banker, and she thinks it is much more prudent to lease the CL-S, why?

1) Poor resale value
2) We live in a higher crime area (Oakland)
3) I have guaranteed income (I'm a doctor)

However, if you want to do with your car what you want, ie mods etc, you definitely want to buy.
Old 12-01-2002, 02:11 AM
One Bad Mutha

Location: From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
Hey Matt,

All I can say is that I took over the lease on my CL-S from a buddy of mine for only a 50$ transfer fee. He initially put down $3500 to get the payments down to $340 a month which is what I now pay.

Do I recommend a lease? Not really, I did it only for my divorce. I gave one of my vehicles to my wife, and then I had to look broke as hell so she couldnt come after me for any alimony. Let's just say it worked.

But I see you are in So Cal like myself, we all drive the shit out of our vehicles here. I have a year and 4 months to go on the term, and the car has 23K on it now, considered to be high. Which is why I drive my trusty beater (88 Corolla) back and forth to work (100mi). My CL-S sits in the garage most of the time, I use it only on weekends. My divorce is up in Mar 03', I plan to sell it private party by then, pay off the lease and just get a decent used car for around 7K. You drive way too much in SoCal to lease.......