what ever happed to ATTS?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 04:11 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what ever happed to ATTS?????

im not sure if you guys know anything about Honda Preludes, i dont know much myself, i was just researching preludes for my girlfreind as she wants to get a car to start modding (now that she saw how much fun it is to go to the drag strip and pull awesome times with my car!! ) i read that there was a 2,500 dollar option on them called ATTS and it was some sort of high tech system that drastically reduced oversteer and enabled the FWD prelude to accelerate HARD going through turns and what not. it is said (in a FWD sport coupe comparison i read) that it seriously made the Prelude FEEL like it was a RWD car and not a FWD....what ever happend to that technology??? any chance acura could throw it on the next CL/TL??? if acura sticks with FWD for the next CL/TL (which i wouldnt mind, being in the snowy state of wisconsin) that technology should be able to help it put 280-300 hp to the ground better, dont you think??? anyone ever do any research on this??
Old 11-04-2002, 04:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Wasn't that the all wheel steering system that they incorporated into the older Preludes? If so.. I think there were problems with it and it led to the removal of it as an option. It was the only Honda with it at the time.. and since it was removed... there's never been another one.....
Old 11-04-2002, 04:31 PM
6 Forward 1 Back

Received 312 Likes on 155 Posts
Originally posted by juniorbean
Wasn't that the all wheel steering system that they incorporated into the older Preludes? If so.. I think there were problems with it and it led to the removal of it as an option. It was the only Honda with it at the time.. and since it was removed... there's never been another one.....
ATTS was actually on the last generation Prelude SH models. What I find interesting is the Limited Slip Diff on the 6 speed CL's is described to do the similiar thing ATTS did for the prelude. If slip is detected on a curve on an inside wheel the outer wheel compensates for it and keeps the nose in line. . or something like that. . .
Old 11-04-2002, 05:28 PM
is Pretty Much a Moron

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
ATTS (Active Tourqe Transfer System) was reborn for 2003 in the CL-S6. For al intents and purposes, the HLSD in the 6MT is the same as ATTS. They both obvoiusly work real well, as C&D voted (A while Back) the Prelude the best handling car under 30k and recently said that the CLS was the best handling FWD car they ever tested. Pretty neat stuff.
Old 11-04-2002, 05:48 PM
Advanced

ATTS and a LSD have similar goals, and similar effects, but they are quite different. A powerful front wheel drive car with neither technology tends to spin the inside front wheel when cornering hard. It also tends to understeer, the more gas you give it. ATTS sensed right turns and left turns, and used a planetary gear to actually force torque to the outside wheel. So in a right hand turn, more torque would be put to the left wheel. And in a left hand turn, more torque to the right wheel. Around on on-ramp, when you put your boot in it, the car actually jumped to the inside of the turn rather than understeering more. It literally forces the outside wheel to spin faster than the inside wheel, rather than just "letting" it spin faster as a differential does. It feels very counterintuitive, and very cool.

An LSD just keeps the inside wheel from spinning, that's why it's called limited slip. So if the inside wheel starts to spin much faster than the outside wheel, the diff provides a bit of locking force, so a good chunk of that torque is forced to the other wheel. But it can never force more than half the torque to that other wheel, best case it could completely lock up and have 50/50 between the front two wheels. LSD's are much more reliable than the computerized ATTS, and are evidently more suited for higher horsepower cars, and especially in racing applications. But ATTS is a heck of alot more fun on the street in a moderately powered sports car.

(I sold my '98 SH to get my CL-S)
Old 11-04-2002, 06:34 PM
Fell off my Rocking-Chair

Originally posted by Speed_Racer
What I find interesting is the Limited Slip Diff on the 6 speed CL's is described to do the similiar thing ATTS did for the prelude. If slip is detected on a curve on an inside wheel the outer wheel compensates for it and keeps the nose in line. . or something like that. . .
thought the stability control did that?
Old 11-04-2002, 07:38 PM
Advanced

Nope. Stability control senses unnatural attitudes of the car (oversteer, severe understeer), and applies individual brakes to try and bring the car back into line. I think it can also cut the throttle a bit as a last resort. It can't do much under heavy acceleration, and any time it does work, it's doing so by slowing the car; not by adjusting the torque to different driving wheels.

And all that said, the 6MT doesn't have stability control, only the autos do.
Old 11-04-2002, 09:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by TypeSAddict
ATTS (Active Tourqe Transfer System) was reborn for 2003 in the CL-S6. For al intents and purposes, the HLSD in the 6MT is the same as ATTS. They both obvoiusly work real well, as C&D voted (A while Back) the Prelude the best handling car under 30k and recently said that the CLS was the best handling FWD car they ever tested. Pretty neat stuff.
no this is not the same thing

go ask civic4983 what happen to him when he tried spirited driving on the curvy road in his cl-s 6mt.

sidemarker